“Really central and quiet”

Radisson Blu Edwardian Sussex Hotel
Ranked #377 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Really central and quiet”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Stayed for a night in a single room (on the fourth floor, at the front). Be aware: when they say a single room, they aren't kidding. It was nicely appointed (all the usual Radisson Blu bits and bobs including magazines in the room - and the fish channel! to which I am oddly devoted) and had a comfortable bed. However, it was very small and, being in the roof, had a relatively low ceiling. This wasn't a problem for me as I was really only after a central place to crash for the night; the lack of any sort of desk space could be a problem if you intend to get any work done, though.

The staff were lovely; very friendly, helpful and attentive.

It's very centrally located but, for all that, manages to be really peaceful and I got a great night's sleep - much better than I often do in London hotels. It manages this by being in what's described as 'a cul-de-sac'; in effect, it's round the back of the shops. Again, not a problem for me (and not something the hotel can do anything about!) but it's worth being aware of if you're planning a trip where you want the sort of atmosphere of being able to look out of the window and gaze across the London skyline - your view here is more of some wheelie bins and a large office window.

I got the room as a lastminute 'secret' hotel which made it reasonable; I'd absolutely be prepared to stay here again, but probably not if I were paying rack rate.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Shyam_Antyah, Front Office Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Sussex Hotel, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Helen,

Thank you for posting your review following your recent stay.

I am glad that you had a good stay and a great night's sleep. You are so right about our location and quietness, the hotel is a calming and peaceful retreat from the hordes of Oxford Street. Myself and the team were pleased to see their efforts being recognised on tripadvisor and this definitely acts as a great motivator.

I note your feedback regarding your room size and want to reassure you that we do have other room categories that are more suitable to the business traveller or long stay guests. Perhaps we can discuss your next stay together as I would be very happy to personally assist you and I know we have a room that will perfectly tick both the space and value box. So please reach out to me via email on antyahm@radisson.com.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards,

Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
Gateshead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2014

just returned from stay at this hotel and I have to say i I would definitely recommend it to any one ! Very well maintained,, helpful staff, and the most amazing breakfast. planning a return visit in the summer

Debbie
Newcastle

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Gamal_Sadaka, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Sussex Hotel, responded to this review, 18 May 2014
Dear Debbie,

Thank you very much for choosing the Radisson Blu Edwardian Sussex and for sharing such a lovely review.

Your observations about our staff are most encouraging and it is refreshing to know that you also enjoyed our extensive breakfast offering.

The team and I look forward to your visit in the summer, please do drop me a line on sadakag@radisson.com, should you require any assistance in making your reservation.

Warmest regards,

Gamal Sadaka
Guest Relations Manager
Staffs, England
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I'd booked a no-smoking room through a top secret hotels site and paid a hefty sum, given it was a discount offer, and was expecting Radisson Blu quality. Oh dear. I had one of the smallest rooms I've ever stayed in, and it was a smoking room. Horrible and choking. The room and bathroom was tiny, but to be fair, well designed so it could pass as a hotel room. Fittings were fine, but the lack of space and smell made this a definite no-go in future. The receptionist's reply was "sorry, we're full" so that was unimpressive - especially as the booking was clearly a no-smoking room. A reduction in rate or free breakfast might have made me feel a tiny bit valued perhaps....

Room Tip: 4th floor seems to have low ceilings and my room, 403 I think, was tiny
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
NesarSiddiqui, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Sussex Hotel, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Skyjokey99,
It is with much disappointment I read of your unsatisfactory stay with us here on Trip advisor. May I take this opportunity to offer you my unreserved apologies.
Some of our single rooms tend to be smaller and more suitable for the short stay travellers. It would appear that on this occasion the allocation of the room was not matched to your requirement and it being a smoking room when you had requested a non-smoking has clearly caused you great inconvenience.
I was also concerned to read that no gesture was made when you had voiced your complaint at the Front Desk. Please accept my apologies again, this is most unusual and I would like to assure you that it has been addressed with the relevant staff member.
Please contact me the next time you are in London and allow me to arrange your next reservation. I would very much like to have another opportunity to serve you and the chance to reinstate your confidence with us.
My apologies again for any inconvenience caused and I look forward to welcoming you again.
Kindest regards, Nesar
Abuja, Nigeria
Reviewed 9 May 2014

My experience at the Radission Blu was fantastic. It started with the lady at the front desk who offered me very cold water upon arrival. When she realized I was concerned about the size of the room, she referred me to the manager. Akil was very professional, super friendly and very helpful. He even helped me take my 2 heavy boxes to my room He was very accommodating and did everything in his power to ensure that I was comfortable. My flight the next day was at 10:50pm, their checkout time was 11am. He accommodated me to stay in the hotel much longer until it was convenient to go to the airport. I must say I am very impressed with this Hotel. I will surely stay here again. Thank you Akil. Best part is, it's literally 2 minutes walk from Oxford Street. Looooove it!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Maryam L
Shyam_Antyah, Front Office Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Sussex Hotel, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear Maryam,

What a wonderful review! Thank you for taking the time to share this with the world.

I am so thrilled to learn that you were impressed with our hotel and service and Akil was so happy to see his name being mentioned on this public platform. We pride ourself in giving that personal and friendly touch when looking after our guests and your words act as a seal of approval.

I am pleased that you will stay with us again and we are very much looking forward to being your host again.

Kindest regards,

stratford upon avon
Reviewed 8 May 2014

This was good, for London, where it is easy to get ripped off when it comes to staying in an hotel.
The location is good and as quiet as you can expect this close to Marble Arch.
The staff were friendly and took time to listen.
The corridors were narrow but my room was a good size, although the bathroom was not.
The bed was comfy and there were extra pillows.
I didn't eat or use the bar.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much indeed for staying with us and for writing about your stay.

It was a pleasure to have you with us and I am very happy that you have had a good stay. Your kind words about the staff are very rewarding and will no doubt motivate us to keep serving our guests with passion and attention. I hope that we will have the opportunity of hosting an evening meal on a future visit. At Scoff & Banter, each dish uses the very best quality ingredients cooked just so to deliver all that’s best in no nonsense British eating.

Look forward to having you with us again soon.

Kind regards,

Puerto de Mazarron, Spain
Reviewed 7 May 2014

my booking had been for 2 kingsize rooms, however on check in there was only one and a twin, having seen the room and found it unsatisfactory the matter was resolved , rapidly, efficiently, and professionally by the on duty manager, and we had a very enjoyable stay, the hotel is very central and would recommend it

Room Tip: avoid 205, very dark and has extractor fan outside window
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank chris h
Shyam_Antyah, Front Office Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Sussex Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear Chris,

Thank you for sharing your valuable feedback to us via tripadvisor.

I am pleased that you had a very enjoyable stay and that our Duty Manager was able to resolve the issue with your room professionally, efficiently and in a timely manner. We pride ourselves for always being there for our guests and your testimony here is indeed very reassuring.

Thank you for recommending us, we cannot wait to have you with us again.

Kindest regards,

Zagreb, Croatia
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Excellent hotel in an even better location in the heart of London just 50 meters from Oxford Street. Very friendly and helpful staff. Excellent breakfast. Single room was a bit small, but quite sufficient, because it has a great layout. My room was on the south side, fourth floor, maybe a bit noisy from the street, but it is Londond. :) Only complaint, the lift is slow :)

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing us for your London stay and for sharing your amazing feedback on tripadvisor.

I was thrilled to learn that you have enjoyed your stay at what you have described as 'a great hotel in a great location'. I have taken your point about the lift on board and rest assured that it has been passed on to our product team for further development. It was our pleasure to be your host and the team and I look forward to the opportunity of serving you again.

Warmest regards,