“Helpful Staff” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #386 of 1,086 Hotels in London
Scotland
“Helpful Staff”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Sussex for 2 nights after staying in May on another business trip. I was booked into a single room which was about the same size as a small boxroom. The small single bed was against the wall and after a terrible first night's sleep (banging knees and elbows every time I moved during the night) I requested a different room.
The front desk staff couldn't have been more helpful (Mathilde I think) and I was moved to a larger room with a double bed.
The breakfast was nice and again the staff friendly albeit a bit disorganised. On both occasions I have stayed here, I have had to get my coffee to go as it took so long to arrive.
The location is great and staff helpful and polite which goes a long way in a city such as this.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Gamal_Sadaka, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Sussex Hotel, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Tripadvisor following your stay at the Radisson Blu Edwardian Sussex.

Please accept our genuine sincerest apologies for the terrible first night’s sleep. Your feedback about the size of the room you stayed in is appreciated. Our rooms do vary in size and some happen to be larger than others although they all receive the same attention when it comes to decoration and in-room facilities.

Your praising comments towards the staff are much appreciated from the members of the team, especially for Matilda, which she credited by our General Manager.

However, we note your point about our staff at the restaurant being poorly organised and take valuable learning from this.

If possible, please contact me personally the next time you are visiting London, and you will allow us to reinstate your confidence with us and to serve you in the best possible way.

Awaiting for your next visit, and to welcoming you back soon.

Warmest regards

sadakag@radisson.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Arabic first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

Very small rooms, offered a better room for extra-payment! Was waiting for my order in restaurant for 30 minutes! and no one apologised for the delay....Everything is too small for the price I have paid.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Radisson Hotels

Gamal_Sadaka, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Sussex Hotel, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your constructive feedback about your recent stay with us. We place enormous value on what our guests have to say and can only improve if we truly listen and take genuine action.

Let me take this opportunity to express my sincere apologies in regards to the issues that you faced with the room size and the service delay at the Restaurant. The room sizes at the Sussex hotel do vary due to the age of our building and some tend to be smaller than others. However, they are all equipped with the same in-room facilities. Please be assured that the point you have raised has been highlighted to the Restaurant Manager and the necessary steps will be put in place immediately to substantiate these shortfalls.

I hope we will have the pleasure of serving you again. My email address is sadakag@radisson.com if I can be of any assistance.

Kind regards

Newry, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

The staff were really lovely and helpful in every way. The hotel's location was excellent. Only negative was the size of the room, so so small. Should have complained about the size but the location and cleanliness of room and bathroom made up for it

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Radisson Hotels

Gamal_Sadaka, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Sussex Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear Loraine,

Thank you for sharing your feedback in regards to your recent stay at the Radisson Blu Edwardian Sussex.

Your comments about the staff here will definitely act as a motivator in our endeavour to provide a World Class service at this boutique hotel. On the other hand, I am sorry that we did not know that you were not happy with the room size, as we might have been able to find you an alternative room without any problem.

It was a delight that you enjoyed our prime location and we hope that we will have the opportunity to host another stay for you in the future.

Tuners Hill
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

Stayed here for a night out at the theatre, checking was easy, the hotel is in the perfect situation, very close to selfridges food hall, a couple of mins from marble arch and perfect access to oxford street.
The staff couldn't do enough for you, the room was the smallest room I think I have ever stayed in, but very clean, compact and an extremely comfortable bed, everything you needed for one evening, you can certainly only fit one person at a time in the bathroom.
Breakfast is not included as standard, but there a few coffee shops nearby so really not a problem.
Perfect location, would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Laraine,

Thank you kindly for staying with us and for sharing your valuable feedback on Tripadvisor.

I am so delighted that you have made the most of our phenomenal location and that you have enjoyed the cleanliness of the hotel. You can always count on our professional and dedicated team, who take great pleasure in making our guests’ stay most comfortable.

We appreciate your comments about our room size; they do vary due to age of the building. Some of our rooms do tend to be smaller than others. However, majority of our rooms in all categories are perfect for long stays with plenty of in-room space, with some having decent sized bathrooms.

I am thrilled that you will have no hesitation in returning to our hotel and we very much look forward to welcoming you back.

Peterborough
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

Stayed here on a Saturday night as part of a celebratory weekend.

The primary reason for staying in a hotel is having a bed and room for a night. The minimum expectation is that it is clean and comfortable. I always book minimum 4 star hotels as I think these expectations will surely be met and anything over and above this is a bonus. Obviously I can only comment on the room we stayed in...

Clearly a fantastic, central location. Offered some iced water on arrival which was a nice touch and the receptionist was very welcoming. However...was informed when checking in that the bed in our room was not one of the biggest and as we hadn't booked breakfast they would like to offer it for free to make up for it, plus a potential upgrade on my next visit.

She wasn't kidding...

Not only was the bed small, the room was also very small, so much so that the bed was pushed up against a wall so that access was only from one side. Thankfully my wife is petite (I'm not) but still didn't sleep very well. I couldn't believe this in a 4 star hotel. The bathroom was also tiny...no chance of more than one person being in it at a time. For me, it just wasn't a double room and should never have been offered as such. It's like buying a restricted view ticket for the theatre but only finding out when you get there and being offered a bag of nuts to make up for it.

30 minutes after arrival we did get a courtesy call to check if everything was ok - it wasn't - but no additional solutions offered.

Other aspects of our hotel: Breakfast was OK; when we returned to the hotel around midnight there was a room service tray that had been left in the hallway, it was still there when we checked out at 11am.

Room Tip: Avoid room 305. There were also rooms in stairwells which seemed a bit strange.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank darrenposh
Gamal_Sadaka, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Sussex Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear Darren,

Thank you for sharing your constructive feedback on Tripadvisor. I am truly sorry to learn of your disappointment with the size of the bedroom you have been allocated.

Yes, few of our rooms tend to be more suitable for short stays which are smaller than others however, majority of our rooms are of a decent size and perfect for long stays with plenty of space for luggage. We are always willing to find a room that meets our guest’s requirements and I apologise that we were not able to offer you a better alternative on this occasion due to the lack of availability. On the other hand, we had to be honest with you upon check in that room is compact hence we offered you a complimentary breakfast.

On the positive note, I am glad that you were touched by the warm welcome of our reception team and that you enjoyed our fantastic central location.

I hope that you will provide us with another opportunity to look after you and the chance to reinstate your confidence with us. Please drop me an email on sadakag@radisson.com the next time you are in London so that I can personally oversee your reservation and ensure your next stay is satisfactory in all aspects.

Kindest regards,

Norton Fitzwarren, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

Very stylish, great value hotel only a few yards from Oxford Street. Done out to a very high standard with comfortable rooms and friendly, attentive staff. Quiet and peaceful, with great local pub around the corner, you wouldn't realise you were so close to Oxford St.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Dave,

Thank you ever so much for such praising review of the Radisson Blu Edwardian Sussex. It is truly heart-warming to read that you had a wonderful experience in our company.

I am astonished to learn that you enjoyed the stylish décor, the human element of our business, and of course our ideal location, as Oxford Street is on our doorsteps, perfect for shopping and sightseeing and even if one is here on a business trip.

Myself and the rest of the Sussex team are eager to welcome you back again and host another lovely stay in the future.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

Excellent location with friendly, helpful staff. Fantastic breakfast. If you don't mind walking don't bother taking a tube. We walked everywhere as this was so central and we so a lot more of London than we would have otherwise.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Gamal_Sadaka, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Sussex Hotel, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Margaret,

Thank you very much for such a fantastic recommendation on Tripadvisor!

You are very right about our location, we are so conveniently located that it makes London seem like a small town, with all amenities only steps away. Your comment about our staff is most encouraging and I am glad to know that you also enjoyed our extensive breakfast service

I am truly delighted to learn that everything went smoothly throughout your stay and we are eager to welcome you back for another brilliant stay.

With best regards,