“Work trip”

Royal Lancaster London
Ranked #176 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 12 November 2011

Recently visited this hotel for a dinner evening for a works event. What can I say,was fortunate to get a suite with views over looking BT tower on one side and views over London from the other window. When entering the room WOW was all I could think wish I was here for more than one night. Definitely would love to visit this hotel again, staff were very attentive, rooms were amazing and you even get your bed turned down at night (nice touch) not used to visiting hotels like this. Breakfast in the morning buffet style with lots of choice and waiters were very accommodating was just what I needed.

Tube station just around corner and Hyde park opposite. Stroll to Harrods about a leisurely 1/2hr walk through park.

Definitely a hotel to be visited, I hope to again

Room Tip: If at all possible get a suite with all round views, 13th floor has an amazing suite
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
LancasterLondonHotel, Manager at Royal Lancaster London, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2011

It is lovely to hear that you had such an enjoyable night with us, we also hope that you visit again soon and would be pleased to help you plan your next trip. Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your stay, we really do appreciate it.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,651)

Reviewed 11 November 2011

After spending months checking reviews online, my wife and I picked the Lancaster London and we were nbot disappointed. It's literally a stone's throw from the underground and just a few blocks from Paddington Railway Station. You can get from Heathrow to here in just a very short time. (Hint: Save money by taking the Heathrow Local instead of the Heathrow Express. It's the same type of train and makes just a few stops and it is much cheaper. Only takes about 15-20 minutes longer than the Express).
The rooms at the Lancaster are great as is the service. The restaurant left me cold, however. In three visits we had the same slow, irritating service. Food is good and not overpricd by London standards. Instead of the high priced breakfast, walk a short way to several places that are much cheaper. We ate at Luigi's Sandwich Shop most mornings and had a terrific Full English Breakfast for less than half the price of the Lancaster.
The concierge was great. When my wife and daughter took the tour to Stonehenge that we booked through the concierge desk, they were treated badly and had a terrible time. When we complained, the hotel refunded half of cost of the tour. They explained that this was their half of the tour cost, but they couldn't get the tour provider to refund their half.
We stayed for 20 days and had the time of our lives. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Spend the extra for the deluxe room. It's small by American standards, but much larger that the...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for choosing to base your UK trip at Lancaster London, we are delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay and really appreciate all of your comments. It is great to hear that you were so comfortable in your accommodations and found our location to be convenient for your travels. We are addressing your comments about the restaurant service, thank you for your feedback.
We hope to welcome you back in the near future; please do not hesitate to contact us if we can help you plan your next visit.

Reviewed 10 November 2011

In September of this year, my son and I stayed 6 nights at the Lancaster. We enjoyed our stay and really have no complaints about the place. I loved the fact that the tube was just around the corner, hop on hop off bus across the road. The walk back from Marble Arch although a tad further than I had imagined was still a comfortable walk.
Overall a nice place to stay and yes I would consider staying there again if/when I am ever back in London.

Room Tip: we didn't have any problems, originally on floor 5 then 'upgraded' to floor 16 to be on...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
LancasterLondonHotel, Manager at Royal Lancaster London, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us, we are delighted you had such a lovely time. We hope to welcome you back in the very near future; in the meantime, please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Reviewed 10 November 2011

Stayed for 9 nights and thankfully we were too busy sightseeing to spend much time in the room. The entire 11th floor smelled terribly of smoke and I'm a smoker, they need to remove the carpets and open some windows. The lobby is nice and the entrance staff were ok, they did provide us with an early checkin which was the only plus we experienced by booking here aside from the convenience of the tube station.

We stayed in a superior room with city view and the view was lovely at night. The upholstered chair had stains that made me want to put towels down on it before I even sat. The carpet looks like it used to be white but is now a sickly yellow with stains throughout. The bathroom had water droplet stains upon our arrival ( I hope they were only water) all across the bathroom floor and it appeared as though the area under the sink needed a good cleaning and repainting. There was even a pubic hair in the tub area that my husband just removed with a tissue as we were too embarrassed to call down about it. I used hand sanitizer I'd brought along to wash the bathtub myself before showering. Gross and completely unforgivable.

The housekeeping was very random, somedays they seemed to provide things and sometimes not. The Island restaurant consistantly brought our meals in rotation instead of together. A friend ordered toast and coffee and received it several minutes after I'd finished my entire meal they then proceeded to ask us to wait 10 minutes for change when we had a tourbus waiting outside.

I had been reading before booking that all the rooms were being updated and I had hoped they would have been completed by our arrival. I almost wondered if the people who were booking through other sites instead of directly with the hotel were getting the old rooms like me.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple

We are very sorry that you did not experience the high level of satisfaction enjoyed by the majority of our guests. We really appreciate your taking the time to write about your stay, as we value all feedback and are genuinely looking into the issues you have raised. Our Housekeeping Department is usually very thorough and we are investigating what happened on this occasion.
For future reference, we do our very best to resolve any complaints brought to our attention while guests are in-house, including where possible changing which room has been allocated.
Please rest assured that we strive toward guest delight for all of our customers, whichever channel they have booked our hotel through.
We hope that you will return to Lancaster London soon so that we may have another chance to impress you. In the meantime, should you wish to discuss your stay in more detail, please do not hesitate to contact Guest Relations.

Reviewed 10 November 2011

The Lancaster London offers modern, comfortable rooms, a great location, excellent breakfast, and all you could want when visiting the city.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the park
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
LancasterLondonHotel, Manager at Royal Lancaster London, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2011

Thank you for taking the time to recommend our hotel, we really do appreciate it, and hope to welcome you back very soon. Please don't hesitate to get in touch if we can help you plan your next visit to London.

Reviewed 9 November 2011

Had asked for a non-smoking superior room as attending IoD conference for 2 nights. Presumed all hotels were non-smoking so was but confused first night with smoke smell in corridor. Room 601 pillows were smelling of smoke. Complained in am and asked for change of room. I asked for discount as health was at risk sleeping in this environment. Got a smaller room 520 and was told it was same standard. They condescended to let me have money back for my lunch! Big deal. No way were any rooms superior. I have paid 1/4 price for better rooms in a Travelodge. Bathrooms barely big enough to swing a cat. Very disappointing. Not worth the extortionate price although food at
Conference was excellent as was the Thai restaurant.

• Stayed: November 2011
LancasterLondonHotel, Manager at Royal Lancaster London, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay. It is disappointing to hear that you did not experience the high level of guest satisfaction enjoyed by the vast majority of our customers.
We are very sorry that you were allocated a smoking room - standard procedure is to check with guests whether they prefer smoking or non-smoking rooms upon check-in, and we are looking into why this did not happen on this occasion.
Both 601 and 520 are Superior rooms, however as you rightly pointed out, 601 is slightly larger as it is located on the corner of the building.
We hope that you will return to Lancaster London so that we may have another chance to impress you. In the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact Guest Relations if you would like to discuss your stay in more detail.

Reviewed 8 November 2011

We stay at this hotel every time we go to London. We were asked if our stay was for business or pleasure, and my husband explained that we were celebrating our 34th wedding anniversary. When we arrived, we found our bed covered in rose petals and a bottle of champagne on ice waiting for us - this was a total surprise and absolutely delightful. It's nice to know that these things do happen!!
We had breakfast in our room on both days, but the breakfast was not very warm on the second day, but this was only a minor blip in a wonderful weekend.
Thanks to all the warm, welcoming staff at the Lancaster...we'll be back soon!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the upper floors, and preferably facing Hyde Park - what a view!
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your loyalty and for choosing to celebrate your anniversary at Lancaster London.
We are delighted to have helped make it such a special occasion. We are however very sorry that your second room service breakfast did not meet our usual high standard and are looking into why this occurred.
Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay, as it is feedback like this that enables us to continue improving our service. We very much look forward to your next visit; in the meantime, please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.