“Great Value, Great Location”
Review of Lancaster London

Lancaster London
Ranked #229 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Great Value, Great Location”
Reviewed 13 November 2011

We stayed at the Lancaster London this weekend as part of a party of people gathering for a 50th birthday celebration. We did not choose this hotel, it was booked by my mother in law as it was close to the club where her birthday was being held.

I was really pleased with the location of the hotel, it is in Kensington/Chelsea, not far from Kensington high street where there are loads of good shops. It is also only a short distance to harrods (10 mins by taxi) and Oxford Street. The hotel is literally on the doorstep of hyde park, and some rooms have a view across it. Its a lovely quiet area, but still close to all the major attractions.

The hotel is not the most attractive building from the outside, but don't let that put you off, the entrance and lobby area are very nice and what you would expect from a good quality four star hotel. The hotel has on sight car parking which we used, there are around 40 spaces.

Our room was on the 13th floor (room 1309) of the hotel giving us great views across the city, although my brother in law had a better view (Big Ben, London Eye) who was also on the 13th floor (room 1312), but on the opposite side.

Our room was a reasonable size for London (i always find hotel rooms smaller in london in general), with two large windows allowing lots of light. The room was clean and nicely decorated with a comfortable bed. We had a very good nights sleep, we could not hear any noise from outside or from other hotel guests. The bathroom was again a good size and clean, we had a good powerful shower with plenty of hot water.

We had breakfast included with our stay, which was a buffet breakfast. We were seated next to some large windows which are all around the breakfast room, with a view over to Hyde park. The breakfast itself was very good, with something for everyone, there was a choice of a cooked breakfast (sausages, egg, tomatoes etc), Fruit, Cereals (with soya milk option), toast, pastries, and hams, cheese and olives etc. Also tea and coffee and a selection of fruit juices to drink.

Overall i would highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting London, it is great value in a great location. A very good four star hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank ChloeEdwards
LancasterLondonHotel, Manager at Lancaster London, responded to this review, 6 December 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write this very informative review, it will most certainly be very helpful to your fellow travellers. We are delighted you had such an enjoyable time with us and hope to welcome you back in the near future. In the meantime, please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (799)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 13 November 2011

After reading dozens of Tripadvisor reviews on various hotels in London, I took a chance with the Lancaster London on my first trip to London. While the reviews were somewhat mixed, the room rates were better here than in most properties I considered. This was a trip to meet up with my son, who was studying abroad, and to visit my sister, who lives in northwest England but would be meeting up with me to see the sights in London. We shared a twin bedded room. At check-in, I decided to splurge on a room on a higher level, based on the advice of other Tripadvisor reviewers. The helpful front desk attendant located a twin-bedded room on the 17th floor for a few pounds more than the original room.

What a view! We arrived in the evening to the sparkling skyline of London, including the Houses of Parliament and the London Eye. Gorgeous. The room was a little small, but roomy enough and well appointed. Comfortable bed, nice bath with marble tiles, and pleasant, traditional furniture. (My son's room was five floors below, considerably smaller, but still with pretty good views of the skyline.) My sister was happy with the selection of teas and she could ring for fresh milk, which generally arrived shortly after the call to room service. My only suggestion for the hotel is to add hair conditioner to their selection of their classy l'Occitaine amenities. Conditioner is really a basic essential, and I had to go shop for some the day after arrival.

The Lancaster London also offers evening turn-down service. After long days and evenings taking in London, we were delighted to find a straightened up room and a quaint little mat and slippers on each bedside when we arrived, bedraggled and weary, to our room

The staff we encountered were consistently friendly and helpful. We enjoyed a la carte breakfast in the Island Grill room, foregoing the expensive buffet that gets not-so-great reviews from others. Actually, the eggs florentine were delicious--perfectly poached egg and smooth and tangy hollendaise sauce--yum!

All in all, I think you have to be a pretty grumpy traveler not to enjoy the ambiance of this lovely hotel. As others have said, the tube is just a few meters from the hotel making it easy to get anywhere. Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens is across the street, and also contribute to the loveliness of the view.

Room Tip: Spend a little more to get a larger room and a better view. It's worth it!
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for taking a chance on us after reading our reviews! It is great to hear that advice from your fellow travellers helped you to make the most out of your time in London. We really appreciate you taking the time to write about your stay and hope to welcome you back very soon. Please don't hesitate to get in touch if we can be of any further assistance.
edinburgh
Reviewed 12 November 2011

Recently visited this hotel for a dinner evening for a works event. What can I say,was fortunate to get a suite with views over looking BT tower on one side and views over London from the other window. When entering the room WOW was all I could think wish I was here for more than one night. Definitely would love to visit this hotel again, staff were very attentive, rooms were amazing and you even get your bed turned down at night (nice touch) not used to visiting hotels like this. Breakfast in the morning buffet style with lots of choice and waiters were very accommodating was just what I needed.

Tube station just around corner and Hyde park opposite. Stroll to Harrods about a leisurely 1/2hr walk through park.

Definitely a hotel to be visited, I hope to again

Room Tip: If at all possible get a suite with all round views, 13th floor has an amazing suite
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
It is lovely to hear that you had such an enjoyable night with us, we also hope that you visit again soon and would be pleased to help you plan your next trip. Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your stay, we really do appreciate it.
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Reviewed 11 November 2011

After spending months checking reviews online, my wife and I picked the Lancaster London and we were nbot disappointed. It's literally a stone's throw from the underground and just a few blocks from Paddington Railway Station. You can get from Heathrow to here in just a very short time. (Hint: Save money by taking the Heathrow Local instead of the Heathrow Express. It's the same type of train and makes just a few stops and it is much cheaper. Only takes about 15-20 minutes longer than the Express).
The rooms at the Lancaster are great as is the service. The restaurant left me cold, however. In three visits we had the same slow, irritating service. Food is good and not overpricd by London standards. Instead of the high priced breakfast, walk a short way to several places that are much cheaper. We ate at Luigi's Sandwich Shop most mornings and had a terrific Full English Breakfast for less than half the price of the Lancaster.
The concierge was great. When my wife and daughter took the tour to Stonehenge that we booked through the concierge desk, they were treated badly and had a terrible time. When we complained, the hotel refunded half of cost of the tour. They explained that this was their half of the tour cost, but they couldn't get the tour provider to refund their half.
We stayed for 20 days and had the time of our lives. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Spend the extra for the deluxe room. It's small by American standards, but much larger that the...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for choosing to base your UK trip at Lancaster London, we are delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay and really appreciate all of your comments. It is great to hear that you were so comfortable in your accommodations and found our location to be convenient for your travels. We are addressing your comments about the restaurant service, thank you for your feedback.
We hope to welcome you back in the near future; please do not hesitate to contact us if we can help you plan your next visit.
Reviewed 10 November 2011

In September of this year, my son and I stayed 6 nights at the Lancaster. We enjoyed our stay and really have no complaints about the place. I loved the fact that the tube was just around the corner, hop on hop off bus across the road. The walk back from Marble Arch although a tad further than I had imagined was still a comfortable walk.
Overall a nice place to stay and yes I would consider staying there again if/when I am ever back in London.

Room Tip: we didn't have any problems, originally on floor 5 then 'upgraded' to floor 16 to be on...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
LancasterLondonHotel, Manager at Lancaster London, responded to this review, 25 November 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us, we are delighted you had such a lovely time. We hope to welcome you back in the very near future; in the meantime, please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 10 November 2011

Stayed for 9 nights and thankfully we were too busy sightseeing to spend much time in the room. The entire 11th floor smelled terribly of smoke and I'm a smoker, they need to remove the carpets and open some windows. The lobby is nice and the entrance staff were ok, they did provide us with an early checkin which was the only plus we experienced by booking here aside from the convenience of the tube station.

We stayed in a superior room with city view and the view was lovely at night. The upholstered chair had stains that made me want to put towels down on it before I even sat. The carpet looks like it used to be white but is now a sickly yellow with stains throughout. The bathroom had water droplet stains upon our arrival ( I hope they were only water) all across the bathroom floor and it appeared as though the area under the sink needed a good cleaning and repainting. There was even a pubic hair in the tub area that my husband just removed with a tissue as we were too embarrassed to call down about it. I used hand sanitizer I'd brought along to wash the bathtub myself before showering. Gross and completely unforgivable.

The housekeeping was very random, somedays they seemed to provide things and sometimes not. The Island restaurant consistantly brought our meals in rotation instead of together. A friend ordered toast and coffee and received it several minutes after I'd finished my entire meal they then proceeded to ask us to wait 10 minutes for change when we had a tourbus waiting outside.

I had been reading before booking that all the rooms were being updated and I had hoped they would have been completed by our arrival. I almost wondered if the people who were booking through other sites instead of directly with the hotel were getting the old rooms like me.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
We are very sorry that you did not experience the high level of satisfaction enjoyed by the majority of our guests. We really appreciate your taking the time to write about your stay, as we value all feedback and are genuinely looking into the issues you have raised. Our Housekeeping Department is usually very thorough and we are investigating what happened on this occasion.
For future reference, we do our very best to resolve any complaints brought to our attention while guests are in-house, including where possible changing which room has been allocated.
Please rest assured that we strive toward guest delight for all of our customers, whichever channel they have booked our hotel through.
We hope that you will return to Lancaster London soon so that we may have another chance to impress you. In the meantime, should you wish to discuss your stay in more detail, please do not hesitate to contact Guest Relations.
florida
Reviewed 10 November 2011

The Lancaster London offers modern, comfortable rooms, a great location, excellent breakfast, and all you could want when visiting the city.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the park
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
LancasterLondonHotel, Manager at Lancaster London, responded to this review, 16 November 2011
Thank you for taking the time to recommend our hotel, we really do appreciate it, and hope to welcome you back very soon. Please don't hesitate to get in touch if we can help you plan your next visit to London.