“Good place to stay.”

Royal Lancaster London
Ranked #176 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 15 June 2013

The hotel in very nice. The staff is kind and helpful. Location is extremely comfortable, right beside the northern area of Hyde Park, and right beside a small underground station that will get you anywhere in London fairly easily. Also, the area of the hotel is packed with different resturants and cafes, you could always find something to fit your taste. There aren't any other touristic attractions near the hotel, but getting to them is made very easy due to the underground station mention above.
We did not have breakfast at the hotel, so we cannot comment on that. We did eat dinner at the hotel resturant, which was very good, at an appropriate cost. Not too expensive, but definitely not cheap.
We had two twin beds in our rooms, that were too soft and uncomfortable to sleep in for us.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Avner Y
LancasterLondonHotel, Manager at Royal Lancaster London, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

We are pleased that you found the location so convenient. It is a shame that you were not able to get a good night’s sleep, but we are pleased that you liked the team and found us kind and helpful!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,660)

Reviewed 15 June 2013

Wow, I had booked thru booking.com, had requested a great room due to the length of my stay. I was not disappointed. Everyone said expect a small room!
But no. I was given a corner room over looking the city on the ninth floor.
The bed was two king singles put together. This would be nasty is it was a couple booking, but as a solo booking no problem at all.

Aside from 10:45pm one night a client accidentally set off the fire alarms ; ((

My stay was very comfortable and all requests were quick, polite and met with a smile.

When a pre arranged tour group "forgot" to pick me up. The concierge was on the phone to the company telling them he was putting me in a taxi and they were would sort out the problem between themselves.

Reception, concierge, house keeping, room service, The Island and the Thai Restaurants team members were all on there A Game. Making my lengthy stay a real treat, well done and a big thank you.

Location to Lancaster Gate underground 150 Mts. around the corner. As were the bus stops including The Hop On Hop Off buses. So close, easy and convenient.
Hyde Park straight across the road.

Bathurst Street, adjacent to the hotel entry had five assorted restaurants and The Bathurst Deli with eat in or take out, home cooking, wine, beers and ciders on offer.

My walk one beautiful sunny day to Marble Arch took me 12 minutes, Location, Location,Location. For me it ticked all the boxes. My next stay in London will be at Lancaster London, corner room!

Room Tip: Corner suites are large, sunny and with great views.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Oz58

Thank you for writing such a detailed account of your stay at Lancaster London – we look forward to your return!

Reviewed 13 June 2013

We were staying in London for 2 nights after doing a transatlantic crossing on the Queen Mary 2. The one sour note to the stay was the check in. We had booked a superior king room with a city view at the weekend special price which included full breakfast. We arrived at the hotel a little before 1:30. Official check in was at 2 PM. They didn't have our room ready and called housekeeping to find out when it would be ready so we went off to their lounge area to get some lunch. I went back to check after 2 pm and the room still wasn't ready. Nevertheless, everyone else who had just walked in to check in was leaving with a room key. Because they couldn't officially check us in they couldn't take a credit card so each time I went back to check on the room I had to stand in a long line of people checking in. They told me 15 more minutes so I went back to the lounge to wait since they said they would contact the lounge. Sometime after 3 PM our room was finally ready. I understand that all rooms can't be ready before check in however if someone calls housekeeping it seems like they would try and get the room ready since they know a customer is waiting. When we got to the room it smelled heavily of febreze. We had asked for a non-smoking room so we wondered whether someone had smoked in this room and they were febreze-ing it to death to get the smoke out. Nevertheless, once we checked in it was fine. The room was quite large by European standards. The bed was ok but not as good as the boat's bed (which was surprising). The full breakfast was very good and service was good. Location is great as it's right by Hyde Park and several tube stations. I agree that the furnishings are a bit worn and very 20th century however I don't really care about that as long as the room is comfortable and clean. One nice thing that I don't remember seeing before is that they had outlets by the desk and mirror for 110 volt (US outlet) and 220 volt (European outlet) in addition to UK outlets. Even though we had an adapter it's always better to use the correct voltage as I had already fried my hairdryer on the boat (using the correct outlet, no less). So I thought this was a nice addition.

Room Tip: We were on the 17th floor in a city view room but still had a good view of Hyde Park. The view was...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MabelNY

Thank you for sharing your impression of Lancaster London. We are sorry that your check-in was not as smooth as it could have been, especially after such a long journey. Your feedback has been passed on to the Front Office team and will be dealt with accordingly. We hope that you will give us another go next time you are in London so that we can show you our true hospitality spirit!

Reviewed 13 June 2013

The hotel is good, not phenomenal. It's located about 3 blocks from Paddington Station (where Heathrow Express comes into, and the Tube is literally at the back of the hotel.

Rooms are a decent size for London. The staff is very accommodating and friendly.

I will say the breakfast buffet is a train wreck. We were there at 9am, multiple items were out, I had finished breakfast and still waited 20 min before someone came to offer coffee (seriously). The food, even when you put it into the context of a buffet was not what you would expect. The pastries were stale, the sausages were cold.

Room Tip: ask for a higher floor facing the park.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Tudor A

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at Lancaster London. We are currently changing some aspects of the breakfast, to make sure that we offer more variety and better quality all the time. Thank you for giving us your feedback, as this is very important to help us make sure that we are the best we can be.

Reviewed 13 June 2013

Quite simply: The reception staff etc were great, the location was excellent, the breakfast was excellent, the view was excellent, but it was like stepping back 20 years when we entered our "superior room". Every bit of the room was in desperate need of modernisation. The bed was incredibly uncomfortable and resulted in a terrible night's sleep. It really is as simple as that.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank shadesoffshore

It is a shame that you did not find our beds comfortable – we get such good comments about them usually. We are sorry that you felt that Lancaster London could have created a better wow for you. We hope that you will come back so that we can show you what Lancaster London hospitality is all about!

Reviewed 13 June 2013

This is a perfectly decent hotel without anything glaringly wrong with it. The location is excellent being a one minute walk to the Lancaster Gate tube stop and a five minute walk to Paddington Station. The proximity to Paddington Station allows you to take the Heathrow Express train from the airport practically to your front door. My room was a decent size with a king size bed. It was very clean with minimal wear and tear. The bathroom is an adequate size with an excellent shower. I had a fabulous view of Hyde Park along with the city itself. The hotel breakfast buffet is quite good. The housekeeping staff did a very good job. On the less impressive side, the bed itself was too hard for my liking. The front desk staff seemed to struggle with the English language. And although I paid extra to guarantee an early check-in (10 a.m.), my room was still not ready when I got there. However, after I made a point of it, I got a room within 30 minutes. Although there is nothing fancy about it, overall I had a decent experience at the Lancaster London. I would stay there again and recommend it to others.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank cantravel00

Thank you for recommending Lancaster London!

Reviewed 10 June 2013

We stayed here for 5 nights and I can honestly say it was one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in. It's located right on the edge of beautiful Hyde Park. You're a short tube ride away from the heart of the city. The hotel itself is lavish and so comfortable. The rooms are spacious and beautifully furnished. Very modern. The staff is incredibly friendly and attentive and the two restaurants inside the hotel are both exceptional. This hotel made a great trip to London even better. Stay here!

Room Tip: Get a room facing Big Ben and the Eye! Its a beautiful cityscape.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Matt A

Thank you for sharing your experience at Lancaster London.