“The good and the bad”

Ranked #237 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Copenhagen, Denmark
“The good and the bad”
Reviewed 20 April 2014

This was my wife and mine 7th visit at the Lancaster London. We like having our breakfast in the modern dining area with a view over the park, dinner in the beautiful Island Restaurant & Bar, and a drink in the cosy Lounge Bar. It is strange, that this nice hotel has such a windy and cold Lobby with no atmosphere. Our room was a bit worn down, plus the beds are for Hobbits. If you want a good nights sleep, you need to sleep with a pillow over your ear, because you can hear the neighbour guests talking, the noisy air con, the piping ventilation and the loud cleaners. After a few nights at the Lancaster London you really need a Holyday :-)

1 Thank danish4
LancasterLondonHotel, Manager at Lancaster London, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear danish4,

Thank you for your review of the Lancaster London.

I am very sorry to hear that your recent stay was influenced by noisy neighbours and the A/C and our room attendants. I would like to assure you that sound insulation will be addressed in our upcoming refurbishment of the hotel. This refurbishment will also involve a complete lobby revamp, creating a lovely buzz and atmosphere.

We are glad you have stayed with us 7 times already and hope you will continue using the Lancaster London; get in touch with us going forwards to allocate you a quiet room.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Thoralf Kretzschmar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (791)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2014

My husband and I went down to London so that he could run the marathon,.

This hotel is really well located and very handy for the underground.

The room was lovely and the staff were great and so was the food.

Room Tip: Get a room as high up as possible
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear ET0703,

Thank you for your review and congratulations on your husband running the marathon.

We are glad that our staff made your stay comfortable and that you enjoyed our food and beverage offering.

We hope to see soon again, latest for the next marathon.

Jordan
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I've stayed there on December 2013 for 5 nights, the location is perfect the Lancaster station is just at the side of the building and very close to Marble Arch and just few steps from Hyde park.
The overall stay is perfect except I decided to extend one night so I booked online and then I went to the receptionist to confirm our reservation, she said we have to change our room (Park view) because the new reservation is city view and the initial reservation was park view which is more expensive, I told her it is only one night and we spend most of our time out of the hotel, the lady insist that I have to change my reservation (or pay the difference) or change my room. I didn't have another option only to pay the difference and keep the same room. I didn't like her attitude in dealing with the case, she need me only to pay the difference. I think when you have a guest who stayed for 5 nights you have to treat him/her politely. I was thinking to change the hotel even for this night because of her attitude, but my family insist to stay on the same hotel and not move on. I was expecting to get an upgrade of our room rather than asking for the difference.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
LancasterLondonHotel, Manager at Lancaster London, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Dear roubey,

thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us.

I am very sorry to hear that you felt the receptionist was not as helpful as you would have expected. All our team members are encouraged and empowered to make a decision about room allocation, please accept my apologies that not more flexibility was shown in your instance.

I am however pleased to know that you otherwise had a perfect stay at the Lancaster London.

We sincere hope this isolated incident does not deter you form returning to the Lancaster London.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2014

There are many reasons to stay in this hotel but if there's one stand out reason to do so then book now for the best Thai food in London, if not the UK. Quite simply the food is amazing (fresh, fragrant and authentic) and it is backed up by the most impeccable and friendly service.

And if Thai food isn't to your taste then I can also recommend the Island Grill restaurant which serves great food from breakfast straight through to dinner. I recommend the Pork belly - fantastic.

Overall I would highly recommend this hotel and restaurants within.

1 Thank Gavin H
Dear Gavin H,

thank you for your compliments about the hotel, Nipa Thai and Island Grill.

It is great to read that our culinary offering is to your liking and you also enjoyed the impeccable service. Each of the restaurants have their own TripAdvisor page, I would invite you to give feedback after your next experience there.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Cheshunt, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I booked an overnight stay at The Lancaster to mark our ruby wedding anniversary, having spent our wedding night there 40 years ago. The Guest Relations Manager contacted me by return e-mail to check the details of our stay. She promised me that we would be well looked after and we certainly were. Our room was upgraded to a suite and we were made to feel very, very special. All of the staff in the hotel seemed to know our story and wished us well. The Dine Around experience was truly superb, the food and hospitality in the Thai and Island restaurants second to none. In short, I have never been made to feel more welcome. The hotel staff made our special occasion even more special and my wife and I had a truly wonderful time.

Room Tip: Royal Park suite has views to 3 sides and we could see Wembley stadium arch to the NW right round 30...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank I B
LancasterLondonHotel, Manager at Lancaster London, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear I B,

Thank you for your wonderful review.

We are delighted to have been able to make your day just that little bit more special. To hear that you stayed at the Lancaster London after 40 years is an amazing story and we definitely wanted to be part of writing a nice chapter for you.

We hope to see again for your next anniversary or even sooner.

Lausanne, Switzerland
Reviewed 14 April 2014

The hotel is good and the service amazing, always helping out. The event had a lot of last minute changes and they adapted to it each time, and every department. The rooms are nice and beautiful views.

• Stayed April 2014
Dear Soped,

Thank you for your review.

We are pleased to read you had a fantastic stay for an event here at the Lancaster London. Our Events team is dedicated to deal with any kind of short term requests and changes.

We hope you will be attending another event in the not too distant future.

Berkshire
Reviewed 13 April 2014

This hotel has got hospitality right. Every single element of it.
Their general manager certainly knows his or her stuff. The positive experience starts where it should,.... at reception. Friendly, efficient, and communicating the impression that they really do want your stay to be a good one. We were even given some cake to have with our cup of tea in our bedroom before we went out for dinner locally at Bel Canto. I had mentioned to reception that I was already quite hungry and couldn't believe it when one of the receptionists produced the little slices of cake (which were actually delicious). It's that type of attitude that makes this hotel exceptional. An impression is always formed of any establishment by their front line staff. They are really the ambassadors of the hotel and the visitor will form an immediate impression by how they are initially greeted and checked in.
The hotel is lovely and although I have read it is going to be refurbished within the next year it is quite lovely as it is already. Our bedroom was on the 18th floor - room 1812. Big, comfortable bed, very spacious indeed as it was large enough to hold a couch. Everything that a guest needs were supplied including an ironing board. Good toiletries, good hospitality tray, a beautiful view of London and Hyde Park. And very quiet.
When we returned after dinner we went for a drink in their bar. Lovely cocktails served by efficient and friendly bar staff. And their prices are very reasonable indeed.
At breakfast we were seated by the window that overlooks the Italian Gardens. Great breakfast eaten whilst looking out at a million dollar view. Again, warm and friendly staff who couldn't do enough for us.
Now that we have found this hotel I'm afraid I won't be any longer staying in my usual London hotel.
This hotel is fantastic value for money and trumps the other hotel expecially for its friendly staff.
Thank you all. It was a special weekend for myself and my partner and you made it perfect.

Dear NoholhoRa,

We are over the moon to read your review. Thank you very much for all your kind words about our team members in the hotel, in all areas. We truly strive to give all our guests our “We always Care” service promise, it is fantastic to know you experienced just that.

We are delighted that the Lancaster London is now the Hotel of your choice and very much look forward to welcoming you back many times in the coming years.