“Almost a rating of 5 - just needs a few small tweaks”

Sloane Square Hotel
Ranked #198 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stayed here for a couple of days to take in one of the Proms Concerts at the Royal Albert Hall and a night at the theatre.

Access couldn't be better - Sloane Square Station (Tube) is on the District and Circle lines and the regular buses from around the corner take you just about anywhere.

It is clear that a lot of time and effort has been put into making this a top-quality Hotel, even if the apparent lay-out (no restaurant.bar at the Hotel itself, but access to the next-door Cote Restaurant via a private door directly from Reception pretty much provides both of those).

The rooms themselves are accessed by meandering passageways - probably as a result of optimising room sizes while respecting the design of this old building.

We had a room at the back of the Hotel which was extremely well laid out, very modern and thoughtfully designed, with various elements which should be copied elsewhere (velcro to adhere curtains to the walls so that light coming into the room is minimised at night, two baskets mounted onto the bathroom wall for toiletries thus avoiding the perennial fight for space, and magnets in the shower curtain to prevent the curtain wrapping itself around you once the shower is on - obviously only works for enamel bath-tubs!).

Two improvements that might be considered though are some arrangement to cut out light penetrating from the bottom of doors and, unfortunately, we were in a room next to the service lift (presumably for delivery of meals to rooms), so on the first morning we were woken at an early hour by the door next to our room continually banging (supposed to be a locked fire door according to the label) - maybe suggest some form of insulation on the door frame to reduce the noise level?.

The only other element to spoil our visit was the unbelievable racket on both nights from our neighbour in the next room shouting at a friend in his room and the corridor until about 12:30, then again on his return from wherever he had been at 4:30 that morning - obviously there was nothing that could be done, but this and the banging service door meant that we could not award a top score of 5.

Of specific merit were the attitude of the Trainee (American?) woman on Reception and the high level of service of the bearded waiter in the Cote Restaurant who served us at breakfast - N.B.: The selection of meats and cheeses on the Continental Breakfast Buffet (it is possible to have either this or any kind of cooked breakfast included for free as part of the cost of the Room) looks minimal, but when the food is of such a high quality, it is worth it.

So, all in all, highly recommended, but next time we visit we will definitely ask to be kept away from ALL lifts.

Room Tip: There are a number of bars/clubs/restaurants very close to the Hotel, so choose a room either on a h...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KentCouple
Christopher P, Hotel Manager at Sloane Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Great to read you enjoyed your stay and our wonderful location. We appreciate you taking the time to write a review and for the valuable feedback - we are always looking for ways to improve. Thank you for your recommendation.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

We had a very pleasant stay here. Traveling with our three children aged 12, 10 & 10 so we booked one club family room and a club twin. The rooms were spacious, clean and decorated nicely - seems they had been updated recently. Each room had a lovely window seat, armchair, and desk with chair - so plenty of space. Nespresso machine was a huge plus as was the complimentary water and soft drinks. Beds were very comfortable. My only complaints: 1) the shower in the club twin room was ridiculous as it is situated under a slanted roof - cannot figure how a grown man would manage and 2) the common areas are a bit shabby - really hope they replace the carpeting in the halls before we return!

All of that said I must emphasize how incredible the location is - no more than a 15 minute walk to most anywhere you want to be: Westminster, Hyde Park, Kings Road, etc. . . The tube is right on the square as are three good restaurants. The energy around the square was exciting! Really, you cannot go wrong with this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank fmrtaitai
Christopher P, Hotel Manager at Sloane Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

We are so pleased to read that you and your family had an enjoyable stay. The is so much to see and do around the Sloane Square area and it sounds like you made full use of all that’s on offer! We appreciate your feedback - we are always looking at ways to improve our guest experience.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Booked last minute and used other TripAdvisor reviews as my guide.
Great hotel in very many ways. Ideally located on the square and 2minutes from the tube.
The location speaks for itself in respect to local facilities.
The public areas very welcoming and a little quirky, so no bland typical chain-hotel.
Staff smiling, welcoming and helpful both at check-in and check-out.
Room whilst typically small'ish for the price in London (£117/night for me), was very clean and had great facilities and air-conditioning. Even had a nice view of the back/side of church.
Actually wish I had got to hotel earlier to take advantage of the bar/food. Next time !

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Dave H
Christopher P, Hotel Manager at Sloane Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Good to read that you were able to take advantage of one of our great offers. Glad you enjoyed the hotel location and appreciated our decor. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed here as a treat for my birthday recently. It was a fantastic hotel in a great location and the staff were fantastic. My girlfriend booked it for us, and when we got to thr front desk they found out that this stay was for my birthday and they changed our room to have a better view. They also sent up a bottle of champagne with a birthday card. It was a wonderful gesture which helped to make my birthday weekend truly great. I'd like to thank Lubo Seidl the Assistant Front Office Manager who made this great gestures and gave us a wonderful start to our weekend.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tony H
Christopher P, Hotel Manager at Sloane Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your lovely feedback. We have shared it with Lubo and the rest of our team and it made their day! Hopefully we will see you again soon.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

I stayed in this hotel for a week while visiting my daughter who lives very nearby so it was very convenient for me. The location is excellent and I enjoyed the shops on the Kings Road and Sloane Avenue ... the whole area is great and, of course, the Sloane Sq. tube station is two minutes away.

I requested a quiet room and my room was definitely peaceful, quiet, very comfortable and clean and well-serviced. My room was not luxurious but it was well appointed and comfortable with a comfy bed and very nice linens. I particularly enjoyed the coffee maker as I hate having to go out for morning coffee. The bathroom was large and had plenty of space for one's toiletries. I didn't have much contact with the staff but when I did, I found them to be helpful and friendly.

I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: I requested a quiet room and certainly got a very quiet room.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank SuzieQ1802

Great to read you enjoyed your stay - especially our wonderful location. Given your daughter lives nearby you must know it well! Glad we were able to meet your requests - we always do our best.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

i am planning a big event in October in London and have lots of people from abroad arriving in london and simply wished to accomodate all in the location of my preference so the sloane square hotel fitted the profile. i emailed reservations, called,visited in person even, chased and chased nobody has come back to me,. particularly th reservations manager was nowhere to be seen even though i called them and emailed several times.unacceptable service and hugely dissapointing to see that hotels will turn down business. or they deal only with big operators which shows lack of personal touch..such a shame,.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank myrto k
Christopher P, Manager at Sloane Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

I am sorry that you have decided not to stay at the hotel with your wedding party in October.

Whilst we always do endeavour to offer competitive prices which give good value for money, we regret that we could not match your budget requirements for your guests on this occasion.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Booked a last minute offer when we needed a quick overnight stay before catching an early train from Victoria. To be honest I went on price and thought I would take a chance as it was near our last appointment in London. What a great find - Location is perfect right near the tube, right in the middle of a very smart area. I don't usually bother with reviews, but we enjoyed our stay so much I thought I would make the effort.

Hotel was busy when we checked in and the couple in front of us seemed regulars- that is always a good sign!. We had a very warm welcome from Daylo which made us relax after a long hot day. Our room overlooked the Sloane Square itself, so we people watched for a bit from the little window seat. Our room was light and looked as if it had been freshly decorated with muted modern colours but we still felt the period character with the high ceiling and windows. Pillows & Duvet were so soft and obviously expensive quality. It was a shock to the system when the alarm went off.

As it was hot we just went for a drink and snack in the Duke of York Square across the road. Again a great find - a lovely piazza style spacious place for al-fresco eating in the middle of London. Room service breakfast at the hotel arrived bang on time and the choice to pick from is brilliant value for money for London.

All in all one of the best stays I have had in London for a long time and I would recommend the hotel to anyone. I think it is privately owned and that showed in how were treated by the hotel staff - they genuinely care and want to do their best to ensure you enjoy your stay.

I can't wait for my next excuse to stay in central London!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank DBE26

I am so pleased that you had a fantastic stay with us and we hope to see you back very soon.