“Great location, room a tad small” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Thistle Kensington Gardens

Thistle Kensington Gardens
Ranked #300 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Singapore, Singapore
“Great location, room a tad small”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2013

The location is great - a stone's throw away from Queensway tube station surrounded by restaurants and amenities. And if you are lucky enough, a view over Hyde Park.

Our room was facing an internal car park and buildings which basically means we have a very quiet sleep but the downside is that we missed out on the fantastic view that Hyde Park would provide. The room is on the small side - sufficient for 2 people and 1/2 luggages at best. We were only there for 1 night so we had an overnight bag but it was too cramped for my liking.

The bathroom on the other hand was the main feature of the room. Albeit small, it was designed in a way that maximises space. I love the shower pressure - just perfect.

TV reception is poor which is surprising in London - I would expect a better quality than this. The remote was not cleaned properly and I saw a hair stuck to one of the buttons. Ugh - luckily I had one of the anti-bacterial wipes to get the job done. Housekeeping could be done better in this scenario.

Would highly recommend and would definitely stay here again.

1 Thank LondonGreenfield
GMthistle, Manager at Thistle Kensington Gardens, responded to this review, 4 March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review, I am pleased that overall your experience of the hotel was positive. Many of ours guests do choose an upgraded executive room to enjoy the additional comfort of a larger room boasting a king sized bed and beautiful views over the park. These are available from £40 per night. We did experienced issues with our TV’s at the beginning of the week and are working closely with a specialist to resolve this situation with a matter of urgency; I trust that the TV situation did not impact your stay too much. I hope that with our range of special rates available online you will be able to experience one of our executive rooms next time you stay. Kind regards Marianne and the team.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (499)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Plymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2013

I have stayed in many hotels over the years, but as others have commented initial appearance from outside does not do the Thistle any compliments, I was very underwhelmed as I wheeled my luggage up,outside.

But with a friendly welcome I was shown to a lift and into a modern well decorated and clean lobby and reception, staff amazingly friendly, by far the best service I have received in any hotel stay.

All rooms, corridors, have modern decor, and clean.

A short walk to the tube, park opposite the hotel for a walk, although typical for the weather to turn so cold! But London central easily accessed for shows.

Overall a fantastic stay, and would recommend to all.

Room Tip: We where upgraded free of charge to the Deluxe room, with a view over the park on level 9, could I a...
1 Thank Carl E
Thank you for taking the time to review Thistle Kensington Garden. It is excellent to hear that you enjoyed your stay was with us. The team pride themselves in delivering high levels of customer service and I am pleased that this was evident throughout your experience, I will ensure that they are aware of your kind words. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future. Kind regards Marianne and the team.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2013

Well looking at the hotel from the outside, its easily locatable - just look for the petrol station and mini Waitrose - and its above.
At first glance, the hotel doesn't seem much from the outside - but once you are inside - well - impressive is all I can say.

Great decor from the reception, to the restaurant thru to the corridoors and of course the room.

Our room (808) was facing the back roads / building (not the park) but that wasn't a problem.
The room (standard) was somewhat smaller than other hotels I have stayed in but it wasn't an issue.
Nicely laid out, with a nice size bed. The bathroom was clean, bright and a perfect space - shower head from above with enough pressure was very nice compared to previous places and even a hand shower on the side.
The aircon / heating worked well and seemed quite modern and very quiet.
TV was a bit poor reception wise and the remote was in poor condition with the battery cover broken.

Local restaurants in Queensway (<5 mins casual walk) by the station were ok and ranged from Italian, Indian, Persian and Chinese - among others.

The breakfast we had in the hotel restaurant was great and very filling. A nice range of cold snacks, yoghurts and fruit salad, as well as the full English works. The only draw back was my wife asked for an omelette and although that wasn't a problem - it took a bit longer than usual and she was mostly through her breakfast by then, so had to leave half of it.
Service was great and the staff were very friendly.

Would highly recommend and would definitely stay here again.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to review Thistle Kensington Garden. It is lovely to hear how comfortable your stay was with us. The team pride themselves in delivering high levels of customer service and I am pleased to hear of your experience. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future. Kind regards Marianne and the team.
Napoli
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2013

If compared to london standards then the overall judgement is more than good, if instead you «think Europe», then of course they could do better. Very good location as both underground and bus stop are just a few steps away (bus no. 148 goes straight to Victoria Station; Queensway underground station is served by Central Line). After looking around for best solution, I found that the Hotel website offered the most convenient price and gave us the opportunity to buy the room with breakfast included, which is well worth the price as it really is a continental breakfast with any sorts of food and beverage. Standard rooms are very small but in the london average, essentially clean. Unfortunately no fridge in the room but nonetheless we found a kettle with tea and coffee and a couple of biscuits. Perfect for short stays, both for business or tourism, if nothing more comes up in the area I will certainly be their guest again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank sara c
Thank you for taking the time to review Thistle Kensington Garden. I am pleased that you found the hotel location so convenient and enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future. Kind regards Marianne & the team.
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2013 via mobile

I stayed in a double room by myself whilst on business and had a great experience overall.

The hotel is just a five minute walk from Queensway station which is on the central line and only takes about 7 minutes to get to Oxford Circus. From the outside the hotel looks horrible like a big concrete block, but don't let this fool you. Once inside the reception you are greeted by shiny wood, metal and glass everywhere, a very modern feel.

Check in staff were very polite and asked if I preferred a low or a high floor. I proceeded up to my room on the 8th floor and even the corridors to the rooms are modern, with sleek room doors.

My room was a modest size which was just fine and happily fitted in a double bed with the other furniture. The bathroom had modern fixtures and fittings with a quiet closing toilet and although there was no bath, there was a rainfall shower with glass shower doors. It also had proper toilet paper and not the scratchy paper kind that most hotels have.

My room didn't really have a good view, but this did not bother me and I understand some rooms have park views. The window by the lifts had views all the way across to the shard.

The room's hair dryer overheated and broke when I first started using it so I called reception who sent someone up to my room within minutes with a brand new treSemme one.

The breakfast room is modern and spacious with a good english and continental breakfast selection which I couldn't fault. There is also a nice bar/lobby area where I held a couple of meetings before departing the hotel.

On check out all the guests were given a free full size Cadburys Crunchier bar. Unusual, but a nice touch!

Overall, although this hotel is not directly located in the tourist areas, it is just minutes away by tube from marble arch, bond street, Oxford street and regent street making it a great choice for business or pleasure and I would happily stay here again.

Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review Thistle Kensington Garden. I am pleased that you found the hotel location so convenient and that the team delivered their typical friendly and efficient service to help you enjoy your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future. Kind regards Marianne & the team.
York, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2013

Stayed on business, decided to choose the Thistle Kensington Gardens as I thought it may be slightly better due to the recent re-furbishment, plus I had read many positive reviews.

Due to the positive reviews, I had high hopes, however, the hotel is in an odd location right above a fuel station (my room was immediately over the top). I stayed in an Executive room which I have to say was clean, but that is about it.

The shower didn't work properly and the bathroom was very small. Lots of people were complaining about the lift and how difficult it was to use with your key card? (strange to have to use your key card for the lift - I personally had no difficulty with this, but others did).

Would I choose to stay again - No.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to post a review, your feedback is essential to us providing an excellent service to all of our guests. As you have noted, your experience is not typical of that of the majority of our guests. Kind regards Marianne and the team.
Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights for a romantic retreat, and I could not fault it! Every member of staff we met were so friendly and nothing was too much trouble. The room was beautiful with a fantastic shower! The location is also excellent, Oxford street just a 15 minute walk, and Knightsbridge just across Kensington Gardens. Cannot recommend this hotel enough. Excellent!