“Nice for a short break”
Review of Umi London

Umi London
Ranked #804 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Stayed here in September 2013 with my boyfriend. When we first got there our allocated room was awful with stains on the walls and the floor outside the window was covered with tab ends, plus our bed was just 2 twin beds pushed together. I went to reception and asked to change and they did it straight away with no problem, the room we were moved to felt like we were in a different hotel it was lovely with a big double bed, tv and better sized bathroom we even had tea/coffee and bath robes which we did not in the other room!
The location was about a 5-10 min walk from Bayswater tube station which linked us up to all the main attractions easily enough. The only time getting back to our hotel was an issue was after a night out and we needed to get taxis which are expensive in London as there was not really much going on in the area.
All in all it was a nice hotel and a good price and I would stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for one which isn't on the bottom floor!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 19 June 2014

The reception staff were helpful and friendly, and the location of the hotel is great, just 5 mins walk from the nearest tube station, and close to central London.
BUT.....
The hotel is a tired old terrace building, the paintwork needs attention, the sofas are worn and scruffy, the lifts are a bit rickety with the old name of the hotel still on them, and the floors creak like hell. This was the main problem we encountered - our room was on the 4th floor, and from entering the room in the afternoon to leaving the room in the morning - RIGHT through the night, the people on the floor above were walking around constantly and the floorboards creaked so loudly they could still be heard with earplugs and with your head under a pillow! To add to the disruption, the room was so hot we had to leave the window open all night so the volume of the city noise also kept us awake, not to mention thin walls so the general milling about within the hotel could be heard.
We chose not to complain about the floorboard issue to be moved to another room, as it was late at night and we didn't want the hassle of packing everything back up and moving. Besides, I would imagine all the other floors to be the same?..
The bed linen and towels were clean, and the room was also, but again the decor and fittings were tired, and the shower was awful (had to take it down to use it as there was zero pressure). Fittings old fashioned.
We certainly wouldn't recommend this hotel even though it is in a good location, as it wasn't really even good value for money at £80 per night.
We didn't use the restaurant or bar so can't comment on those.

Room Tip: Maybe stay on the 5th floor as nobody above!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TravelingChick30
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

I have stayed here many times over the last few years on visits to London - because of its location, it's fairly good price (considering the location), and because I know I won't be spending much time in the room. I have always found the staff friendly and helpful, but the rooms vary depending on which part of the converted terrace houses you are in, they can be very hot during the summer, and it can be very noisy with student/school groups. Also the single rooms can be very small. I choose to stay here because of the location and am prepared for the reality - but it would not suit many people.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 June 2014

This hotel is absolutely dire in its customer service. I booked a room for one night for when I needed to be in London for business. I'm a busy man so I booked it online. Come the day before I looked for the email confirmation and could find none. I then emailed them about this and they took nearly the whole day to get back to me for at which point I had got another hotel because it was urgent and because I had received no confirmation I was under the belief that the booking for whatever reason had not gone through. I have never not received a confirmation and I have stayed with many hotels. I then got a confirmation as a reply to my email late in the evening with the cancellation policy. This was to cancel with 24 hours notice to not recieve the charge. Fair enough but UMI hotels failed to give me this in time for me to carry out the cancellation without getting charged. It was their failure and I only had to cancel in the first place because of their complete shambles of customer service. I work in customer service and getting back to someone with an urgent matter in such a rude and late way is not acceptable. They have now charged me £84 which is my grocery bill and electricity for the week. They then try and insinuate that this is my fault. They have two choices. To offer me a full refund asap and i shall take back this review or I will leave this review as well as taking this further to the hotel regulator and chase the money up through all possible channels. This is unacceptable behavior and your staff emailing me bullying and insulting content won't work either.

Room Tip: If you want to be insulted and robbed then this is the place for you!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank David G
Reviewed 30 May 2014

This hotel was really handy for all that I needed to do last weekend but, aside from the main reception, the hotel is looking seriously dated.
Our room was clean (ish - we found a pair of socks under the curtain) but the shower's grouting was ugly and the sink was out in the main bedroom which means you can't wash your hands immediately.
Also, the room was BOILING - we had the window open the whole time but we could not get it any cooler. We mentioned this on the way out to reception and I think it's an issue they are aware of.
I would stay again for convenience but certainly not for a luxury break.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 May 2014

this hotel was in a great location bayswater in london central a couple of blocks to the tube station. our room was tiny. It is in an old building uneven floors, old carpets. The lifts were small and slow. The shower room was a decent size with a good shower. There was a restaurant in the hotel the breakfasts were good the service depended which staff member you got. We had dinner in the hotel one night it was not very good.

Room Tip: our room faced north away from the park view and away from the sun which was good stopped our room o...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 May 2014

If you looking for a comfortable bed to sleep on, this is NOT the hotel to choose. Nothing but thin fabric between you and bear springs. Most uncomfortable night, until I slept on reception lounge. Staff ignored my request to swap mattress. Be warned, check out the bed first before you confirm your booking. This hotel is also not maintained, carpet is very old and lifting, paint peeling on outside. PS I am not the complaining type - this warning is warranted.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo