“Really Old and Dirty”
Review of Umi London

Umi London
Ranked #817 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 9 July 2009

We have booked three rooms and paid in advance through hotel websites. However, when we check-in they said we have only booked one room! Finally, only our parents can stay in the hotel ,rest of us had to stay in an apartment for one night. We finally got another two rooms next day, but finally they did not give us an explaination why they did not have our booking.

I did not satisfied about the room. Firstly, there are some stains on the carpet, and it seems the carpet have not been cleaned for a long period of time. Secondly, we find that the two reading lamps did not working, we had to wait for three days before the lamps repaired. Thirdly, the hair dryer was too weak, fortunately my sister had brought one.

There are too many doors in the corridor, I think they are unnesssary and only make people inconvenient go in and go out! If possible, do not choose the rooms on fifth floor - lifts can only go to fourth floor and you must go to fifth floor by stair. The hotel give us the room on fifth floor, we were very clumsy when taking our suitcase to walk the stairs!

The only advantange for the hotel is location - quite near to the Bayswater underground station and there are also some restaurants it is very convinent for dining and sightseeing. However, compare with the money I paid, I do not think it is worth to get a such room and service!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family

Reviewed 4 July 2009

We moved to the Umi hotel from Ibis hotel in Barking and we were very happy. We booked in a deluxe suite in one of the adjusting buildings. The room had a nice view into a park in front of the building. Area was quiet and room was very cozy. It was very small though, but as we stayed only a few nights we did not bother. There was a little kitchnette and everything looked nice. Well chosen colors and nice furniture did a good impression. If you looked closer, lots of things were damaged or hardly holding together. So that decreased the final rating. Staff was helpful as far as we needed. Breakfast was not special, but was OK. We got what we expected and after seeing Barking we were happy to move to the Bayswater... :-D

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 July 2009

I stood four nights at UMI Hotel in London and I was very pleased about its location. The underground stations are near and it is a very quiet area in London, although close to restaurants and cafés, perfect for a night walk. I agree with the other customers about the noise and the flushing problems, but our room was cozy and I slept very well. I will surely come back.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 June 2009

Okay, this is a budget hotel but *still*... We stayed for four nights, having booked from overseas and having had friends who stayed here. It wasn't much for *London* prices (89GBP to 139 GBP) but it still seemed like a complete waste of money. We were woken on the first morning by obscene shouting coming from the corridor/next room. I thought maybe it was guests and ignored it for a while, but when we left I realized who was making the noise. We were next to room service's little 'office' on the third floor. Okay, so the doors and walls were thin. But on the last morning we were woken by room service shouting about the "[--] bottles in the room, why are there so many [--] bottles in the bl**dy room." Nice.
Perhaps because we didn't tip room service, they basically didn't bother to clean the room after the first day; I mean, they made the bed, but they didn't bother wiping down the sink (which is in the bedroom, yes).
There was also the matter of the leaking bath faucets, which probably disturbed someone downstars, as a hotel employee tried to get into our room while my fiancee was showering in order to see whether we were somehow joyously spraying water all over the bathroom. They didn't fix it that day while we were out; instead we went through the same rigmarole the next morning; this time, we were finished our showers and let them in to look at the tub. They fixed it with a LOT of grout.
The hotel needs a bit of repair; creaking floorboards and shrieking taps are a noisy, bed is really uncomfortable and you just roll off it basically... the tub is cracked and the bathroom ceiling was mouldy ... but okay, this is budget... yes, the tv worked fine (except when you plug something in--and then it just stops) ...
Probably the best part of this was on the third night when we arrived back to find a full bag of garbage in our room left by room service. I guess they 'forgot' it. Awesome. I took it down to reception and they wrote something down in their little book, apologized... but that was it. I guess that was business as usual at Umi Hotel.
If for some reason you do go there and need wireless access to search for your next stay, don't spend 3GBP for 3 hours on the internet, go down the street to one of the several internet cafes there.
Oh and of course... do keep in mind that if you don't check in by 11am, you will be required to pay for or stay for two nights, rather than just one.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2009

Very British standard, anyway clean hotel in the beautiful old building. Renovated but in the British way. Not for the people who want big hotel chain standards.

Quite a good situation (Bayswater and Queensway underground stations in 5-10 mins walking distance).

A lot of teenager guests who were having fun on the hotel door steps during the night on Friday / Sunday -> very noisy two nights of our five nights. The floors of the old house make noise as well. Have your ear plugs with you :).

Beautiful small park in front of the hotel. Good breakfast in nice restaurant. During the breakfast you could see the quiet guests (couples, families) as well. Very international.

Umi has a concierge service and for example Mme Tussauds & sightseeing bus tour tickets can be bought in the hotel without queing.

Overall: ok.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 June 2009

My friend and I stayed at the Umi once at the outset of our trip before flying to Italy and also at the conclusion before flying home to the US. The first room had the sink in the bedroom. The sink had two faucets, one for hot and one for cold, and neither worked very well. There is a trick to getting the toilet to flush by repeatedly pumping the handle. The carpeting had huge stains and the bed gave me a backache. The shower was impossible to turn off and you needed to grab a towel in order to get a strong grip on the shut off valve. When staying in the second room, all the same problems remained except now our crummy sink was in the bathroom. What amazed me is that, on one hand I was worried that I couldn't flush the toilet, yet I could watch a flat screen tv. I'm not sure Umi has its priorities straight. I'm not used to luxury when I travel but this was a little too much for me.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 June 2009

It was ok. The room was very small which i knew beforehand but it was clean and good enough for a couple of days. I had big hassles getting out of the hotel though as there is no where to park and load up the car and i had to park down the street and try to ring up and pay for parking even though i was leaving and only wanted to grab my cases and go. I tried ringing and ended up spending a heap more $$ on the phone call than the parking fee. I was really annoyed as all i wanted to do was go and i thought it was all ridiculous. They should get special permission for a drop off/pickup bay. it is in a good location, near Hyde park and Oxford St.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo