“Read between the lines”

Citadines Barbican London
Ranked #411 of 1,076 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 24 August 2013

We recently booked a double occupancy studio apartment and it was not a pleasant experience. As a couple we were provided with a single sofa and a roller bed, which was to be our accommodation for the next 8 nights.
I spoke wit one of the afternoon staff, a female staff member and asked for a double bed where it was explained to me that the if I wanted a double bed then I needed to put this on the booking request.
I asked for a different room and I stated that if it costs more that I was prepared to pay this and again it was stated that there were no rooms spare and that this is what happens when you come during holiday times.
I returned later that night and saw a different staff member, named Adela, who agreed that after 2 nights the room could be changed for the remainder of the stay.
We found the room to be not suitable, there was a high level of noise and we were on a rear facing room, and the rooms were very stuffy. The. Room does not have air conditioning, only air cooling.
The images on the website were misleading and showed a bed in one photo and a lounge area in another photo. Beware as e couch is a sofa and that is your bed and it was as hard as a board.
We actually went away for 2 nights to another location where we were able to get 2 nights of sleep on a real bed which was very much needed.
This hotel is not on our to go back to list.
Continental breakfast was £12 person and car parking was £25 per day (both were excessive and not acceptable).

Room Tip: Always request a double bed and you will need to ask for a 1 bedroom apartment to get a real bed.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank Darren M
ANNECURTIN, Manager at Citadines Barbican London, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2013

Thank you for your feedback.
We read with much concern about the unpleasant experience you encountered during your previous stay with us.
I would like to assure you that I have personally addressed this issue with the staff concerned and will ensure that they receive the necessary guidance to perform a much better role moving forward to avoid a recurrence of this incident.
Moreover, I'm happy to inform you that all our sofa bed will be replaced by proper bed by the end of the year, all our guest will be able to have the comfort of a double bed in all our room types.

Once again, we apologize that we were unable to make you feel more at home and comfortable. I hope that you will reconsider staying with us giving us another opportunity to serve you better.

Reviewed 21 August 2013

We had a room for three which had 2 seperate, spacious bedrooms (one doubled as lounge)
It is located in a great position close to Barbican Underground station, a Tesco mini-mart, Barbican Arts Centre, St Paul's, Tate Modern, Jamie Oliver's Fifteen Restaurant, Jugged Hare 'gastropub' and Oxford St.
The room was spacious, comfortable beds, nice wardrobe, nice bathroom, well-appointed small kitchen with dishwasher, hotplates & fridge. it had a desk, & table for dining. Ironing-board was handy and free wi-fi worked well everywhere.
It was much appreciated that we could leave our luggage in store-room all day as our flight didn't leave till late night as well as the bathroom facilities on ground floor to freshen up.
Only negatives were that the doors would close heavily with a bang (door wedges would be handy) and the hair-dryer died quickly (management provided a replacement tho.)

Room Tip: Rooms on Goswell St on higher floors have good views
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank europaolo

Reviewed 15 August 2013

I was pleased to have found an apartment hotel very close to the CCT Venues-Barbican just down the road. The apartment had a kitchen and a good sized desk to work from. The room was modestly sized with a TV and en-suite bathroom. The metal framed bed was stowed away beneath the sofa and very comfortable when opened out with a nice firm mattress. Although cosy, the room was more than adequate for my needs. The breakfast was a self-service type and this was £12. Good value for an apartment hotel in London.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
ANNECURTIN, Manager at Citadines Barbican London, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2013

Thank you for your feedback which will be shared with the team at Citadines Barbican. Your feedback motivates us to do better to ensure that our residents have a warm and pleasant experience. We look forward to welcoming you again. Sincerely.

Reviewed 6 August 2013

My friends and i booked two rooms at this hotel to go the athletics. The location is a dream - literally 100 yds from the Tube and close to all the main tourist spots. with a cbank and a Tesco almost next door. Plus we were pleased to find a very good and not too expensive italian restaurant just down the road Rooms were self catering apartments and at first i was looking for the bedroom ! because we had a murphy bed which is a pull down double. It worked in this space and was surprisingly comfortable.
This is a minimalist hotel in that everything was there if you need it but the staff were whelpful when required (they leant us umbrellas unfortunately!) - We were able to leave our luggage in a locked room which is a real bonus as you dont want to carry it around when you check out if you come by train (which i recommend) or pay to leave it at the station

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
ANNECURTIN, Manager at Citadines Barbican London, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2013

Thank you for choosing Citadines Barbican as your accommodation during your holiday in London. It is always encouraging for us to learn that our valuable residents are satisfied with our service. We hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the near future.

Reviewed 30 July 2013

I have stayed in London on many occasions and as a general comment, the prices are astronomical and the rooms tiny. Not so The Citadines London Barbican. It is definitely larger than the Citadines in Paris where I stayed some years ago (definitely recommend that one).

Location:
At first I was a little apprehensive at staying in the Barbican area as I am not familiar with it. But the Citadines is close to the Barbican Underground. There are frequent buses to Oxford CIrcus and other areas.
In these day and age of Smartphones I used Google Maps to find out where I wanted to go and then selected the means of transport. it gave me the bus routes and bus numbers, or the underground stations, plus if I chose to walk, the walking route, all with the estimated time!
Tesco (supermarket) was just a stone's throw away, very convenient to stock up on supplies or TV Meals to heat up in the microwave.

The Room
Granted we had the premier room as I did not want to bother with pulling the sofa bed down every day. The room size was pretty spacious. We had a double bed, a writing desk that doubled as an eating area. A kitchenette with a microwave oven, cook top, fridge and dishwasher. We could fit our suitcase and 2 golf bags in the room ans still have plenty of walking space!
The bathroom was small but adequate.
There was a room safe and TV.
Ironing board and iron. Hairdryer.
There was no Air conditioning. The room can be quite noisy from the traffic below if you left the windows open. You live with it for the price you pay, approx 170 GBP per night inclusive of VAT.

Free WiFi throughout the common areas and bedroom.
Laundry in the basement.
Storage - as we had a late flight, we were able to store our bags until late.

Breakfast
We had free breakfast included in our package. This was essentially, juice, coffee/tea/chocolate, fruit, eggs, meat, cereals, etc .All very basic and help yourself. We found it adequate.

The Staff
All the staff were very pleasant and helpful. Whilst this was not the Ritz Carlton, they made us feel welcome.

There are other Citadines Apartments in London, but obviously because of its location, the rooms are cheaper here. I found the room comfortable and will certainly consider staying here again. I personally prefer the Bayswater area because of the restaurants, but for the price, Barbican will do me.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank mikelima
ANNECURTIN, Manager at Citadines Barbican London, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2013

Many thanks to taking the time to write this review.
We are happy to have met your expectations and endeavour to continually delight our residents whenever they stay with us.
Thank you for your valued patronage. We look forward to welcoming you again at Citadines Barbican

Reviewed 24 July 2013

Picked this apart-hotel as needed to attend the barbican centre. Ideal location for this. Few minutes from underground. Room was good, yes it is small with the bed out but had a good equipped kitchen with hob, microwave and dishwasher, great for longer stays. Small grocery store in walking distance so handy. I would not say the rooms were dated as commented on previously, found the room to be clean and tidy. Wifi worked well whilst we were there. Breakfast could be bought for £12pp but we catered ourselves for breakfast. Overall no problems and an enjoyable stay

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
ANNECURTIN, Manager at Citadines Barbican London, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for having taken the time to leave your comments on TripAdvisor!
We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at Citadines Barbican.
We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back soon to London.

Reviewed 21 July 2013

I was a bit worried Bout booking this hotel, but I have been pleasantly surprised. I had a fold down sofa room and it was fine. Yes it was cramped with the bed down, but we put it back up in the morning. It was clean, had everything we needed and I would stay here again. It's not 5 star luxury, but it's fine for what it is.

• Stayed: July 2013
ANNECURTIN, Manager at Citadines Barbican London, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and for choosing Citadines Barbican. We appreciate your review and the compliments about our service and facilities. We hope to welcome you again.