“Great apartment”

Citadines Barbican London
Ranked #389 of 1,077 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Stayed here for one night whilst visiting my grandad for his 90th birthday. My dad uses these apartments for business and got a vastly reduced price for our family, so I can't comment on the pricing but the location is pretty good, a few steps from the tube. We travelled to Chelsea to see my grandad (he's not super rich, he's a Chelsea pensioner) so being close to the tube was a bonus.

Our room was large, very clean, with everything you could need if you're staying on business. A nice touch was the complimentary bottle of Prosecco in each room (and it was a pretty nice bottle too). Mini dishwasher, cooker and oven along with tea and coffee. Everything really to live here if you needed to.

Large flat screen tv, wifi was about 7mb in our room on the 7th floor, very quiet over night and a comfortable bed. Staff were efficient and friendly and there are complimentary hot drinks in reception 24 hours a day.

This us obviously aimed at business users as the immediate area isn't one to stay around in but if you are visiting for leisure the tube is so close you can go pretty much anywhere.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank James T

Reviewed 30 January 2014

I spent 2 days in this apartment hotel is just along from the barbican station. I went here because it was the nearest cheapest hotel for my training course, where I was on a training course.

I made a mistake, first problem once a pulled down the bed from the wall was locating the pillow, I found one, squashed along with a blanket in a bag above wardrobe - but that was it, I rung to reception and 2 more were sent up.

Next it was cold in the room, I tried to use the radiator... minimal heat came out I eventually got warm by turning on the hobs fully which,

In the process of working out how to get warm I had checked out the combi-oven it looked like something had got so hot inside that part of the door had melted, not really a problem for me because I had no intention of eating in my room - but when I went out to dinner I mentioned this along with the heating problem to reception at the time I it had not been replaced

Next breakfast I had ordered breakfast for both days at £12 this was quite expensive, but it was in the hotel so for convenience was a factor. however despite ordering this as part of my reservation the hotel didn't did know anything about this - so I had to re-order by breakfast and only then did I find out I was paying for a continental breakfast... for £12 a day, ok I thought maybe it will be a good continental breakfast..... wrong, sliced bread one loaf of fresh wholemeal and some rolls - 1 processed Ham and processed cheddar or red leicester squares, boiled eggs and a few choices of cereals or an a few cakes (most had gone by the time I got to breakfast at 7:50-8:00) ..

There was also a coffee machine and Tea both of which were free anytime to all guests.

So at this point I am dissatisfied.. things got worse, my next evening when I tried to do some work
I found everything very slow and when I tried to have a video conference skype would show the picture I ran up, speedtest to find the performance 260Kbs!!

The next morning I checked again in the "lobby" which in fact is simply the breakfast area and teh speed was arounf 8MBs so this maybe because I was on the 5th floor however in which case they need to sort out a booster.

Will I go again no.. do I recomend it now - I paid £30pn less to save myself 1/4 mile walk I regret that.

Room Tip: If you must go here insist on lower floors if you need wifi
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
6  Thank hedgie123
ANNECURTIN, Manager at Citadines Barbican London, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

Thank you very much for the constructive feedback, it allows us to improve our services further.

On this note, I am delighted to inform you that following guest' feedbacks we have reviewed and implemented a new breakfast offer.
This brand new offer includes a wider selection of products (including English specialties) and will surely satisfy our guests’ needs.

I would also like to share the fact that we are upgrading our IT services in February in order to improve that service going forward.

Once again I would like to thank you for your valuable feedback and I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again.

Reviewed 10 January 2014

I found that the Citadines gave me everything I needed for 3 nights and 4 days in London. It is very well located. Exit the Barbican tube, turn left, walk past the Natwest bank and mini Tesco and you will see the hotel on your left. You can reach Smithfield market on foot easily from here.

The hotel has free coffee in reception and breakfast (continental) is £12 - a lot cheaper than most hotels. I was able to order taxis from reception, they arrived promptly but taxis were available from outside the hotel most mornings.

One thing that surprised me was that my room was not cleaned at all during my stay. Maybe this was written on the website somewhere but it shocked me. Especially because my towels were not refreshed after 4 days of use!

My room had a television that worked well. A radiator that was easy to control and a kitchen. Tea/coffee was provided in the room. I had a bath but it was quite small/short, to be expected in London and i was grateful to have it.

My wifi did not work in my room at all, not once even when I had accessed the system. However, the internet was available from a terminal in reception that worked well and I was pleased to see a printer that printed my boarding pass very well (not always possible without fuss in some hotels).

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Josie J
Reviewed 6 January 2014

This is a very comfortable, reasonably priced hotel for central London (£99 for double). Close to Barbican tube station. Tea making and basic kitchen facilities included. Would use again.
It is such a silly idea having a minimum length for reviews. It means I wiill not bedoing one in future!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com
1  Thank Dave S
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Stayed for two nights over the New Year break.
Excellent location & very close to the tube (Barbican).
Pleasant & knowledgeable staff.
Must say a special mention to Diane. Due to the various weather related train delays etc from Gatwick we were running late for a show but she sorted a well priced cab & checked with the cab firm on our chances of making the show in current traffic.
Spotless room on arrival & everything worked. Top marks to housekeeping & maintenance dept. Deffo recommend & will stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 January 2014

When I am travelling, I do like the option of being able to cook for myself and to stay centrally so that you can have a mid day respite if you like. This venue was excellent for both. The small kitchen allowed you to prepare basic meals and to keep fresh milk and such in the fridge.
When we arrived, we were given a complimentary continental breakfast which was fresh and decent on both days.
The location is great, central to all amenities. It was a short walk to St Paul's and there is plenty to see and do in the City.
It was a very short walk from the Barbican tube as well as being on a bus route.
I would recommend the venue.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HPL93
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Stayed in room 516 on the 5th floor of a total of 7 floors. At the rear of the building overlooking a cul-de sac street so no noise from the main road but not much a view from the window. Close to the Barbican tube station and not far from Smithfield Market and St Paul’s Cathedral. You are in the City area of London so not really convient for the theatre or shopping districts.

Compact room but well designed to provide a lot of facilities in a small space. Plenty of storage space. This is much more than a hotel room. It’s really like having a small apartment in London. Iron/Ironing board and safe. Small kitchen area containing two plate electric cooker, microwave, fridge and tiny dishwasher (tablets and wahing up liquid supplied).

Flat screen TV with Freeview channels and free wi-fi which achieved around 3Kb/min when tested at 6pm. If breakfast is not incuded it will cost you £12 in the ground floor restaurant. There are quite a few coffee shops nearby (Costa etc) if you want to pick up a coffee and croissant. Single easy chair and a large desk at which to work.

The double bed was firm and big enough for one but would be a bit cozy for two. Clean sheets.

The bath is a bit on the small side. It’s not big enough to stretch out and relax without sticking your legs out of the water. Lots of hot water and a soap dispenser by the shower. This soap dispenser was not within easy reach when having a bath however which was a bit annoying.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank whc23
ANNECURTIN, Manager at Citadines Barbican London, responded to this reviewResponded 1 January 2014

Dear Guests,

On behalf of Citadines Barbican's team I would like to thank you very much for all your encouraging reviews. Also, I am taking this opportunity to wish you all a Happy New Year 2014.

We are looking forward having the pleasure to welcome you here soon !