“Pleasant surprise”

Citadines Barbican London
Ranked #400 of 1,072 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We stayed one night. Were pleasantly surprised by the king size bed and well designed bathroom. Though the room was not air conditioned, it was quite quiet even with the windows opened.

Cheerful and helpful staff at the reception also made our stay a pleasant one.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hwfang
Anne C, Manager at Citadines Barbican London, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I was happy to read that you enjoyed your stay overall and that you liked your apartment.

We do hope that we get the chance to welcome you back to Citadines Barbican in the not too distant future.

There are newer reviews for Citadines Barbican London

Reviewed 8 August 2014

A Murphy Bed is a bed that you pull down out of a wall, saving space in the room during the day, but providing you with a decent mattress at night. In the case of this hotel, the 'Murphy Bed' turns out to be a sofa bed, which at night gives you an uneven, bar-in-you-back night's sleep.

It then mystifies me why a hotel would compromise so on the bed, but then provide a kitchen with a microwave, dishwasher and stovetop. Well, If this is what you want then this is possibly your ideal hotel; but there are many other hotels about that will provide a decent bed - if you want to eat... hey, we are in London, so there are plenty of options! Wifi is free.

Also note that their website does not include VAT in its headline prices. The Advertising Standards Authority deemed this to be a misleading practice about 2 years ago.

Otherwise, the hotel is in Zone 1 London, close to Barbican Station, and not a long walk from St Paul's

Room Tip: Do not go for the rooms with a Murphy Bed!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
6  Thank David M

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review. I was sorry to read about your experience with the Murphy bed. We do have a variety of studio types at Citadines Barbican and a Murphy bed studio is one of these options. We are looking into replacing the bed configuration in this particular room type in the not too distant future. Please accept my sincere apologies that you did not get a good rest during your stay. All of our studios and our one bedroom apartments come with a kitchenette. This allows our guests to have the option of self catering if they so wish. We are having a full refurbishment to both our rooms and public areas in 2015 and we will certainly look at getting the most out of the space provided in our rooms.

We will certainly discuss with our marketing team regarding the rates and the vat.

We do hope that we get the chance to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

I'm staying in this hotel right now and I cannot WAIT until my holiday is over. It completely ruined my trip.

1. Website says it has air-conditioning. THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO AIR CONDITIONING. I'm laying in the bed hot as fire. Oh, but they did bring me a fan (the size big enough for ants). FYI, you can open your window for a breeze if you don't mind hearing brutal traffic sounds as if you're on the A4 (for London) or the 405 (for Los Angeles).

2. I had to take a shower using their soap and rubbing my hands all over my body. Have they ever heard of face cloths?

3. The internet goes in and out, in and out, in and out. You have to look at what you want QUICKLY before it goes out again (it took me 15 times to write this. Thank god that Tripadvisor saves drafts.).

4. The TV is a joke. On most channels, if you watch it for 10 seconds it goes black on, shuts off, then turns on again all on it's own putting you back at the hotel start screen channel. And god forbid if you decide to raise/lower your volume. It shuts off completely.

SUMMARY: You'll be hot, have to shower with your hands, can't get on the internet, and can't watch TV. Sounds great right!? The cheapest motels seem like a Four Seasons compared to Citadines Barbican. Never again will I ever stay at ANY Citadines.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
8  Thank RAlexander3

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to make a review. I was sorry to read about the issues that you encountered during your stay. Please accept my sincere apologies over any inconvenience caused. Pleased be reassured that this is not the standard that we strive to achieve at Citadines Barbican.

We don't have air conditioning in the hotel but the installation of this is planned for 2015 during the planned refurbishment. As part of our commitment to the environment we do not provide by standard face cloths in the rooms but our Housekeeping team are happy to provide one if so requested.

I can only apologise over the issues with the wi fi and the TV. We do have a dedicated maintenance team who would have tried their best to get both of these issues resolved as soon as possible.

Once again my sincere apologies over our shortcomings on this occasion.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

We chose this hotel because we needed to be close to Barbican. But after a few days we realized that the location is a convenient home base for the whole city. Its just a short walk to Barbican tube which is just 2 stops from Kings Cross. There is a Tesco Metro nearby and plenty of dining choices. Although there is a coin-op washing machine and dryer in the basement (which was broken when we were there) there is also a laundrette across the street. The rooms are small but having a kitchen is very useful.

3  Thank jonathan62

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review. I was happy to read that you had a pleasant stay. We are indeed located centrally and very close to The Barbican Tube station.

Please accept my sincere apologies over the issues with the equipment in the launderette. We immediately called out an engineer to get this sorted as soon as possible.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Stayed at this property for a week with my parents. Having stayed in other Somerset and Citadines properties in other countries before, Citadines Barbican meets our expectation. The room is clean and has everything we need during our stay. Kitchenette was very well equipped. Only thing was the hair dryer in my parents' room wasn't really working well. It was not a big problem as my mom could come over to our room to use ours. So we didn't complain to the front desk about this. The room doesn't come with air conditioning. We requested for fan and it was provided promptly. Our rooms were facing the main street at low floors so traffic noise can be quite loud when we left the windows opened. Having hot coffee, tea and chocolate provided to guests for free at the breakfast area was a nice touch.

There are not much surrounding the property but it's very near to Barbican tube station in Zone 1. If you don't mind to walk a bit further, there are a few tube and railway stations such as St Paul's, Farringdon and Angel that could bring you to anywhere in London.

The only disappointment we had during our stay was the tour that we book through the hotel front desk was cancelled without us being informed. The travel agency said they did try contacting us. Not sure whether the travel agency tried calling our room directly or the hotel front desk because the message was never conveyed to us. I feel that the hotel could have handled it better.

Other than those issues, overall it was a pleasant and comfortable stay. Staff were pleasant and all our needs and requests were attended to promptly.

1  Thank vividplanner

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I was happy to read that overall you and your family had a pleasant stay. We will be undergoing a full refurbishment to both our rooms and public areas in 2015 and the installation of air conditioning is top of the list during this planned work.

Please accept my sincere apology over the issue with the tour. We have addressed this directly with the tour operator to ensure that this does not happen again.

We do hope that we can welcome you back to Citadines Barbican in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

We were moved to this hotel as our original hotel had problems in their facilities. The lobby was clean-the breakfast seemed scarce(but there is a breakfast joint not to far away). The subway was nearby but, as tourists, we had to transfer to get to most place, making it not very convenient. Our family of four(two almost frown kids) fit fine in the room/s. It was like a very small apartment with a stocked kitchen, restroom, living room with a queen pull out, and bedroom. What was odd was that all the room had fire-doors which automatically closed-so we had to prop them open with the luggage-the room was clean but the whole hotel looked tired. The staff were not friendly, never greeting us as we came and went, and answered questions with as little info as they could muster. As tourists we were dependent, to a certain degree, on directions and recommendations of the staff, which were not forthcoming so I think we wasted some time looking for restaurants etc. This hotel is not in the tourist area but more a business/student area.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Anne C, Manager at Citadines Barbican London, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I was really sorry to hear about the issues that you encountered during your recent stay with us. Please do accept my sincere apologies over any inconvenience caused. Please be assured that this is not the standard that we strive to achieve at Citadines Barbican. We will do the necessary retraining with the staff members concerned. They should have been more helpful and offered you any assistance necessary.

We do hope that we can welcome you back to The Ascott group in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

This place is handy to the Barbican and city. It is clean and had everything is needed, including a pull out rack over the bath for drying laundry and hangers that you can move - both bonuses if you are staying for a while and want to do hand washing. Tesco is close, Waitrose a wee bit further but an easy stroll . I don't really like pulling my bed down from the wall but it does give you more space once packed away so I'd can see the logic, and it was comfortable. Overall, fine and functional.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review. I was happy to read that overall you were happy with our product and our services.

Our apartment layout will be relooked at during our refurbishment in 2015. We do hope that we will get the chance to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Anne