“Great location and price for a VERY basic hotel”
Review of Hotel Earls Court

Hotel Earls Court
Ranked #865 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 23 July 2009

I stayed at Hotel Earl's Court on a solo trip to London on the way home to Toronto from East Africa. Earl's Court had better rates for single rooms than many hostels in central London. Reading the reviews made me nervous about the stay, but overall I was satisfied.

My single room (no ensuite) cost approximately $50 (Canadian) per night (175 pounds for 5 nights). The hotel is in West Kensington one minute's walk from the Earl's Court subway station, which is KEY. This station is on the border between Zone 1 and Zone 2 of the transit system, so its as far out as you can go while still only paying the Zone 1 price. This helps save on your weekly travelcard cost. It is on a main road and with your windows open in the summer months (no a/c) it can be noisy. The mattress was uncomfortable. The room has a sink and mirror but is very small. The sheets and towel were clean and the room itself, while certainly worn, was clean. The bathroom was down the hall and tolerable, but not "nice", separate toilet room was fine.

They include breakfast, which consists of toast, cereal and tea/coffee. Friendly staff.

FREE wireless internet! (quite fast connection)

Overall, great value/location for a budget traveller who isn't too picky.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo

Reviewed 18 June 2009

cheap & cheerful hotel though my room was dirty and the breakfast room was dark and had a very unusal funny smell.

tho the indian lady on the front desk was very stunning. Hope she is single?

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank highland18
Reviewed 30 March 2009

I stayed here despite reading the other reviews and found the hotel to be ideal for my stay. I was only there for one night, and it was the night of the Brits at the nearby Earls Court Exhibition Centre. Apart from the noise of the taxi's outside I had no issues at all. The room was clean, warm and comfortable. There were no problems with the staff, apart from arriving to an empty reception. Tea and Coffee was available outside of the room, and as I had taken the budget option there was no ensuite bathroom.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 June 2008

We were only staying for one night as we were had tickets for Wimbledon. I couldn't have stayed for any more!
It looks ok from the outside but inside it wasn't!
The gentleman on reception wasn't exactly friendly and didn't seem too happy to be working.
Our room was on the ground floor opposite reception. The wallpaper was peeling off the walls, the shelves were all dusty, the tv aerial was held up by a coathanger. There was a makeshift dresser which was all damaged and the cupboard door didn't have a handle. Someone had even taken the batteries from the remote control for the tv.
The ensuite was a tiny wet room - see my pic!
The walls are paper thin, we could hear the person next door laughing until about 2am then he started snoring so we hardly slept.
Continental breakfast was included but we decided not to have that!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank weegill
Reviewed 17 June 2007

They say a picture paints 1000 words. I really wish I'd taken my digital camera to show you just how disgusting this place is.
The only good thing about this hotel is it is right near Earls Court tube station so you can escape when you realise just how bad this establishment really is. If you are wise, please accept my judgement. Know that I am not exaggerating, and JUST DO NOT STAY THERE. Here is my story......

When I arrived the Greek guy on reception (who was wearing t-shirt and shorts) was too busy watching TV to notice I was there. I knocked on the window. He said "hang on a minute, mate!" and made me wait whilst he watched the concluding part of whatever he was watching. I thought to myself: "I don't want to hang on. I've been travelling for 11 hours!"

After a very long check-in process I was given the key to my room on the first floor. I noticed that this "non-smoking" room smelled of stale sweat and cigarettes, as, in fact, did the entire hotel. The décor must have dated to the early 70s. The flaking yellow wallpaper was impregnated with smoke. Despite there being an ashtray (a strange thing for a non-smoking room), the surface of the cheap formica table was pitted and scorched with crater-like cigarette burns. The dirty army green bedspread that covered the musty and unwashed blanket was also littered with cigarette burns. The nasty, ill-matched and sickly pea-green nylon curtains (I have thrown better away) were not made of enough fabric to draw across the window.
The ledges, windows and pelmets were thick with dust. The carpet was matted with years of congealed dirt. Its original colour is anyone's guess....oh and the taps had brown rings of sludge around them.

No kettle in the room. Instead you have to use a communal one downstairs. Not wanting to use the powdered milk that was there I ventured into the kitchen in the basement and opened the fridge......AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH a bowl of what was once tinned tomatoes covered in green mould sat on the mildew-covered shelves! No way was I going to eat here for breakfast!

It is almost impossible to find words that can convey the seaminess of this place. To be hugely outdated is one thing, but to be seamy, dirty and sleazy is quite another.

Went back up to the room for a shave. No towels, and no plug in the sink. Went down to reception and asked for a towel. The guy said "oh sorry mate, I forgot," and gave me a towel (which, to be fair, was perfectly clean, thank goodness). As for the plug, he said: "well it should be there." I explained that there wasn't, and he grudgingly went and found me one, so that was ok.

The communal bathroom and toilet (which stank of urine to the point it made my stomach churn) was so dirty I had to buy some bleach and cleaning materials from the local shop and bleach everything before I used it. At least hot water was in plentiful supply. The extractor fan sounded like a pneumatic drill. The light switch was ill-placed and dangerous.

I couldn't get to sleep there, and felt ill-prepared for the interview day that followed.

I have stayed in hotels cheaper, yet far better than this. Everything about this place was sad, old, worn, decayed, unpleasant and seamy. It is quite clearly run by people who do not care.
I half expected a dead body to fall out of the cheap MFI flat-pack wardrobe (from about 1975) that wobbled when I opened it. Just some old musty blankets and a cigarette pack in there. YUCK!

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled on business
2  Thank Sapnas
Reviewed 20 January 2007

Extremely disgusted with the hotel directly opposite the reception. The flip doors opens to 2 different room, extremely stupid design there. The room was very DUSTY, very dark even with lights on. The bed was not even big for a single, how can it be a double bed?? The toilet was extremely small. The carpet looks unvacuumed for the last 6 months. Very noisy as it was just next to the road. You can even hear people talking outside! Hotel's breakfast was normal, self-made bread and toast. The receptionist looks Italian and guess this hotel is a private and home managed. I hope they get to see the rating here. I really regret paying 60 pounds for such a hotel!

• Stayed: April 2006, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 October 2006

We prebooked and prepaid (unfortunatelys) a stay at Earls Court hotel, bases on pictures and our trust in the hotelwebsites info.

I do not reccomend this hotel to anybody. Everything was dirty. Our bedblankets were full of stains and filth. The walls were full of dirt and fingermarks. Window and curtains were so dirty. The toilet didn't flush. It looked like they never vacumed. Old wine in the fridge. The bathroom door did't close.
Lamps didn't work.

I have been in London around 30 times and stayed in hotels with different standard, and this is by far the worst hotel I have stayed in. The fact that we payed 110 euros for it, is even worse.

Don't book this hotel.