“awful stay”

Ranked #983 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Kerrykeel, Ireland
“awful stay”
Reviewed 16 July 2013

We stayed in a triple room on the bottom floor. This room was nice but very small and cramped. There was no air conditioning so the room got very hot and the window only opened into what seemed like a shed so no air was coming in this made the room very stuffy. On the first night staying here we were woken to the sound of something nawing on the inside of the walls ( clearly a rodent) this went on for hours so we eventually went down to reception to complain. They sent someone up to investigate and they confirmed that that's what it must be but didn't apoligise and only offered to move or room the next day at 2pm so we were stuck with a rat for the night. The next room was up six flights of stairs and the hotel didn't have any lift so we had to haul our heavy suitcases up the stairs and they never offered to help us even though we were clearly struggling.This room was much worse it was dirty and badly in need of refurbishment. The staff there couldn't of been less helpful when we asked about local shops and taxi's and the Continental breakfast contained a stale croissant and a slice of toast got looked at like we had ten heads when we asked for a glass of water. Would not recommend this hotel to anyone

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
Reviewed 15 July 2013 via mobile

When we arrived in London got the horrible news our original reservation overbooked and they made substitute accommodations here. After reading the reviews we concerned. Stay was a pleasant surprise. Got a family room with 1 double and 2 singles in basement. Plenty big enough for 2 nights. Room clean, beds adequate and no bugs. Safe area near Kensington Park. Definitely suitable place to lay your head. Worked well for our active family.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 July 2013

I read reviews about this hotel and was really worried about going, the rooms were clean etc yeah needs a bit of work but it's only somewhere to put your head down, only bad thing is there's no air conditioning and we stayed for 2 nights and was very warm in the room, apart from that good value for money as in a very good location

• Stayed July 2013
Bournemouth
Reviewed 30 June 2013

We stayed in a triple room on the second floor. The hotel in general needs a refurb from the old wallpaper peeling off the walls to the dirty dusty stained carpets!

We had two cockroaches in the bathroom which had a broken door handle dirty shower curtain and broken tiles around the sink.

I did the mistake of looking at one of the mattresses and wished I hadn't as it was very stained and one of the beds was broken and on a slant.

When we complained to the duty manager he said they had never had a problem before then admitting that pest control had been in to get rid of the roaches!!! Oh and we could have a full refund and find another hotel (at 12.30 am ) or call to speak to the manager on Tuesday for compensation (it was Saturday).

We decided not to stay for breakfast after the roach incident and won't be staying here again.

The location is great, really central and close to the tube, and it seems value for money at £99 bed and breakfast for all 3 of us but unless you don't mind staying in a bug ridden time warp don't go there!!!

• Stayed June 2013

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2013

I booked a twin room and was pleased with the room, clean white cotton sheets and the facilities.
Tea/coffee making facility, hair dryer, make up mirror with integral light, bath, shower,TV and breakfast.
It looked a little shabby and needed a lick of paint but for the price it was excellent.
I will be staying there again as it is close to Oxford Street and just across the road from Hyde Park and quiet!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Aalborg, Nordjylland, Denmark
Reviewed 23 May 2013

I did not choose this hotel myself as I went here with my school. This hotel is horrible. Dripping water from ceiling-lamps, broken beds and bad service. It looked like they have been trying to fix some of the broken furniture with a hammer with nails sticking out everywhere. I cut my legs by this multiple times.

Room Tip: Don't go there.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 7 January 2013

I stayed in this establishment as part of a group this past summer. I did not choose the hotel myself, but given the relatively low price by London standards and the season (Olympic Games) I pretty much expected a dive. I was not to be disappointed.

On the bright side I can note that thanks to my very low expectations I did have a fairly enjoyable stay in London in spite of the many, many shortcomings of this hotel.

Let me recap my impressions:

- The hotel's location is pretty good. Bayswater and Queensway tube stations are a short walk away, bus stops serving many routes are also nearby. Queensway (the street) has a lot of restaurants and small supermarkets, so eating and drinking shouldn't be an issue. The hotel is in a quiet side street which seems to be home to many other hotels and which leads straight to Hyde Park.

- The hotel itself has an old hotel look to it. The outside isn't that bad but the interior gives a dated and somewhat squalid impression. The receptionist was a somewhat sleazy, middle-aged guy with half-unbuttoned shirt and gold chain which gave you the proper "seedy motel from a movie" impression already at check-in.

- The quad room we had booked for four of us turned out to have two single beds and one double bed (more like king size). So two lads got to know each other a lot better than expected. The room was obviously not meant to be inhabited by our people. There was barely any space to put suitcases and backpacks of four people, while still being able to get around the room.

- The furniture was old and rickety. The carpet seemed less than clean. My mattress had a huge brown stain on it, what it was I don't want to know.

- The bathroom was grimy and had a tiny shower cabin in it with a less than clean curtain. The flush of the toilet appeared broken but the receptionist helpfully explained a special trick to me how to make it work.

- The window in the room was broken. It was fixed within a day when I brought it to the attention of staff but the first night was a pretty uncomfortable affair as the weather was very warm. The fan in the room helped but not a lot - with four people in a relatively tiny room the air will get stale with no window.

- Once the window was fixed it turned out to be a mixed blessing. There were bird feces on the window sill. The bathroom of another room on the floor was also quite nearby, so at night I could hear the lengthy efforts of its Russian occupants trying to figure out that special trick with the flush. You could smell the problem as well.

- There were a number of cockroaches and other bugs in the bathroom and the bedroom.

- Shortly before the end of our stay the lock of the room broke but the resourceful receptionist had a trick for that too, so the problem was "contained".

- Speaking to other guests, the problems were pretty much universal and seem to be inbuilt rather than incidental. The reviews on this site basically confirm as much.

The only positive is location and the fact you aren't sleeping on a park bench I suppose. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, it's a dump. If you have slept in Soviet Bloc "people's hostels" in the 1980s, you will be okay, it's no worse than that and that's how I tolerated it. But at the same time you should be able to do much much better.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends