“OK for the money”

Britannia Hampstead Hotel
Ranked #951 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights with my husband as part of a rail Superbreak package which made it a reasonable deal with breakfast included.Check in was not too smooth as despite there being 2 receptionists on duty it took both of them to deal with one person's query about a theatre. We were none too pleased after an early start and an exhausting day in the City. We then found out that the dining room was closed as work was being done to the kitchens and only bar food was available from 6.30p.m. We had a room awayfrom the main road on the 3rd floor but were woken early by delivery vehicles and bin men.The room was dated and had no bedisde lights - just a chandelier giving out poor light and this was not centrally situated. There was a desk lamp but useless for reading in bed. Having said that both the room and bathroom were clean.
Breakfast was in the form of a buffet featuring hot and cold food to suit everyones taste. The eggs were scrambled not fried and for some reason there were chips and on the first morning pizza! You could make your own toast. Unfortunately I had to ask for boiling water to be replaced and someone else asked for ordinary tea bags as they had all gone too. One day the jugs were labelled,coffee or boiling water but the following day they werent.
In the Superbreak brochure this hotel is called the Britannia Regents Park which is a little misleading as it is at least 10 minutes brisk uphill walking from Regents Park and an equal distance from the nearest tube Chalk Farm again uphill. There is a bus form outside the hotel which goes to Swiss Cottage or Brent Cross Railway Station. Camden Town Centre is about 20 minutes walk. If visiting the Zoo then the hotel is reasonably situated and it is worth the slight detour to go up Primrose Hill for a good view of London.
I would not choose to stay at this hotel again as its location is not central enough for city sightseeing which was the main purpose of our trip.

Room Tip: Not sure if there is a good room. The rooms at the back are noisy but get alot of sun.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
SINGH21, General Manager at Britannia Hampstead Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2013

Dear mcc preston,

Thank you for leaving us your feedback, I apologise for the wait in reception during process of check in, this is not a regular occurance at our hotel. I apologise for the kitchen closure during refurbishment, we have tried to ensure that our guests still have a variety of hot and cold items available to order from our bar.

The location of our hotel is a unique selling point, we are located very close to centre of london and yet in a very quiet leafy suburb of london.

I take your comments on board and assure you that steps have already been taken to remedy your concerns,

Best Regards,

I.P.Singh

Reviewed 11 March 2013

I arranged a weekend trip with my partner , as i love coming to London . We coundn't get in our hotel that we usually stay in , so we tried this one.
I would not stop here again !
As you entered the hotel , it looked lovely and the staff on the front desk were freindly .
Room was very small , with no bath in the ensuite. also the towels had rips in them .
there was a nice balcony which we coundn't get to because the door was lock , and there was no key.
we ate in the restaurant which was ok and a good price , but it was hard to find staff and when we did they were very rude.
The staff on the bar did not understand english so it was differcult to get a drink. The hotel was a 10 mins walk from the tube station and not far from Camden.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Maria O
Reviewed 9 March 2013

I HAD repeat HAD to attend a BNI training event here on Friday. I had agred to meet a friend there for lunch. He told me it had taken hin 12 minutes to get a coffee as there were NO STAFF in the "restaurant" ( actually bar) area. We did not fancy much so thought Fish & Chips was safe - WRONG. Warm (not hot) wet cardboard - that was the fish OR the chips. Now this is for a 1 pm meeting , - when another person wanted to order - they could not order ANYTHING -0 CHEF had gone home for lunch. LUNCH - SO EVEN THE COOK WON't eat there ! As to the meeting , instead of a buffet it was hot(ish) water , stale biscuits . No Still / gassed water , sandwiches etc. but I thinkj it was insulting to drag business people there for a meeting that killed a days business & get that level of service - AND IF YOU WANT TO COMPLAIN - ITS A PREMIUM RATE CALL !

I don't care who suggests you go - AVOID THIS HOTEL AT ANY COST !

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank BrandlerGalleries
Reviewed 7 March 2013

I don't expect much from budget accommodation, but breathable air is a basic human right.

Booked non-smoking, but was given the hotel equivalent to Chernobyl. Requested room change but was rudely told to try again in the morning, as all non-smoking were occupied. As it was late and despite a room that stank like a smokers stale armpit, and a bathroom that had been doused in ammonia based cleaning product, decided to ride out the night... What a mistake, woke 3hrs later with headache and sore throat. No extractor fan, no air-con, and the only openable window was barely bigger than a mail-slot. Paid for 2 nights, stayed for 1 night, this place should be condemned. AVOID

Also note: "250m from Chalk Farm station" = 650m, decor unchanged since 1970's?, door to room had visible damage around the lock as if someone had tried to kick it open, no deadbolt/chain on the inside.

Room Tip: Any cheap £10 hostel will give you better quality, service and location.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank LabratTREK
Reviewed 7 March 2013

I organised a Group booking here and stayed for just 1 night. Initially I was concerned about the negative reviews on here. However, all went well. Staff on front desk were friendly and the duty manager was very helpful. We were a Group of 70 and check in was all organised upon arrival. My room on the 5th floor was clean, bright and large for a London hotel. Breakfast in the morning was buffet with lots of choice. For the price, the Britannia Hampstead offered good value . Both Primrose Hill and Camden are on your doorstep. Thank you Mr Singh and all your staff

Room Tip: High floors are good
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank School70
Reviewed 6 March 2013 via mobile

I paid £50 for a double room here which for London is a bargain. Room resonably clean and warm on a cold February day.
Very small car park and hard to park nearby so much better if you are coming by tube, it's about 10 mins walk from Chalk Farm station.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank soundmary
Reviewed 5 March 2013

I am disgusted with this Hotel firstly they try and charge you a different room rate that had not been agreed. and both the Duty Manager and the Receptionist covered the booking form up that i am supposed to sign. also they insist on cash payments yes I always carry large sums of money around on business trips. then i get to room 506 they claim is the best room in the Hotel an Executive Suite which is run down. and then I get to the Bathroom the dirtiest i have ever seen in my life heavy dirty staining in the sink. hairs in the bath large sticky stains on the toilet seat. hairs on the side by the sink with some huge blobs of pink staining of what ever that may be. bits of plastic on the Bathroom floor broken and loose tiles in the Bathroom. I asked both the receptionist and the manager to please clean the room. i went out for the evening and on my return they had splashed some water in the sink. what a joke this hotel is when you complain at this hotel the Managers are rude and offensive.please believe this review and Do Not Stay Here. this place should come with a Health Warning and Mr Singh and his Duty Manager want to learn how to speak to customers and not lie to them like they both have done to me.They are a disgrace to the Hotel Industry and should not be allowed to get away with it.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business