“bit of a kip to be honest”

Britannia Hampstead Hotel
Ranked #942 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Dublin, Ireland
“bit of a kip to be honest”
Reviewed 11 April 2013

Staff were nice I have to say, although there was definitely a sense that they didn't really care about their jobs. Location was great also. The place needed a serious deep clean. The first room they showed us to was in the basement and it felt like the walls in the corridor,which were snaking its way through the basement, were getting smaller as we walked though. We were both chuckling to ourselves at the situation. Finally got to the room and it had no windows. Went back to the reception and they changed our room with no hassle. Seriously, this building should just be razed and a new more modern building that's better planned built in its place. It would probably be cheaper to do this than to strip it and redecorate.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Badbuzz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Polmont, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2013

Have used this hotel couple of times as close to Camden and Regents Park. Was most unhappy to discover Chalk Farm station closed for Easter weekend so had to walk to Camden thru crowds and on the Sunday walked all the way to Kings Cross as Camden station shut. Not hotels fault but something to bear in mind.

Hotel is ok for couple of nites. It is very dated and shabby and smells of old mops in corridors. Room was clean but freezing and radiator didn't seem to come on. There was a heater in room you could plug in. Windows are not good and very drafty and soaking with condensation in mornings. Curtains are not blackout so room was really bright very early. Cleaners start banging about early too so don't hope for a long lie. Didn't bother with breakfast as can get better in Camden for same price.

Will probably use again but only if I need to be in that area of London. Nice pub up road for good grub called The Washington

Room Tip: Dont get one facing main road
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
SINGH21, General Manager at Britannia Hampstead Hotel, responded to this review, 11 April 2013
Dear Mandy B,

Thank you for your feedback, I can relate to the inconvenience due to Chalk farm station closure during your stay, we always have information on reception for alternative means of public transportation and we also have a bus stop adjacent to the hotel with direct links into the city or bypass chalk farm.

I take note of your comments with regards to cleaning start time and will address the issue as a matter of urgency. We take pride in providing value for money product and a good nights sleep is very much part of our brand values.

We hope to welcome you again in the near future,

Best Regards
Penrith
Reviewed 8 April 2013 via mobile

Group of six stayed a few nights hotel is clean. And staff friendly. Rooms out of date and old but clean sheets and bathrooms, hotel was ideal for our use as a base while visitin London. Ideal tube locations and bus routes. Breakfast wasn't to bad. There was pizza ans chips which was a little odd, One of us got boiled raw bacon but apart from tht was ok. We had a drink in bar one night before heading out which is reasonably priced if u can get the bar maid to take her ear phones out and stand up to serve u.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear MRB 82

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback, I am pleased that you found our rooms clean and staff friendly along with ideal location to visit London.

I apologise on behalf of the bar maid, this is not how we strive to look after our guests, rest assured I have already taken required steps to ensure we are always achieving very high standards of service to all our esteemed guests,

Best Regards
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 March 2013

I stayed here whilst on business and was extremely glad to leave. The rooms were outdated, I had stains on my duvet, the curtains were filthy, the windows were covered in condensation in the morning (it was impossible to leave them open, even slightly due to the constant noise of sirens all night long). The breakfast was that bad I couldn't eat it - either things were cold or sodden with fat, leaving me to go elsewhere to eat instead. Even if the breakfast had have been satisfactory the thought of the phlegm I witnessed that some idiot had spat on the stairwell would have certainly deterred me.

I had the terrible misfortune to have a room next to someone who, for some strange reason, had the impulse to constantly slam doors and drawers and whatever else he could make a noise with to such an extent I actually thought that he was either having a fit or deliberately trying to annoy me. He also had communication problems where he must have felt compelled to raise his voice to whomever he was speaking to, even at 05:30. This particular person was Eastern European and so were the hotel staff, and although I do not have a problem with these people the lady on reception informed me when I went to have a word with her about the noise that “it is their culture to be like that” which I thought was a rather embarrassing thing to admit, I would have accepted that comment if she had said that they were primates and cannot help it....utterly pathetic.
The only good thing I can say about this hotel is that despite the phlegm on the stairwell, I didn’t encounter urine or excrement anywhere.

Anyway, I shall not stay in this place again and will certainly stick to the Premier Inn for future visits – utterly shambolic. Would not recommend to anyone.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank an n
SINGH21, General Manager at Britannia Hampstead Hotel, responded to this review, 5 April 2013
Dear AN N,

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused, we have a Duty Manager on site 24 hours to help and assist our guests with any requests or issues, Night team are also available to deal with any disturbances from or to to any of our esteemed guests. Having checked our night handover diary I have not been able to find any report with regards to your concerns.

I apologise again for the inconvenience and assure your kind self that robust steps have already been taken to improve our service and offer.

I.P.Singh

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Ramsgate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 March 2013

to find a decent hotel in and around central london for not a over the top price is getting harder each week, i work in london alot,and have been overcharged for average standard rooms many times. this hotel i booked on hotels.com, i payed £290 for 2 nights for 3 people.this was a twin room and a double room. the rooms were very spacious with nice beds,bath and showers,large tv,and were very quiet! there is a bar and restaruant downstair which was very nice, carparking is a bit of an issue,there is only 15 spaces on site,at £10 per night,if you cant get in here then you have to find parking in the street,which is mainly permit only! there is a pay carpark just up the road,but again its very costly.
if you want a night out without going into central london,look no further than a 5 minute walk away! camden town is just around the corner,its by far one of the best places to go in london for a drink of to dine. excellent atmosphere.

Room Tip: if you dont smoke,make sure you dont get a smoking room because the smell was really bad!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Dear Steve t,

Myself and my team are delighted to receive your compliments and feedback. It is indeed very encouraging for the team to keep on striving to achieve excellent customer focussed feedback from a senior contributor like yourself. I thank you again for taking the time to give us your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you again in the near future,

Bognor Regis
Reviewed 17 March 2013

Booked in with my wife for a quick overnight stay when going to a rock concert at the nearby Roundhouse. We didn't see much of the hotel at all, just quickly booked in, drop off our minimal luggage and then off to the concert. Afterwards, very tired, we came back and went to bed. Up quickly, showered, checked out and away we went.

We paid £65 via an online agent for the night. It was good value and served a purpose. The hotel looks a bit tired and room's decor was dated and basic, but the bed was big and comfortable and the shower was hot and powerful. So we were happy. The room was clean enough although I suspect that if you looked really hard you might find flaws here and there.

The room we were in was away from any roads and very quiet. We had an undisturbed night's sleep which was great.

For what it was, it was good value and we would do it again if going to another such concert.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Denis m,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, had a good nights sleep and found our hotel good value for money.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the very near future,