“Great location but needs some work, and staff training”

Britannia Hampstead Hotel
Ranked #939 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Sydney, Australia
“Great location but needs some work, and staff training”
Reviewed 16 September 2013

I read reviews before traveling and I was ready for the experience. The hotel is near station, but for me it was the small things that added up. The shower handle kept falling off, there was only small light in the bathroom, which meant the shower was almost in darkness.
I asked about a vegetarian breakfast and you would have thought I had asked for a 5 course meal. I had to pay for the continental breakfast the night before, which was GBP5.50, but this didn't seem to be recorded anywhere, despite the painful procedure the night before of handing over cash, as it couldn't be added to the room charge, or pre-authorised on the credit card. I was therefore almost called a liar, as I hadn't been given any receipt for the cash paid for breakfast.

In the morning, I saw that I could in fact eat the beans and egg so I did. I had to pay another GBP 5 which was demanded off me. I felt that there was no ability to trust guests here. The lady had to get her manager and I therefore got the impression that there is no trust amongst the staff too.

I also got this impression at check in and check out where all queries had to be run past a superior. I realise that English isn't the first language for the staff, and I am ok with that. However, they need to be given some discretion to make their own decisions, which would aid a better stay. I felt like a criminal over a lousy 5 pounds and will not be staying there again.

Upon a very painful checkout, I was given someone elses invoice, and only when I stated it wasn't mine, one was promised to be emailed to me. It came by email an hour later.
If you do stay here:

Get a receipt for everything as it is a manual process they have for everything.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Jay A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
scotland
Reviewed 15 September 2013

This was my second stay at the Britannia, the first in June 2012, I stayed between 2 rooms on this trip and both rooms were in reasonable condition. Due to location I decided to book again with Superbreak but was disgusted at the room provided, it was a basement room and I would imagine there are prison cell's in better condition. There was no space to move, the room had no window and the smell of damp was awful, there was a dead fly squashed into the bathroom wall, hairs all over the bathroom, the shower curtain and bath mat were mouldy and there were various unidentifiable stains that I don't even want to think about! The staff were all of variable standard, whilst waiting in the bar for a taxi I was lucky enough to hear how bad they have it working there as one girl moaned on to every other member of staff that she came into contact with. I understand it is a cheap hotel but I’ve stayed in better hostel’s it needs a complete makeover or at the very least a dam good clean!

Room Tip: Request a room above basement level.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jenni_roberto
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 September 2013 via mobile

Transferred here after cock up by a nearby Hotel. Reviews below accurate, think 70s seaside Hotel left untouched and you're not far off. Staff friendly & Helpful. Large Twin Room with lumpy beds, clean white bedding, faded water stained curtains, heavy furniture, clunky plumbing, stained upholstery - you get the picture but if you want more than this in a large hotel then it would cost considerably more so ....... All in all ok. Nearest Tube: Chalk Farm. On Bus route C11. Oh and in Hampstead by the skin of its teeth!

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 September 2013

We booked here for one night on our way home from France. It's in a decent location and only 5 minutes walk from Chalk Farm tube. It's a bit tired looking with shabby furniture and carpets but we found the staff helpful and friendly. The first room we were offered did not have a functioning toilet so we were moved only to be told to move back as it was miraculously fixed! It wasn't fixed so we stayed in another room which was clean and functional. We ate at the hotel and it was cheap but very poor and the buffet was neither hot nor plentiful. It felt a bit of a shambles and we would not stay again.
Ok for one night but needs a major upgrade. The other hotel we stayed at the start of our holiday was the same price and included breakfast and was much better.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank simpsob
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 10 September 2013

We stayed at The Britannia Hotel in July. It is basic but clean and the staff are friendly. Breakfast was adequate. The hotel was in a very good location,near to underground station and on a bus route. It is easy to reach central London and a short bus ride or 20 min walk to Hampstead. On the whole it is good value for an inexpensive stay close to central London.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Upon arrival at the hotel i could see from the shabbiness from the outside that this was going to be a bad experience, but i was hoping I was wrong. (How wrong was I)
As I peeled myself of the carpet in reception I approached the desk with my 2 sons and my disabled daughter who was in a wheelchair.
I waited for 4/5 mins for the receptionist to even acknowledge that I was standing there .
She said check in was 3 o'clock and as it was 2.30 we could not check in , she saw my disabled daughter and said because of her you can check in now ,I just felt she was patronising and very rude, and insensitive.
When we got to our room after much confusion what a state, the bathroom had a oder the wardrobes had no handles on them,chairs were stained , the carpets were filthy and stained , the headboards were not fixed to the bed, the wall paper was hanging off the walls with damp staines everywhere,and to top it all the mattress's were filthy with staines and holes all over them .
There was no way my family were staying here , I got in touch with Thomas Cook straight away and told them how i felt and under no circumstances were we staying in this hotel , And they offer us alternative accommodation .
Please don't think that cause this hotel is in a good location that its worth staying in believe when you get here you will be very disappointed .
How this hotel can advertise these rooms is beyond me , this hotel does not even deserve 1* let alone 3*

Room Tip: dont bother
Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank colette115
Muscat, Oman
Reviewed 3 September 2013

There was a dried-up stain on the door to the room. We hope is was sputum.
The lock on the door was worn out. Somewhat later I had to call assistance (very friendly) as my key was stuck in the lock and I could not get it out anymore. After a lot of shaking and pushing on the key it came out and the door could be unlocked during the second attempt.

The room was on the backside of the hotel. The windows had not been cleaned for years and the sun shone on the window thus visibility was zero.

In the morning the room was very hot and I do not think that there was an airco or forced ventilation. Anyway at that point we had already decided to leave so I did not check for that.

Toilet seat was loose. The toilet did not flush effectively, requiring filling of a waste-paper bucket from the shower as an alternative.

Breakfast could not be added to the hotel bill but had to be settled on the spot. Friendly staff. Credit card accepted...

Reception staff polite, friendly, helpful.

Room Tip: probably any another hotel will be better.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple