“Ageing hotel in nice area of London”

Britannia Hampstead Hotel
Ranked #940 of 1,068 Hotels in London
York, United Kingdom
“Ageing hotel in nice area of London”
Reviewed 30 September 2013

This hotel is somewhat 'decaying grandeur'. It is ageing and desparately needs a face-lift. The furnishings are old and showing their age. The decor is subdued and, in some areas, dull and dark. There is an air of a hotel which is well past it's best. The room was large, the beds comfortable and the linen clean. The en-suite whilst ageing was clean with nice fresh towels, toiletries and oodles of hot water. The location is in a quieter part of the city, easily accessible with a short walk from the underground at Chalk Farm. We did not use the restaurant facilities but the morning breakfast buffet looked very appetising with a good choice of hot food. The staff were very pleasant and helpful. Although this hotel is definitely not modern, new or at its peak, it is quite pleasant and we spent a very restful night there - not as scary as some reviews here would suggest. I would use it again - certainly knowing the limitations of the offer.

Room Tip: Rooms in the upper floors at the rear have quite pleasant views and are quiet.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank NickandJulie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 September 2013

On arrive staff were pleasant, went up to the suite on the 5th floor, we did pre-order a bottle of champagne which was not in the room, Very shabby suite, looked like we were in the 80 s.
Went down for dinner the food under the heat lamps were congealed and dried, i ask the waitress is there any more fresh food, who then said thats all there is and gave me the most dirty of all looks , she rolled her eyes as if she were Kevin and Perry, staff training needed here i think.
Breakfast was the same ordeal gone off milk, asked the same waitress for fresh milk Kevin and Perry came out again and every time she passed our table Kevin and Perry came out
Would i come back again ? no chance

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 September 2013

we paid in advance and stayed here for 3 nights in september. On arrival we were greeted by the manager, who directed us to our room on the 3rd floor. my wife went on to unlock as i took our luggage up using the elevator (which took forever to make it to the the ground floor). As soon as we entered the room the alarm bells started to ring as we could see that the room was infact a twin room the hotel staff had made to look like a double, which was made pretty obvious by the fact the fixed head boards weres miles away from where the beds were stuated, both the seperate beds had been moved together (so whoever was resposible for this obviously new what they were doing) leaving the fixed head boards on the wall showing. i went down to let the manager know that they had given us a twin room and not a double, and what they had done was unacceptable, he told us that they didn't have a double room to give us and that they wouldn't refund any money only give us a complemantary drink in the bar!!
After 15 mins of arguing with him, he finally said he had a double room, to which we were taken to the BASEMENT FLOOR and given a SMALL ROOM with NO WINDOWS, NO AIR-CON and only a DESK FAN, this was an even more of an insult, so i went back up to the manager to be greated by 'what now??', i told him what i thought of the room and he said that he had given us an alternative room and that was all he could do......after some more heated debate over acceptability and the price we had paid he eventually gave us a room on the 5th floor which was basic but fine (definitely not worth the price we had paid).

Breakfast was ok, we didn't eat in the restaurant as the menu choice was on par with an NHS hospital menu.

please do not be duped by the location of this hotel it is far from nice and whoever gave it a 3star rating needs to be sacked.

poor service at the front desk, poor standards and poor etiquette.

Definitely not the best!!!!!!!

Room Tip: beware of the basement room they may offer you.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
london
Reviewed 19 September 2013

I checked into the Hotel on Tuesday the 17th of Sept. I was charged £ 371 pounds for 2 nights.
I was given a room in the basement. No windows, no natural light, vents above the door boarded up. Sub standard furniture. No air conditioning , they left a fan in the room to cool it down. It was also very small.

I told the reception that I wanted an alternative room , she told no other rooms available to the next day!! As I was leaving in the morning for my meetings, I spoke to the manager and told him the room was no good. He said you booked a standard room that what you get! They agreed to move me to room 314 as I was leaving the hotel. I returned that evening and asked for my room key room 314 , guess what they could not find the key. So after 30 minutes or so they told me I would be given another room. They had given 314 to somebody else.

So I get room 119 after an hour. My girlfriend and I go upto the room only to find someones case in the room. Food uneaten on the side and all their bathroom kit in the bathroom.

I tell them that the room has still got someone in it!!!! Oh we re sorry etc etc etc. 30 mins later they finally clean the room and we go back up to the room. Very tired, taps with not tops, trouser press does not work. Old furniture.

No apologies, no discount from the manager. Who gave this hotel a start rating???

This hotel is worth £ 50 pounds a night maximum. I am writing this from the Loft Hotel in Docklands. Its a a pleasure to stay here, clean rooms, good staff, Guess £ 99 pounds per night.
The Brittania is a dump.

Room Tip: Don't use the Hotel go somewhere else
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Booked 2 nights paid in advance, upon arrival they told me I had cancelled the reservation (Oh if only I had) they then allocated a room which was a huge disappointment it was very shabby, water tepid, breakfast barley warm and inedible. Woken each morning between 5.30am and 5.45am by the sound of which could have been the kitchen appliances being started.At first we thought it was the municipal garbage vehicle with the engine running. The noise went on until around 9.00am. Superbreak should delete this hotel from their website or at least warn the public. I gave it 1 star because they is no rating for zero stars,

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank 9990maryb
colchester
Reviewed 18 September 2013 via mobile

Nothin really to add from the previous reviews below. We only wanted a room for the night and the hotel met our needs. I would not eat there nothing appealed with the appearance of the restaraunt. Location is excellent only a short walk from chalk farm tube station. Britannia group do you read your reviews? Spend money on this hotel it could be a gem.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank denmarkColchester
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Good clean hotel, in a quiet area. Dated furniture in large rooms, with lovely hot shower. Didn't spend any time in the hotel, nor did we eat but for the price it was clean, comfortable and met our needs.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends