“Management is a Joke”

Ranked #953 of 1,090 Hotels in London
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Management is a Joke”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

The Duty manager has not clue what she is doing and talking about ask for the Hotel manager he is even worse than her. They talk about customer service but have no clue how to talk to guests. Rooms filthy dirty carpets seem they have never been cleaned. Mould on windows curtains with stains when we spoke to the management the attitude that came across was tuff you have paid you stay there or go else where. They didn't even want to refund our money. Shame Britannia Hotels have reached this stage

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Laura H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
darlington uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

I read all the reviews and the wife and i were a bit worried, we booked this superbreak holiday at very short notice, so did not have much of a choice of hotels, this was the only one available in our budget, so we walked up the never ending hill from chalk farm tube station( not too steep but a long gradual climb), we were not impressed with our first view of the hotel, thankfully we did not judge the hotel until we went in the front door, thankfully we were very presently surprised on how nice the inside looked compared with the outside, we found the staff very friendly and and very helpful, we were booked in without any fuss,we were given our room key and made our way up to the 5th floor, the room that greeted us was,clean,tidy and exactly what we were expecting for the price we had just paid for our short break in the capital,after all we were going to be out most of the time doing the sites and sounds of London, the bed was very comfortable and the room was warm enough but not to warm, the breakfast was ok and plenty of it, every thing from a full English to cereal,fruit and yoghurt so every body was well catered for..... we would not hesitate in using this hotel again

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank neilsturg
FranciscoSalazar1982, Front Office Manager at Britannia Hampstead Hotel, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Thank you for your kind comments and compliments – I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Kind regards

Stourbridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

We stayed here for two nights at a weekend. Attracted to it because it was cheap and close to Euston station. Low scoring reviews didnt put us off because we didnt intend spending much time in the hotel.

Arrive 1:50pm (10 mins before checkin time). We are politely told our room will be ready in about 10 mins. And it was. Like a few others we find our double room booking turns out to be a twin. This didnt bother us though. We were soon out discovering Camden and the other nice areas that surround the hotel. Nearest tube is Chalk Farm 10 mins walk away, slightly downhill.

Everything about the hotel is tired and dated. We didnt eat or drink in, so apart from that will only say that the staff were always pleasant on reception, room was right temperature, slept ok in the beds, and TV, electrics and bathroom plumbing all worked fine.

If you ignore the decor and you just want a cheap bed in a quite a central location close to tube etc then this will suit you fine. If you want more modern with the same location then generally it will be double the price, believe me we looked hard for it.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank RealGoneKid
Many thanks for the review. We always welcome feedback and my team and I are glad that you overall enjoyed your stay with us. I hope we can be part of your future travel plans.

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

I stayed in a double room, number 20. Rooms 1-20 are on the lower floor and 19 & 20 are in a horrible little corner that stunk!
My room had no windows and the painting on the wall was just sat on the floor. The bathroom was ok but the room was cold and the little radiator was on full but didn't kick out much heat.

If the room had of been on a different floor or located away from the bottom end of the hotel I would have rated this higher but it was not worth the money I paid for it.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank HeatherUK
West Midlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

Stayed her for the 3rd time last week. First stay was ok, second was a joke and third absolutely freezing! I only choose to stay here for the convenience of it being close to the hospital I regularly attend. Nothing eventful to report on the first visit, on the second visit my Dad came with me, I booked him a Deluxe double smoking I had a standard twin. On arrival I checked the rooms were correct to our booking, they gave my Dad a standard double which was cheaper than a deluxe, on questioning this they said deluxe are not smoking, ok fair enough but when I asked for a refund of the difference the woman behind the desk gave me a disgusted look and said she could possibly not do that, reasoning...because only the manager can authorise that but to no surprise the manager was not on site! I booked this hotel through their website and while booking it said payment would be taken at that point, the women then says that payment has not been taken, I look at the conformation which his hard to make out if it has been paid or not, after the women reluctantly called reservations they say payment hasn't been made. So we hand over the card for which there is a charge to use! When I question her about her still charging for the deluxe room she fobs us off saying that she cannot change what the computer is telling her to charge! So onto the third stay last week, this time my Mom is with me, on arrival I check its what we requested a standard twin smoking, the receptionist talks to me as i'm stupid and says yes its twin smoking, get to the room surprise its a double!! After being spoken to as I was I decided not to go back down to reception as I wasn't wanting to get wound up. We go to the bar for food and ask for chips with the lasagne and chilli, barman goes to check with the chef, no problem but then a lady from reception comes and says no we cant as they have had to turn the gas off! The room never warmed up all night and was still cold in the morning, the pipe underneath the radiator got luke warm but no heat got into the radiator at all.
Feel that this hotel is constantly on a cost cutting exercise and staff could do with training in how to speak to customers. Im back in London in a few weeks but I think I will find another hotel to become my regular stop over

Room Tip: In the winter ask for a heater or extra blankets, but don't expect great customer service
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Herecomesthesun79
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

I was put off by previews reviews but it turned out that I was pleased to stay here. Yes, the hotel is quite basic and it you're looking for romantic glitz and glamour ir probably isn't for you. But I was looking for a clean basic place to stay whilst visiting family and it fitted the bill perfectly. Clean room, if a little dated, but comfortable night's sleep, friendly efficient staff, comfortable bar so it met my needs perfectly

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank eyam10
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit. I look forward to seeing you again in the near future

Norwich, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

The photo's of this place looked lovely. The first room we were allocated had twin beds not a double. The bathroom was pretty grotty. my wife had other words for it. I told the receptionist I booked a double bed. she then told me to try a different room, again it had 2 single beds pushed together leaving a big gap at the headboard end. I refused this room too. The third room had a double bed but we could only have to have it for 1 night and then we would have to move, with no room to view for our 2nd night I refused it. The 4th room had a double bed but the bathroom stunk badly of smoke. Fearing we would have nowhere to sleep we took it in the hope we could mask the smell. Overpriced and nothing like the website.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends