“a window would be nice..”

Britannia Hampstead Hotel
Ranked #944 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 5 January 2014

me and my boyfriend stayed here on the 3rd January for one night having bought a deal through groupon. the location of the hotel was fab in terms of being close to a tube station that had great connections but other than that the hotel isn't anything to shout about. as we were placed in a basement room we were rather unhappy with the room as it slightly resembled a prison due to the lack of light.. a bit of daylight might have been nice. I think the description of the room being a city room and all was rather ironic as we could not see any of the city from our dungeon abode.
the hotel was fine for what we needed it for as we only dumped our bags and slept there and did not have the breakfast included as it looked vile so if you are looking just for a place to sleep and get ready then this is fine.
p.s. never got the free bottle of prosecco we was promised but hey ho!!

Room Tip: do not get a city room - it's a dungeon!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
FranciscoSalazar1982, Front Office Manager at Britannia Hampstead Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Many thanks for the review. We always welcome feedback and my team and I are glad that you overall enjoyed your stay with us. I hope we can be part of your future travel plans.

I am sorry to hear that you did not like our rooms in basement, please let us know next time you book with us, so that we can allocate you upper floors with windows.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

Stay clear of thiis hotel, tired, dirty.
Staff the most unhelpful I've ever come across.
The room they gave us was unsuitable for a family, we're eventually given another room.
Plumbing was a disgrace, flush hanging out of wall. Shower over bath, mouldy, base of bath dirty with thick lime scale, wouldn't even have bathed the dog in it.
Curtains hanging down from the tracks. Windows filthy, covered in black mould.
The breakfast, which we did't eat look gross, the croissants were stale, hard and cold.
The coffee and tea was in dirty stained thermos flasks (and that was the outside).
We booked this as a theatre package through superbreaks.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank sian d

Thank you for your review, I am sorry that you have been disappointed with your stay at Britannia Hotel. All feedback is treated with the utmost seriousness and we will investigate your comments with a mind to improve our service to all our guests.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

having read number of the reviews we were a little concerned as to what standard this accommodation was however we were pleasantly surprised- the hotel its self is 10 minutes from the chalk farm tube station which is 15 minutes the centre of London in a nice area
our room was of a good standard clean large twin room,bath/shower etc if a little dated no concerns
breakfast was as expected -the usual from a traditional English or cereal as you would expect from a budget hotel -very average
look we booked this through superbreaks for £269-which included return train travel for 2 from Edinburgh,2nights b&b at the hotel,2 unlimited oyster cards and a trip on the thames .so overall we got a great deal you couldn't book it yourself separately for less so very pleased

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
FranciscoSalazar1982, Front Office Manager at Britannia Hampstead Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Reviewed 3 January 2014

me and my partner stayed in an 'executive' suite there over the new year for 3 nights and it had to be the worst hotel we've stayed in and made it difficult to enjoy our break in London. The bathroom had brown mould all over the floor and the plug in the bath was black. We also found blood on the floor and duvet, and hairs on our pillows and dampness around the windows. The curtains were run down and the location wasn't great at all as it's situated nearby to se high rise flats. Upon arrival the staff member on duty told us to 'WAIT' in a very sharp and awful tone of voice after us saying excuse me to her. I could go on but there would be nothing good for me to say; advise from us is just dont waste your money here!!!!!

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank JN994

Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

...but not much!
Having read the other reviews I did approach my stay here with some trepidation. Check in was fine but reception somewhat dirty. Placed in a basement room the walk along the corridor was accompanied by the unsubtle smell of sewage with a background damp odour.
Room was small with the wardrobe put in front of the wooden shutter that may have been once a window - presumably as some sort of security measure. Bathroom was clean but had a makeshift frosted window frosted with stick on plastic sheet.
Arriving back quite late (it was New Years) the night reception security guard looked a bit grubby but was helpful enough so can't complain. Back to the room and time for bed, not very comfortable and probably over 20 years old. Room was noisy but was to be expected at this time of year.
Overall the hotel is very tatty but not bad priced and in a convenient location so as long as you know what you are letting yourself in for book with caution.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

I am sorry that you were dissapointed with our basement, in my opinion rooms are ok due to they have been refurbished recently, I am sorry to hear that you found smelly corridors. I will investigate it and make sure it will not happen again.

Reviewed 31 December 2013

We have traveled extensively and stayed in several London hotels. We were given a basement room - horrible! Unclean, smelled of mold, shabby, tiny, no hair dryer, towels like dish rags, and very over-priced. I refused to sleep under the covers because of the filth. Couldn't move because of holiday and we only were staying one night do stuck it out. The front desk attendant when checking in was extremely rude and unhelpful. When we reported this to the manager upon checking out, he didn't seem at all concerned - told us that "maybe she was having a bad day!" Hello! This is the hospitality industry! Do yourself a favor and stay away from this place. For the price, there are many other places of much better quality.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank DFinSA
Reviewed 29 December 2013

My husband and I stayed here in September 2013. We were put in a basement room, which was basic and clean BUT very near a function room so it was noisy. Also, the corridors getting to the room were filthy! It looked like they hadn't hoovered for weeks and the white doors were grey they were so dirty. The breakfast we paid for was all cold and we didn't even bother eating it the second morning! The overall look of the reception was very shabby. It looked like it hadn't been decorated in years! I would only advise staying here if you are on a higher floor as these rooms look nicer and may be more pleasant. We will not stay there again!

Room Tip: Check you are on a higher floor and skip the breakfast option.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tracy F

I'm sorry that your stay was disappointing as a result of our restaurant food. I can assure you that the matter is being looked into and will be dealt with accordingly.