“one night stay” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #949 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Christchurch, England, United Kingdom
“one night stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

stayed for a night at this hotel as a special deal with breakfast and a bottle of wine on the first night....we had room 313 on 3rd floor, the furnishings are quite dated and a little shabby and the carpet is the same and the two chairs in the room are quite stained !!! .....but we found that the bedding and towels were spotless and that the bathroom although again a little shabby was clean, the water was hot and plentiful but it did ""steam up "" as there was no extractor fan. we did have to ask for tea and coffee satchets as none had been left in the room but they did arrive quickly along with the wine. the rooms on the front are a bit noisy and the old style metal windows are difficult to open and do steam up quickly...... I have to say that there was a slight smell in t.he corridor on the 3rd floor but NOT in our room.. the bar area has furniture that has really seen better days and overall the hotel could do with a good refit....... breakfast was plentiful with hot and cold food on offer,but...... tinned tomatos,,tinned mushrooms, tinned fruit but fresh crossoints...tea and coffee in flasks. very basic...reception staff were really lovely and helpful with directions to different places and bus routes....... so overall"""" MY""" personal experience is ... this is an ""average basic hotel"".. situated in a very good position and is almost exactly what you should expect for the price you pay..in the london area

Room Tip: rooms on the back might be quieter traffic wise better views from higher floors,
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
FranciscoSalazar1982, Front Office Manager at Britannia Hampstead Hotel, responded to this review, 16 February 2014
Thank you for your kind comments and compliments – I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Kind regards

Kind Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Midlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

I have stayed at The Britannia Hampstead on many occasion. It is convenient for Camden and Primrose Hill and Regents Park AND it has parking.
We arrived late but check in was efficient. We pre-booked breakfast for the morning as there was a discount. The room was warm with clean facilities. The beds were quite lumpy but not unbearably so.
In the morning the breakfast was plentiful with fresh fruit, yogurts, toast, croissants, bacon, eggs,mushrooms etc.
What was outstanding this time was the service from the lady at reception. Natalia was pleasant, friendly, efficient and showed excellent customer service.
As the rain had stopped (briefly) we walked into town through Regents Park, which took about 35 minutes so it was ideal.
I would recommend this hotel for an overnight stay - good price, good location, good staff and parking. Just don't expect glamour!

Room Tip: A room at the back is quieter

Kind regards
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2014

After initially making a mistake and booking a pre-pay rate, I called Booking.com (who were great by the way) to amend it to a flexible . I received confirmation of this over the phone and via email stating there would be NO CHARGE for it (I'd booked a lot of rooms, so they were going to make a lot more money).
In the meantime, the hotel took money from my account with no notification whatsoever, leaving me over my overdraft limit and incurring charges. When I challenged this, they could not have been more unhelpful and were verging on rude.

Finally, after two week of calls, Booking.com are agreeing to refund me, as Britannia are flat-down refusing to even entertain the idea, despite taking my money without my say-so.

I will never even consider providing this company with further custom and would recommend they took some courses in customer service.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

Staff checked us in to a dungeon room in the basement, the smell was like a sewer walking along corridor, opened room door to find it was like a prison cell with no windows ( and a used condom packet left in wardrobe!!). Complained to reception that it was impossible to stay in that room, they would not budge and said they were full.It was only when my husband explained i had a medical condition and could not possibly use that room without a window,at that the receptionist upgraded us to an executive room. What a laugh i nearly choked when we entered this upgrade, the smell of damp was horrific, the bath was filthy (pubic hair) the shower had a fur coat of mould. the mattress was attrocious, so threadbare the springs were about to explode. I can honestly say the only good thing about the Hotel was our checkout!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank chellsey w
FranciscoSalazar1982, Front Office Manager at Britannia Hampstead Hotel, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
I am sorry that you have been disappointed with your stay at Britannia Hotel. All feedback is treated with the utmost seriousness and we will investigate your comments with a mind to improve our service to all our guests.

I am really sorry to hear that you had to move rooms and felt the service was not up to your expectations which I’ll look into personally

Kind regards
Kenilworth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

OK, this Britiannia is a little tired and faded. Yes the furniture in the rooms seems to have been around longer than the hotel and had a harder life. And the showers can be a challenge to operate. But everything is very clean and the staff are very customer focused and attentive. And look where you are positioned - within reasonable walking distance of Hampstead, Regents park and Chalk farm tube. And look too at what you are paying for this well positioned hotel - my deal gave me a double room, en suite for £70 per night! Travelling about England I have become accustomed to demands for up to £100 for fairly ordinary B&Bs. I spent the money I saved on good food and drink!

Room Tip: I heard a regular guest protest against being allocated a basement room. He argued that the outside...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit. I look forward to seeing you again in the near future

Ely, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

An excellent example of rude reception staff when they are talking about you to each other, IN FRONT OF YOU!!!!! Follow that with ignoring you & huffing at you & you have Britania Hotel hospitality at it's best. And then to be allocated a rank SMOKING room next to a gang of foul mouthed work men, the brightest moment of our stay was the 'good morning' that had been written on the mirror by some previous guest!

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family

I'm surprised to read your comments regarding our customer service as you can see from previous reviews, our team has always had positive feedback however I will investigate all comments.
Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

We have just stayed in this hotel I read the reviews on Tripadvisor before we went some for it and some against, well I am with the against. Pleasant staff, good bed but the housekeeping service very poor. Most days we only had 1 hand towel and 1 bath towel between the two of us, again most days housekeeping didn't top up the tea and coffee again we had to ask, bathroom could have done with a good clean as the corners were black with damp, aluminium windows were filthy as were the net curtains and windowsills. One night we considered eating in the restaurant but at 5pm the menu was still from the day before, the waiting staff in the dining room couldn't tell us as he said the chef was not in yet, when I mentioned at reception if they knew what was for dinner their reply was that the chef was still working on it , as no-one seemed to know we went out, only small things but individually but never the less could have been better. On the plus side the location was quiet and handy for both bus and underground stations.

Room Tip: If you are thinking of choosing this hotel please read Tripadvisor
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
FranciscoSalazar1982, Front Office Manager at Britannia Hampstead Hotel, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Many thanks for the review. We always welcome feedback and my team and I are glad that you overall enjoyed your stay with us. I hope we can be part of your future travel plans.