“What's all the fuss about?”

Britannia Hampstead Hotel
Ranked #939 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“What's all the fuss about?”
Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

We booked here to go to the roundhouse. We needed cheap and close. It did it all! You want to moan about this place, then put it on your credit card. Staff were lovely and room ok. Exactly what we expected for the dirt cheap. very basic, bit hey. I'm no superstar

Stayed March 2014
FranciscoSalazar1982, Front Office Manager at Britannia Hampstead Hotel, responded to this review, 15 March 2014
Thank you for your kind comments and compliments – I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Kind regards

Kind Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here a gift through wowcher. On arrival in the taxi I had to ask if we were at the right place as the outside was filthy fag butts on floor cans of lager in the hedge and broken glass in the door. This was not as the pictures had shown. We checked in and given room 011 which was a cold basement room, on entering the room I could have cried, the room stunk of damp, the carpets was threadbear and had stains all over it( sick) The window was rotten and a draft was coming through from an old door or hatch behind wardrobe. The curtains where mouldy from the windows, the view was a hedge a strongbow cider can and a condom packet!! We asked to be moved as not happy also I can not be in a room like this due to medical condition we got room 501 although better it was still very outdated, bathroom was in need of refurb, tiles we're black with mould and black hair and mould in bath and around toilet. There was a crack in sink and panelling was coming off wall. Bed was clean at least but was old twin pushed together and started itching all night god knows why!! . Only one socket under the table, light switch for room didn't work or no bulb. To top it off room next door became occupied at night and they didn't stop taking till 3am, there was also a smell of cannabis on our floor (nice). In wardrobe there was signs of mice as wood been chewed!! Room noise at night was awful hardly slept. TV only had 6 channels working and had a constant red line through it. Oh one good comment good selection of food but cold, staff pleasant. Such as disappointment as this was a gift and a break well needed. Britannia group you need to market and update your details as pictures are misleading. Will not be going back. Health hazard.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
FranciscoSalazar1982, Front Office Manager at Britannia Hampstead Hotel, responded to this review, 8 March 2014
Thank you for your review, I am sorry that you have been disappointed with your stay at Britannia Hotel. All feedback is treated with the utmost seriousness and we will investigate your comments with a mind to improve our service to all our guests.

Kind regards,
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Booked this hotel on a kgb deal (£89 for 2 for 2 nights) for a trip to London to see my daughter. On arrival we had to wait for 2 hours for the room to be ready. I paid an extra £20 for an executive room thinking it would be bigger. The room was standard size, small double bed. mouldy bathroom. toilet seat fell off. The evening meal first night was horrendous, cold, tasteless and over seasoned with salt, salt and more salt. There was one young waitress walking about looking bored. shaking the pans in the hotplate to make the food look 'good'. We filled up on bread rolls and fried onions off the sausage. nice!!!! Breakfast next morning was slightly better. Needless to say we did not eat the next evening meal, because it looked the same as the night before. Don't get me wrong it is in a fabulous location for Camden market and the tube station is not far away and it was 'cheap'. But I will not be staying there again. Britannia you need to wake up and smell the coffee. A dash of paint, fresh cooked food (not frozen) and some happy staff would make the world of difference.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family

Kind regards
Bournemouth
Reviewed 3 March 2014

My husband booked this hotel with a travel agent as part of a theatre trip weekend. Considering the amount he paid the hotel should have been much better. We stayed in room 302 on a room only basis and whilst it was clean, was tired looking and in need of a massive refurbishment. This room is next to the lift and I'm glad I brought ear plugs as you could hear the workings clearly. The other downside was that we lost room on what would have been the bathroom. This room did not have a bath, and the shower was not in with the toilet and wash basin but in a separate cupboard. This meant you had to step out of the shower into the main room to dry yourself and was incredibly claustrophobic and the water was only just warm enough when turned up to maximum. The windows which were only single glazing, rattled in the wind and ran with water in the mornings. That said the room was warm which is fortunate as the quilt was very thin. The bed was reasonably comfortable however. The staff were helpful and friendly and the breakfast which we paid extra for on one of the days was acceptable. All in all this hotel is OK if you have got it as part of a deal but not otherwise.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms next to the lift unless you want to shower in a cupboard
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Many thanks for the review. We always welcome feedback and my team and I are glad that you overall enjoyed your stay with us. I hope we can be part of your future travel plans.

Romford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Looking at some of the other reviews, I am wondering if we actually stayed in the same hotel. Having seen an afternoon show in the West End, we took advantage of a bed/breakfast and bottle of wine voucher deal (£59.00 for two). My wife would be the first to complain about cleanliness but it would appear room 307 was to her satisfaction. It was at the front of the hotel overlooking the main road so with single glazed windows there was some traffic noise but it was not obtrusive. We had a good nights sleep....or maybe it was the wine! The bathroom was bright and clean. We had buffet dinner for £10.95 each which we thought was good value plus our free bottle of wine. Breakfast was included in the deal price but I note someone complained about the normal £10.50 price, I am amazed. Fruit juice, fruit, cereal, cooked breakfast, toast, tea and coffee, and being a buffet, as much as you like. Someone also commented on flasks and toast machine as being outdated, last time I stayed in Premier Inns they had exactly the same. I could possibly understand a few comments made but we certainly would not hesitate to visit again.

Weymouth, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We booked into the Britannia Hampstead for the wife's birthday and must say it was the perfect place to base ourselves for a night out in Camden. Just a short walk from Chalk Farm tube station, the hotel was easy to find and ticked all the right boxes for first impressions upon entry. The staff were polite, welcoming and were happy to help out with any information I required regarding the general area and Camden itself. The room was clean, pleasant, well appointed, everything worked and our room on the 4th floor was extremely homely and comfortable. The noise levels shot up if the windows were open but when closed it was possible to shut the whole world out of our room. The area of Camden Town itself is lively, eclectic, colourful, vibrant and extremely full of life with every musical and cultural taste catered for. The place is a real eye-opener and an amazing experience. The bottom line for me though is that at £55 you are not going to get better value for money for a Friday night hotel room in Central London unless you are prepared to kip in a cardboard box beneath a railway arch. As usual with my hotel experiences, I find that many of the negative comments I see appear to come from people expecting 5* facilities for 3* prices and anybody bearing any sense of rationality will know that ain't gonna happen. I will be back to Hotel Britannia Hampstead for future pilgrimages to the area and would heartily recommend the hotel and area to anyone wanting to do the same on a budget.

Room Tip: Don't expect 5* facilities for 3* prices and you will get along just fine. :)
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit. I look forward to seeing you again in the near future

Nuneaton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Me and my boyfriend stayed at the hotel for 2 nights (weds 26th- fri 28th feb). When we got to the hotel it looked quite run down on the outside, once we got into the reception area it looked nice, clean and a little posh. Most, if not all staff are french and struggled to understand us a little, however they did give us a map of the surrounding area. They took our details etc and gave us our key, we opened the door to the room and all we could smell was curry!! Which neither of us are fond of and our room should smell fresh and clean not of Wednesday nights dinner. The menu for wednesday night was: soup, curry, fish in a mint sauce and steamed vegetables, luckily we had been a walk into camden whilst waiting for our room to be ready and we noticed a dominoes pizza near by so we ordered pizza to the hotel. We didnt even think about having dinner at the hotel on thursday so we went to a restaurant (Spaghetti House) on oxford street. When we went down for breakfast thursday morning there was a minimal amount of food left. A hand full of chips, 2 spoonfuls of beans and 2 slices of bacon. No bread to make toast, but a variety of salad was available which i thought it was VERY ODD!! Breakfast is served 7am-9.30am we went down at 9.15 and there was hardly anything there, which i understand breakfast was nearly over but they still had guests coming down who had paid for a breakfast and got hardly anything! There was also a picture on the wall looking over the bed, which we ended up putting the throw over off the bed over it as it made us feel very uncomfortable. Due to a manic journey we had a sit down and put the tv on to find we only had channels 1-6, a news channel and Dave. Channel 4 did not work the first night we were there but worked on the second day for some reason. As we sat on the sofa we noticed a few damp patches on the wall near the plug sockets. The decor of the hotel past the reception was very dated. We found thick black hairs on the walls, in the shower and around the sink in the bathroom. Also when you sat on the loo you could see toothpaste marks all down the underside of the sink and down the wall. The room walls were paper thin to the point we could hear what our neighbours were saying, they also had a child with them which was slightly annoying. There was a door within the room linking ours and the next room together which the child next door kept knocking on which i know this is not the hotels fault but there should not be a door there if it isnt needed there. We could feel every spring in the mattress. VERY UNCOMFORTABLE!! Also there is no entertainment in the hotel at night so you either have to walk about 10 mins to somewhere or get a taxi or stay in and watch tv. AND THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE A DELUXE ROOM!!! There was NO view what so ever other than what looked like a air conditioning unit which had parts hanging off it!!

1 Thank Steph R