“Don't go there”

Britannia Hampstead Hotel
Ranked #951 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed 6 June 2014

There are many examples of poor hotels - usually we are lucky but this time we found ourselves in a hotel which in our opinion should be closed by the local authority until it is safe and clean. The owners of this miserable Manchester based chain should be ashamed to offer such properties in a capital city ..........it is Blackpool 1950s writ large. Perhaps the company has no budget, is running at a loss, cannot raise funds for investment, does not train staff. Whatever,this IS Fawlty Towers.
The photographs tell it as it is .......each is captioned appropriately.

Room Tip: Don't even book the place
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank petergoodall
Write a ReviewReviews (1,062)

Reviewed 6 June 2014

I stayed here last night for, thankfully, just a single night. A colleague & I were working locally and the business we were working for had booked this on our behalf.

From the outside, while approaching the hotel, we could see the curtains of the rooms appeared plasticky and were a mustard yellow in colour, sure enough our fears were realised.

On paying for the rooms in this central London hotel the pdq machine failed to complete the process of a standard chip and pin card 3 times, in the end she swiped the card and I signed for it.

Room keys come attached to a 6" x 1" block of plastic. Easily removed for pocketing the key in order to go out for a bit into Camden, which I promise you will want to do!

The rooms are smelly and outdated, I felt as if I had just walked into my gran's house.
Carpet circa 1970's public house.
Curtains from a 1960's cafe diner (I should feel lucky, my colleague had a room on the sub ground floor, room 009, with NO WINDOWS!).
TV was a flat screen but old and the sound was thick and terrible.
There were two chairs under the window, both were stained by god knows what and one had a huge tear in it. I didn't feel safe to even try and sit in either.
The bed was rock solid when I sat on it.
In the bathroom, coming out from beneath the bath itself and running along the wall at floor level was and electrical conduit with T+E electrical cable running through it, presumably for the lights! Not sure this room really meets H&S standards!!!
The shower was dated but ok, once you had fiddled with the stiff controls to get some water that neither froze nor scalded you.
Oh and I had a chandelier and a spooky picture on the wall opposite the bed :)

I was in room 220.

To it's credit the bedsheets themselves were clean but I will actively avoid this hotel in the future.

Room Tip: Avoid the ground floor rooms; 009 etc. if you want a windows. Avoid the hotel in general
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 June 2014

This is exactly how I imagine a hotel in East Berlin would be if Rosa Kleb and miserable Stasi rejects designed it. Only redeemed by letting you smoke in the rooms. Two horrible painted East European reception staff. Worn, peeling, cheapest possible everything. The hotel itself was just as bad. The first room I had was next to some screaming pipes and the phone didn't work. So they couldn't give me the promised alarm call. They didn't, even when they moved me to another room, gracelessly and sullenly, where the phone did work. The bed was as hard as a rock i.e. the mattress was so thin you are touching the wooden base. Stains on the carpet, rusted fittings. Avoid this at all costs, unless you are a smoker. The breakfast was ok but the coffee had been made possibly days before and was imprisoned in a vacuum jug. Primrose Hill is a lovely area, though.

Room Tip: The rooms facing away from the street are quiet. Just as well, as I had to leave the windows open al...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

If you want to hear every sound on your floor, want to feel like the people who are talking along the corridor are in your room, hear everyone going in and out if their rooms than come here.

If you don't and want a peaceful nights sleep go somewhere else.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sheneenm
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Me and my brother stayed here for one night after a concert in London. It was fine to crash after a heavy night but that's about it. When we checked in the room stunk of bleach and we had to leave the window open all throughout so not to choke on the smell. The toilet didn't quite flush fully and the lights in the bathroom worked randomly, the beds were thankfully clean. The hotel is cheap for the location and does the basic job of giving you somewhere to sleep. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to spend more than sleeping time in the hotel, it just wasn't nice at all.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank mrjorzuff
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Probably the worst I've ever stayed in. Dated......Smelly........ Single beds.....and feel unsafe.

The front desk staff are nice though although very slow.

Was supposed to stay 3 nights......Checked out after the first night and forfeited the other 2 nights which I had to pay in advance. But it was better to move and suffer the loss than put my health and safety at risk.

Never Again

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Shanemjoyce
Reviewed 17 May 2014

...On the positive side (and that's why it gets a poor rather than terrine!) the front desk staff are lovely and very helpful.

Unfortunately the hotel is so unbelievably dated, the furniture very tired and the rooms and almost have a "dirty" feel to them. I stayed for one night (it was supposed to be two) at the start of a week long course being held at the hotel. When I arrived the foyer looked like it needed a good clean and stank of smoke. On the night I stayed the room just felt grubby, not all of the lights worked, there was a couple of dubious stains on both the curtains and the sofa in the room. There was a really bizarre picture in the bathroom too.

When I stayed there seemed to be a large number of guests who were really quite rude and who proceeded to party in their rooms (getting rather drunk and leery whilst listening to some pretty bad 80s music) from around 7.00pm (when I arrived) until around 3.30am the following morning (whilst moving up and down the corridors talking loudly and knocking on each others doors!!). At around 6.00am a generator (which was immediately outside the window of my room) kicked in - meaning I got rather little sleep!! Perhaps not entirely the fault of the hotel (at least the guests) but not good none-the-less.

I would definitely not recommend this hotel unless you really don't care about the surroundings. I can't even say that its value for money as to be honest you can get a decent private room in a hostel for a similar price!!

Like I said, the only one redeeming feature is the front desk staff who did appear to be very helpful (or at least understanding!) - they did after-all refund the price of the night I'd paid for but didn't stay for.

Room Tip: Avoid the first floor (and in particular 112 unless you want a very early start!!).
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo