“Serendipity Traveler's Choice in London”

Knightsbridge Hotel
Ranked #371 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Mass
“Serendipity Traveler's Choice in London”
Reviewed 2 June 2012

The women traveling with me on Serendipity Traveler's English Garden Tour are always delighted with my choice of The Knightsbridge Hotel. Perfectly situated for exploring, comfortable and quiet rooms for relaxing and a staff that is attentive to all details provides a perfect place to perch in London.

Room Tip: I prefer rooms on the upper levels.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank travellady8

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Reviewed 20 May 2012

Im a big fan of Firmdale Hotels and usually stay at Number 16, but on occasion when it's full I stay at the Knightsbridge.

This is a stylish and truly 'boutique' hotel, furnished and decorated beautifully with great attention to detail. Furnishings and fixtures in the rooms are of a very high standard, and it's ALWAYS spotlessly clean - the whole hotel is. Beautiful linen, towels and plentiful supplies of Miller and Harris toiletries. For the ladies an excellent high powered profsssional haidryer is also provided!

Although you might find some rooms a little on the small side everything you need is here and the location of the hotel 5 minutes from harrods and 3/4 minute walk to the tube (picidilly line) is really fantastic. The hotel is set away from Brompton Raod so you get the benefits of location with the setting of a lovely quiet tree lined residential street.

Breakfast and room service food are very good - tip - this hotel does not have a dining room or restaurant and although you are welcome to sit down in one of the two public rooms downstairs it's expected that you will have breakfast served in your room.

Excellent and very friendly staff who will do their best to accommodate and help you.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Odebash
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 27 April 2012

Stayed here for 5 days for a combination work/ holiday stay with husband.
My assistant had called ahead of time as I had a bad experience with another hotel and was worried about this hotel and the impending Tube strike --- I had NOTHING to worry about as the staff and hotel of the Knightsbridge hotel was stunning from start to finish.

Checking in we saw the lovely lobby and instantly felt at home with the kind, friendly staff. They insisted we leave our luggage for them to bring up , and had our room ready even though we arrived at about 10 a.m. They had apparently made notes from my assistant's call about the Tube strike and talked to me about it immediately & offered their help at any time should the strike occur.

Up to the room - as noted there is only one lift, but we never waited more than about a minute for the lift. Up to the 5th floor - room #506. This is a "Superior Room" - about in the middle range of their rooms. The room was amazing in every way. You walk in to a small hallway with the bath on the right.

Bath was all grey marble - with good space for all your travel toiletries, large mirror, makeup mirror, good lighting and natural light from a window you can actually open. (Window is frosted for privacy). Big bathtub and shower with also a hand held attachment if you're taking a tub. Note: the tub/ shower is elevated about 2 inches up from the floor, if you're short like me just take care getting in & out. Lovely Miller Harris toiletries (bath gel, shampoo, conditioner and a few body lotions and soap) as well as a container of cotton squares and Q -tips. Nice towel warmer for cozy warm towels and two very thick robes as well.

Back out to the hall, down about 2 stairs and through a door to the bedroom. (Nice that the bathroom is up & away from the bedroom - a bit more privacy and room.) The doors are really well made and heavy - but helps with soundproofing. We never heard anything from another guest, the outside, etc. Great for sleep!

Room was lovely with a green & pink scheme with two large windows--including a view of Harrod's dome (lights up at night) and smokestack. Double side bed with lovely soft linens and one of the best sleeps we've ever had. Good size desk with an ipod player, desk lamp, phone. Real books in the bookcase (nice English touch) and great prints on the walls. Plenty of mirrors as well. Two good size bedside tables that both had dresser - like storage. Both had bedside lamps as well. Good size closet with lots of hangers (wooden, padded and skirt/ pant hangers) and lavender sachet. Storage shelves as well - plus the usual iron, board, slippers, umbrella,hair dryer, etc.) [Ladies: they had the BEST hairdryer I've ever used - super strong and you can plug it in at the desk, sit there in front of the large mirror and great lighting to do your hair. ] Mini bar behind other closet door with a large selection of drinks and treats - anything you can imagine! Also a good size safe that we were able to fit 2 ipads, a laptop & a camera in. An additional lovely side chair for sitting was next to a large (40"?) flat screen TV with ~35 channels. (Nice for winding down at night).

The staff was so courteous, considerate and helpful at any given time- from holding doors, helping with tea or anything else you need. Nothing was impossible and everything was custom. You were treated like you were the only guest in the hotel.

Back later from our first day there was a lovely hand written note and a box of truffles - welcome gift from the staff. You also receive bottled water and glasses at bedside turn down service every night and on the first night we received some great lavender pillow spray as well. You also receive the paper every morning - and we noticed the staff puts a little sticker on it with the weather for the day (in Celsius and Fahrenheit) -- nice touch!

The two sitting areas were never busy when we were there - and we loved having tea in the library. Tea service is impeccable - both the "full Knightsbridge" tea and the basic "cream tea." The scones are the BEST we had anywhere in London - soft, warm with a bit of crisp on the outside and fluffy in the inside. Tea brewed perfectly and the sweets & sandwiches were fresh, handmade and tasty. We highly recommend having tea at the Knightsbridge at least once!

There is the Honor Bar as well - help yourself & record it on the sheet to be billed to your room. Every type of soda, juice, mixer, wine, champagne on ice and liquor you can imagine. Also treats such as Ben & Jerry's mini ice creams, cookies, crisps and more. It was nice to pour a drink at the end of the night and take it up to your room. There is a Nespresso machine as well.

Room Service: is available 24 hours and everything on the menu is available at any time (i.e. breakfast in the middle of the night) Everything was fresh, hot and took about 20 minutes. Reasonable prices as well. We pre-ordered breakfast twice to be delivered in the morning (fill out the form and leave out on your door at night.) Also had dinner delivered once - but had breakfast items. Amazing light, fluffy, huge "Canadian pancakes" and eggs and bacon. Yum.

During the week - the staff was always helpful (tube map), caring (offered umbrellas from the lobby), offering to book taxis, etc. Great with directions to local attractions too. Note; excellent location! Close to Knightsbridge and South Kensington Tube lines, the V&A Museum, Natural History Museum, Science Museum, Hyde Park, Royal Albert Hall, Harrod's... and much much more. We felt really safe in the location - and quick 1-2 minute walk to pharmacy (Boot's), convenience/ grocery store (Marks & Spencer) and a few pubs, cafes and coffee shops around. For a quick coffee, the local chain of Cafe Costa actually has decent pastry and coffee. There is a Patisserie Valerie down the block as well with beautiful pastries in the window and a good place for a quick lunch.

Last day we came back to our room with another handwritten note and some fresh shortbread with caramel and chocolate - what can I say about this great hotel & staff? Last day checking out I felt bad that I wanted to pay part of my cost (personal costs) on my own card and the rest on my corporate card - but nothing was a hassle for the staff. They were gracious, fast and didn't mind at all. Then help to get our luggage and we were very reticent and sad to leave this amazing hotel.

Thanks to all the staff of the Knightsbridge hotel for our stay - we've never stayed in a lovelier, warm, gracious hotel with such an attentive, warm & charming staff. We'll be back as soon as we can!

Room Tip: The Superior room seemed to be a great balance of value and size.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank peapod33
Fenstanton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2012

I have mixed views about writing this report, as I really do not want this secret oasis in Knightsbridge to become popular. I really like the Firmdale Hotel’s offering and this for me this is one of my favourites. If I have to stay in London this would be my first choice, hence not wanting to make it so popular I cannot get a room. The hotel is intimate, luxurious and is like staying at a friend’s house. Tasteful lounges and an honesty bar help the overall home from home experience. The bedrooms are not the largest but they are beautifully appointed and lack for nothing. The only downside for some people might be the complete lack of public eating space. There is no restaurant of any description in the hotel, so everything is 24-hour room service or out of house. Not a problem for me as I enjoy the numerous cafés, bars and restaurants a stone’s throw away. If you do choose to eat in the lounge area it is a bit like TV dinners. Setting this small point aside, this is my first choice of London hotels; long may I be able to get a room. Sadly after this review I suspect it may not be as easy!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank NigelFerrier
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Reviewed 5 April 2012

My father, mother and two children stayed at The Knightsbridge Hotel for a week in 1946 (Yes, that's right) while we were house hunting for a six months' stay in London. (We ended up in Golders Green.) I still have fond memories of the stay in that hotel and the appearance of the frontage. I recall the breakfasts were quite good despite wartime rationing being still in force (perhaps it did not apply to hotels). The location was , of course, excellent as regards restaurants, shopping, tube etc.. I hope it maintains the same standards. (Please note the year of the visit. I marked May 2011 for 'When did you travel' as one of the dates provided is apparently required for the form to be submitted.)

Room Tip: Choose a front room
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Wesakmal
Chappaqua, New York
Reviewed 30 March 2012

Would like to give special thanks to the manager and deputy general manager of this hotel. Their follow-up and attention to a special request on my part was above and beyond my expectations. The hotel went as far as transferring my request to a sister property, The Crosby in New York City, where the kind and efficient manager of this hotel picked up the gauntlet.
We truly consider The Knighstbridge a home away from home, which is in large part due to their staff.....not forgetting the general excellence of the hotel!

Room Tip: In our experience, all the rooms have been good. While stranded once at the hotel during a snow eve...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank oldflame6
Herefordshire
Reviewed 12 March 2012

Stayed for just one night, while up in London for my birthday in November. Sadly didn't really have enough time to appreciate the room, as only got to it at 9pm. However, staff were lovely and we were upgraded to a Junior suite which was fantastic. We couldn't quite believe how quiet the room was, when Knightsbridge is merely a stones throw away, but we slept brilliantly - amazing comfy bed.
We did use room service for supper, which was really quick, and tasted fine.
Only negative is no restaurant for breakfast, but there are so many places nearby, this really wasn't a problem.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple