“Quick and very good”

Le Pain Quotidien
Ranked #5,879 of 22,376 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Cafe, European, Soups, French
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Covent Garden
London, United Kingdom
“Quick and very good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013

My girlfriend and I have been here a couple of times, usually before work, for breakfast or brunch (we work just round the corner), and we always enjoy it. Quite simple but very effective in my opinion. I don't usually write reviews, but a couple of weeks ago, we popped in for breakfast, I had boiled eggs, OJ and a coffee and my other half had some granola or something like that, and the young waitress that served us was simply amazing. She was very busy but both my girlfriend and I (who work in restaurants), agreed that it was some of the best service we've ever had. I can't remember her name, but I think she was eastern European, possibly called Katarina? We were a little pressed for time, she sensed this, and just looked after us wonderfully. But it wasn't just us, we were watching her and the same care and attention she showed to us, she showed to everybody. Thank you whatever your name is, we think your ace!

• Visited November 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Basildon
“A real find !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

This is an amazing find within Covent Garden, aim for the far left corner at the opposite end to the tube. Whilst you might have to wait a while to be seated it is worth it. Pricing, which you would expect due to the location to be on the high side, is very reasonable. The Petit Déjeuner for £ 8,00 includes a choice of breads, jams, a hot drink and orange juice which for London is amazing value. Take it account the wonderful building and attentive staff and the whole experience is well worth a visit. Only fault is that service is compulsory as they include this onto the bill at approx. 12% - they shouldn't worry about a tip.

• Visited November 2013
Herefordshire, United Kingdom
“Simple but pleasant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

For a quick and interesting snack in an interesting building this was very good value, and very tasty.

Visited September 2013
Denbigh, United Kingdom
“One of my favourite breakfast places!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2013

Le Pain Quotidien is one of my favourite breakfast places and I have visited a few across London. The Coven Garden location is very pretty with lovely surroundings. I chose the soft boiled eggs off the menu and we shared a basket of bread. They got our order slightly wrong but this can be forgiven as the staff were very friendly. Prices are always very good however we sat outside and although very pleasant, there is nowhere nearly enough space between tables. Between us the next table was only a matter of inches and this made it slightly uncomfortable.

Overall LPQ is a great breakfast venue although I'd may be choose one of their other venues across the City.

• Visited May 2013
Horsens, Denmark
“Busy, popular and good service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2013

Touring London, and going to Covent Garden with the kids to have a look at the artists, the shops, the market, and the general hustle and bustle and liveliness of the area.
We needed something to fill up the depots and maybe be warmed a little (it was the last really cold day before the spring hit London).
We wanderead about a little and discovered this café with freshly baked bread (organic) and other good stuff.
We went upstairs and were told that we had to wait 5 minutes before we could get a seat, which was OK, seen in the light of the really many people crowding the place.
We were shown to a large table, where the four of us could occupy one end (thus sharing it with some other people) - fine for me, this was an opportunity to talk with people, which is always interesting as a tourist.
The service was quick and attentive, despite the fact that the place was so busy.
We decided for home baked scones with cream and jam for me and my wife together with tea and coffee, and the kids went for hot cocoa and a strawberry pie. The scones were good, as was the jam, but I must say I had expected clotted cream - but anyway it was good. The strawberry pies for the kids were a whole, small pie for each, but they managed to eat it to the last crumb, which I consider a hallmark for the quality.
A funny quirk is that the cups are bowls - without a handle. This amused the kids, and I think it's OK - I guess this is one of the small things distinguishing the chain.
The place is not cheap as such, but in nice surroundings in the old markets halls, and conveniently located.
Definitely worth a try.