“Surprised previous reviews were so low!”
Review of Princess of Wales

Princess of Wales
Ranked #11,872 of 24,089 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$13 - US$22
Cuisines: British, Pub, Gastropub
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Blackheath's most scrumptious pub.As you'll see in our commemorative snug, The Princess Of Wales has long been associated with the egg-shaped ball. As well as being linked to the Blackheath Rugby Club, the oldest in the world, the pub served as a changing room during the first ever international between England and Wales, which was played on the heath. Today we're better known for our great location and a pub food and drinks range that would satisfy any strapping prop forward.
Reviewed 24 June 2014

To start, yes the prince of wales is expensive. I lived in blackheath for a year and it is not somewhere to find a cheap meal! However, this is my favourite pub there. Set right on the Heath with a gorgeous garden.. And you can take your drinks on the Heath. I have eaten here a few times in the past. It's not cheap but the food is good and generous with the portions.

Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

We are regular customers at this pub. Or used to be. Visited with friends to eat n ordered food just at their cutoff point for orders - 9pm. Had checked at the bar if we could still order and was told yes. Took a few mins to get order thru n card payment processed. 5 mins later barman came back and said kitchen refused to take it as ticket showed 9.02. So we were given money back and told that was that. Didn't matter that we were regulars. Or that we had taken the time to ask if order could be accepted. Really arrogant approach.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

...... because it's got a good range of beer and some nice food. The staff are friendly, too.
I've had a few pleasant meals at the Princess of Wales, the most recent being 23rd April when I was staying at the nearby Clarendon hotel. I don't go often, just a few times a year, but it's consistently good.

Reviewed 1 April 2014

My partner went here with his mother for Mother’s Day on Sunday, he got one of the last tables as he was told they only take a “limited number of bookings”. They ordered a roast dinner each and the meals arrived within 5 minutes of sitting down at the table! They must have been prepared ahead or had been sitting on the side waiting to be given to people.

The nut roast had a very burnt Yorkshire pudding on it (photo attached) and oddly a sprig of coriander on it – can’t say we have ever seen coriander on a roast dinner before. The food was luke-warm, the veg wasn’t cooked enough. Al dente is fine but basically raw isn’t.

Overall the experience was such a disappointment as the meals are not exactly cheap - £15.50 for roast beef. This wasn’t the Mother’s Day meal everyone had in mind, my partner specifically went here as it’s a regular place he visits for drinks and hasn’t had any issues in the past. The roasts are normally great and he loves the nut roast. Hopefully this bad lunch is a one-off.

1  Thank ElleP283
Reviewed 15 February 2014

This is a classic pub on the edge of Blackheath. They have a good selection of beers, most of them served at the rear bar. Despite the good beer selection, in an hour or so, I only saw one other pint of real ale poured, everyone else was drinking lager, even the adults! One beer I had was very good, and the bar man was happy to serve it properly, however I tried a Chocolate Orange Stout and it tasted off. They were happy to give a taste, but the lad behind the bar also tasted it and said it was how it was supposed to taste. Maybe he was right, if so, it was a dreadful beer, but I think, it was more likely that he wasn't familiar with it.

Definitely worth checking out, but take the time to get a taste of the beer to make sure it's OK.