“Can't make up my mind”

Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Mayfair
Cross street: Berkeley Square
Transit: Green Park / Oxford Circus / Bond Street tube
Description: Established in 2001 in London, Hakkasan has 11 restaurants around the world located in the United States, Europe, Middle East and Asia. Hakkasan offers guests a world-class culinary experience helmed by Michelin-starred chef Executive Head Chef Tong Chee Hwee. The menu is a modern interpretation of authentic Cantonese cuisine, using the finest ingredients and expert techniques to create timeless yet innovative signature dishes. Hakkasan Mayfair gained a Michelin star in 2011, less than a year after opening, and has retained it ever since.
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

I go regularly, because, for a Chinese restaurant that doesn't look like a canteen, there really aren't many options other than Hakkasan. There may be those claiming places like Min Jiang or even China Tang but the food is sub par at those, China Tang isn't bad food but it's not what would be considered restaurant food in Hong Kong, I digress. Just because Hakkasan is the only option, doesn't mean they can let standards slip. Today I was given "late afternoon menu" even though I was dining at 2.45pm and they claim they are open until 3.30pm for lunch. I went for dim sum, but ended up having the taste of Hakkasan menu, which is supposed to offer good value for money (3 cocktails + this =110 pounds for one... good value?) the dim sum platter in the taste of Hakkasan menu has become monotonous, venison puff didn't have enough black pepper, salad with "vegetarian abalone"?? I've eaten abalone in Singapore, and it's close to a mushroom but this salad was a cherry tomato, sliters of carrots and some cress in soy sauce... so what was meant to be the vegetarian abalone in this? the tomato? And on to the steamed, I do like their chive crab dumpling but the har gaw is standard and bulging, and the siu mai is tastless. For main I had crispy prawns, tasted like a takeaway salt and pepper prawns... cost at a takeaway around 4 pounds. the pak choi was a little over cooked, and the sauce was bland. I used two bowls of chili oil to eat it. Desert was macaroons which were decent enough. So, let's add this up at prices of other Chinese restaurants, 3 steamed dim sum (£4), 1 Char Siu Sao made with Venison (not available as one piece anywhere else and not with venison but let's divide the price of a normal portion, £1) and I will not attribute a cost to a single cherry tomato, some cress and ends of carrot. On to mains salt and pepper prawns (£6) steamed rice (£3) Pak choi (half portion £3), 4 macaroons (£4) - £21, Hakkasan charge 35 I think except the portions are smaller and other than the chive dumpling, Hakkasan versions are worse, not better. I did ask for the main menu, but they refused. There are some dishes worth their money on the main menu, but taste of Hakkasan should be named taste of Royal China at 2x the price, or better yet, taste of Green Cottage at 4x the price. 11 pounds for cocktails that contain barley any alcohol are of course a scam. Somehow if you ask them to make a standard margarita, it has quite a kick, but avoid the cocktail menu (which I did not today). I don't normally even consider the price of restaurants, but when the food is worse than places 1\5 the cost, what can I do? As I say some dishes are very good, like the duck salad, crab black pepper, sea bass, turbot, lamb chop, etc etc but my God the taste of Hakkasan needs work or needs to go!

3  Thank VWGU2

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Initial impressions were very good - lively atmosphere and welcoming staff. We were served drinks quickly and taken to our table. We ordered starters and mains which took longer than expected to arrive. The overall standard of the food was reasonable and we had to ask for two side dishes that had been missed from the order.

Overall we enjoyed the place, staff were friendly and food was quite tasty but wouldn't rush to go back.

4  Thank Deniz K
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Went there yesterday for dinner with my friend. Have been for a couple of times as this is one of my favourite fine dining Chinese restaurant in London. Undeniably, yesterday's dinner was another excellent outing.

For starters, I ordered my favourite, the dim sum platter. Exquisitelly crafted dainty morsels that were packed full of flavours. Simply amazing. Also tried the sesame prawn toast with foie gras. A creative rendition of the prawn toast that we all know from Chinese restaurants, these were definitely a very posh prawn toast! Minced prawns which is stuffed with melt-in-your-mouth foie gras in the centre, simply amazing. Where is the toast? No toast; only the real deal!

For mains we ordered the steamed New Zealand mini lobsters with glass noodles and chilli garlic sauce. The flavour of the lobsters were so fresh and paired well with the sauce. Also had the steamed turbot fillets with chanterelle mushrooms. Understandbly a tad salty due to the preserved vegetables toppings, nonetheless still a great dish. Mopped it all up with the steamed jasmine rice.

As we were already too full from the mains, we shared the banana, salted caramel souffle. Served warm, it was very fluffy and complemented well with the chocolate and vanilla ice cream lollies.

Would def. go back and back again! Well done once again.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Went here for New Years Eve. Crowded and ambiance was delightful. Overall good meal. Not worth the price, but fun atmosphere. Good for groups

Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Enter the Dragon; as you step from Bruton street into the nondescript door marked only with the symbol of Hakkesan, on of the capitals finest Michelin star restaurants where Asian Fusion is melded with the ambiance of Mayfair, you traverse the corridor which ripples with tranquility. Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it, Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.
We are shown to our table by the Hostess, dressed impeccably in a black Chinese silk mini dress accentuating her taught figure in all the right places. Our menus are placed upon the table, and the Norweigian Voss water crashes into a glass, then settles with stillness of a fjord on a summers day.
I order, the Dim Sum fragment in its elegance sit tantalisingly in the bamboo basket, the pastel colours like a impressionist work of art. The taste is sublime subtle hints of ginger and spices mixed indeterminably with the scallop shi mai, the shimji , Har Gauand and the Chinese chive dumplings a dash of chilli sauce just enough to set the soul on fire yet not impeach the delicate intracasies of taste that creates explosions of discovery on your taste buds each piece opening a new door to explore. This was match by a signature dish of crispy duck salad, mixed with pomelo, pine nuts & shallots then dressed like it was attending its own Private dinner party.
For the command performance we were presented with sweet and sour clay pot chicken that just melted in your mouth, the partner in crime was lightly coated prawns delicately butterflied and sautéed in spicy salt a dried chilli which left you lips quivering at the touch. The accompaniment was a medley of stir fried water chestnut and cloud ear all cooked to perfection and the stir fried rice with spring onions brought it all together in a cacophony of taste.
The service as always was impeccable to perfection. All in all a perfect Asian Fusion dining experience.

1  Thank Leslie A