“Unattentive staff and unsatisfactory food” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5,073 of 22,202 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$9 - US$21
Cuisines: British, Contemporary
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: Tube - Shepherd's Bush, Wood Lane; Overground - Shepherd's Bush; Bus - C1, 94, 148, 27, 207, 607, 49, 295, 72
Description: Balans Soho Society brings its bohemian spirit to Westfield, creating a cafe, restaurant, bar and member's establishment where normal rules don't apply. Reflecting the eccentric ethos of Soho, Balans Westfield is a refuge for bon vivants, dreamers and anyone who embraces the indulgent side of life. Offering breakfast, lunch, dinner, and morale boosting cocktails, the Balans menu reflects the restaurant's libertine outlook. Savour the pulled pork wrap with bourbon-flamed barbecue sauce and triple-cooked chips, Cornish crab linguine with chilli, or the Infamous Balans Burger, packed with Swiss cheese, bacon, lettuce, tomato, dill pickle and red onion. The quirky interior at Balans Shepherd's Bush contrasts the covered outdoor terrace which provides the perfect spot to sample the eclectic cocktail list.Balans Soho Society at Westfield offers a welcoming sanctuary from the shopping centre. Shepherd's Bush, Shepherd's Bush Market, and Wood Lane tube stations are all a short walk away.
London, United Kingdom
“Unattentive staff and unsatisfactory food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

Given the 'Balans' brand, I would have expected better service and better quality food. However, this was not the case. I arrived early before my other half, and within 5 minutes, was asked by 4 different waiting staff if I would like to order, despite telling the maître d' who sat me that I was waiting for someone else to arrive. This made me feel uneasy and rushed, despite there only being a few people in the restaurant. I ordered the smoked salmon and scrambled eggs and was very unhappy when the eggs arrived cold - it looked like they had been sat waiting for sometime.

Given the lack of attention paid by staff and poor quality food, I would not recommend this restaurant to others.

• Visited January 2014

Gibraltar
“Good but pricey”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

Good service good surroundings and food was good too. My only problem is that when the bill came they had added on an 'optional gratuity of 12.5%' . We paid it as to not make a fuss but later on checking the receipt realised it had added on nearly £20 to the bill. All good except for the added gratuity as I feel I should tip what I think is deserved.

• Visited November 2013
Singapore, Singapore
“Good food in Westfield London”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

After a few hours of shopping at the Westfield London Shopping Centre, we entered Balans for dinner -- the food did not disappoint, with cosy (in-door) ambience and good service. We ordered Edamame Tuna GBP16.95, Smoked Chicken Salad GBP8.25 and Chicken Supreme GBP13.95. The chicken dishes were especially well done.

• Visited September 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013

I had been to Balan's many times in different locations so when I went for a late dinner (9:30 pm on a Monday night) at Shepherd's Bush, I had no hesitation going in. As soon as we were seated we felt we had come in too late, the staff was cleaning up, putting away chairs, service was very fast, too fast to make it enjoyable and the food was bland. Our waitress was nice which was the only good thing I have to say about the place.

Visited July 2013
london
“Good food, good service - rather pricey though!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

Girly shopping trip so stopped here for a nice lunch - and it was! Squid to start between us and then a couple of main courses; accompanied by a cocktail. Good outdoor tables to people watch as we ate (a must in Westfield!) and the waitress was lovely (even not changing my cocktail to a glass of wine as it wasn't too my taste)

Cost wise though it was £81 which did make me think 'ouch'!

Perhaps better value for breakfast?

• Visited July 2013