“Excellent value for money”

The Grill at Flemings Mayfair
Ranked #6,786 of 22,664 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$19 - US$32
Cuisines: European
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Mayfair
Transit: Nearest London Underground station: Green Park
Description: Located in the heart of fashionable Mayfair, Flemings is situated in a peaceful residential street with the best of London's attractions, shopping and restaurants on our doorstep. The Grill is the glamorous and opulent Mayfair restaurant at one of London's oldest established luxury hotels. Open for lunch, afternoon tea and dinner, enjoy stylish decor, a relaxed atmosphere and personal service.
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
“Excellent value for money”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We booked a table at Flemings through a discount voucher website - I would recommend doing this to get even better value for money. The food was delicious but the service was what stood out, our waiter Ali was very attentive and friendly. I strongly recommend this place if you want to treat yourself or family to a fancy meal in a very fancy part of London!

• Visited August 2014
Moses S, Manager at The Grill at Flemings Mayfair, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Thank you for your brilliant review of your dining experience at The Grill at Flemings Mayfair Hotel.

It gives me great pleasure to learn that you chose The Grill for your dinner experience and you thoroughly enjoyed both the food and service.

I am glad to hear that Ali looked after all your needs.

We look forward to you joining us again in the near future.

Kind regards,

Moses Solomon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
London, England, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good Experience”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I have found a nice deal for a three course dinner for 2 at the Flemings Grill, we were welcomed by Ali who was very friendly and professional, the ambient was very friendly and chic, my girlfriend food looked and tasted(as far as she told) very good, my starter was pretty good however the main course was pretty dry, dessert topped the chart though and all in all we were very happy with the experience, the service was the main point to me, I really appreciate the warm welcome and been looked after, I would definitely go back

Dear Guest,

I am delighted that you choose the Grill at Flemings Mayfair hotel for your dining experience and Thank you for taking the time to review The Grill.

I am glad to know that Ali looked after your every need.

At the Flemings, we do pride ourselves on getting the experience right for our guests from the moment they walk into our establishment.
I can ensure you, that your comments are valued and will be take into immediate consideration.

London, United Kingdom
“Friendly, understanding but inefficient service for private party, misleading website menu, average afternoon tea”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I arranged a private surprise afternoon tea for an occasion for my husband. I had been liaising with Anna, their point of contact at the restaurant and my email dealings with her were prompt, timely and helpful. In the run up to the party, we exchanged several emails about dietary requirements, choice of afternoon tea etc and other details, such as the fact it was a surprise. All these details were logged in writing.

Unfortunately, it seemed this was where the efficiency ended. A little bit of background to booking this private function - we did not have to pay a deposit or room hire free for use of the private room but we had to have a minimum number of 12, which we did and we had to choose from a choice between champagne afternoon tea or chocolate afternoon tea, both of which range between approx £35 - £40. These are the 2 more expensive choices of tea as the cheaper choice of standard afternoon tea was not available in the private room.

Before I tell you why I felt the service and food were disappointing, let me start by telling you the positives:

- the service, although very disorganised, was very friendly - we were allocated a trainee waiter for the most afternoon. He told us he was a trainee and whilst we were understanding towards this, it was perhaps an unwise idea on the part of management to put a trainee in a room for a private party, to deal with the group on his own, particularly when there were various different dietary requirements to be remembered etc. He was very friendly and tried his best to be helpful but I think he had just not been instructed properly and we certainly didn't feel that any of the mistakes could be attributed to him personally.

- the chocolate tea drink itself and some of the cakes were delicious and the cakes in the standard champagne afternoon tea were beautifully presented.

- the room was lovely and perfect for the occasion and even had a large screen so it would be perfect for conferences, private parties needing video functions etc. Decorations were allowed so long as they weren't stuck down.

- a celebratory cupcake was brought out for my husband, which was a nice gesture.

- when I raised my concerns at the end of the party with one of the other waiters, he was extremely understanding and very graciously offered me some reductions to compensate for our dissatisfaction, a gesture that I was very grateful for and I appreciated the fact that the feedback was taken in this manner and not taken defensively.

Now, let me move onto why the experience did not live up to expectations:

- first and foremost, the fact that it was a surprise was stated from the beginning in all emails and was reiterated prior to the function. On the day, both the doorman at the hotel and the waiter in the main restaurant were told by my family members that it is a surprise and that when my husband and I arrive, no mention should be made of the fact that the rest of the group were already there, as my husband was unaware of any group. Unfortunately, the first thing the doorman said when we arrived was, "are you here for afternoon tea?" and when we said yes, he said "Go down the stairs through the restaurant, the rest of the group are already there. I was quite angry about this as it ruined the surprise prior to us entering the room and we ourselves could not have done much more to reiterate the point.

- we had specifically requested 5 mocktails in place of champagne for the members of the group who do not drink. We were not paying any less for this and yet when the drinks arrived, the waiters walked in with champagne for everyone, totally unaware about the mocktail requirement. When we raised the issue, they made mocktails up from scratch but this took a while and caused a delay in drinks service and unfortunately, the drinks seemed to be made of fizzy drink rather than fresh juice, which I found a bit sub-optimal for a Mayfair hotel and a tea of this cost, where I would expect better service.

- furthermore, stating that 5 mocktails were needed confused the staff about who to give the champagne too and those that were due to have Rose with their chocolate afternoon tea ended up having standard champagne, thereby missing out.

- the teas were present in a case of teas in the middle of the table but the only options we could see were green mint, earl grey, English breakfast and one other one. I find this quite surprising as I have never been to a tea in this price bracket or this type of location that has had such a limited choice. Furthermore, it wasn't made clear that we need to serve ourselves and they only bring out hot water - most quality afternoon tea establishments provide a menu detailing the choices of tea, which we did not receive.

- the website quite clearly states chocolate afternoon tea comes with a choice of 3 teas, chocolate, chocolate and cream or caramel and this is true of the website even at the time this review was written (17th Aug). Nobody asked us about our choices of tea and those of us who had ordered chocolate had to bring it up and ask for it ourselves before our choices for these specialty teas were made.

- the sandwiches were very dry, the bread tasted stale, the quality of the ingredients seemed cheap and underwhelming and not what one would expect in a quality establishment.

- Most disappointing of all though was the fact that the website menu for the chocolate afternoon tea was totally misleading and I think this amounts to false advertising, which is unacceptable. The chocolate afternoon tea costs approx £5 more than standard and those of us who had chosen it had done so on the basis of the menu listed on the website but found that the real chocolate tea did not match up at all. Let me be specific - the website (both prior to the event and after returning from the event) listed that chocolate tea would contain, chocolate scones, churros, chocolate truffles, a macaron, mini chocolate cupcakes, chocolate pave and chocolate gateau. In actual fact, we got the scones, pave, gateau and some mini eclairs but there was no sign at all of chocolate truffles, churros or cupcakes. Had we known this, the 4 members of our group who selected this option would all have chosen differently. It is hugely misleading to have such a discrepancy between the website menu and the real situation, especially as we were given no explanation and the waiting staff seemed to have no idea that anything was missing. The website needs to be updated and if all those elements are missing, then the chocoholic tea is hugely overpriced - being almost as expensive as places like The Dorchester for a fraction of the quality of choice.

Like I said earlier, when I raised the issue at the end of the afternoon, the member of staff I spoke to was very understanding and gave me an appropriate discount, which I appreciate and the trainee staff who served us was warm, friendly and tried really hard. I think the real issue here is poor management, lack of communication down the ranks, lack of attention to detail, lack of direction towards junior members of staff and a huge problem with misleading advertising, which is the biggest flaw here.

I am disappointed to say that I will not be coming here again to arrange a party and doubt very much that I would ever come back to dine here either.

1 Thank hungryforcake
Thank you for taking the time to review The Grill at Flemings Mayfair. We truly value the opinions of our customers and we apologise that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion.
At the Flemings, we do pride ourselves on getting the experience right for our guests from the moment they walk into our establishment, hence my disappointment that this has occurred on the last occasion you have visited us.
If you come back to our restaurant I would love to have the opportunity to speak with you directly, so please ask for me. We hope to see you again in the future and wish you the very best.

“"Good times"”
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Flemings in my opinion is a top draw resteraunt ,superb food ,and excellent service.if you are going out in the west end and want a relaxing meal before hitting Ronnie scotts like I do , it's a must. And I'll tell you something Go there enjoy the food it's a fantastic place and then hit the west end. "Good times".

Visited July 2014
Moses S, Manager at The Grill at Flemings Mayfair, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your brilliant review of your dinning experience at The Grill at Flemings Mayfair Hotel.

We look forward to you joining us again in the near future.

Kind regards,

Potters Bar, Hertfordshire
“A real treat”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

What a lovely friendly place!! The staff were all very attentive, without being "in your face". The menu was lovely and so took ages to decide! The food was expertly cooked and beautifully presented. Expensive without a voucher, or we would go once a month!!

• Visited July 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for the great review of The Grill at Flemings Mayfair hotel. Providing our guests with the best possible hospitality and service has always been our mission and I am thrilled to hear that your recent vist was an enjoyable one.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we do hope you will visit the Flemings again in the future