“Not bad, but not great”

Ranked #469 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Skipton, United Kingdom
“Not bad, but not great”
Reviewed 24 February 2014

I stayed here recently for a night on business. The location is pretty good being right next to Euston station. The room (411) I think was a disabled room, was oddly laid out. 60% bedroom 40% bathroom. So the double bed hardly fit, but you could do a dance in the bathroom. Odd layout, and not the best you can get in the area for the price.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Stockton, California
Reviewed 24 February 2014

The lobby carpet and couches were shabby and spotted. That should have been a good indicator of the room maintenance. The rooms were small, but to be expected in London. The carpet in the room was spotted. I always kept my socks on. There were smudges on the white walls. Although there was a clear “no smoking” sign on the desk, the previous occupant clearly smoked. The pillows reeked of it. The room also had a strange odor. It reminded me of kitty litter, although I never found the source of the smell. I was directly over the neighboring restaurants exhaust, which periodically spewed unpleasant odors into my room. When checking in, I was told there was complimentary water in the room. Indeed, there was an unsealed bottle of water. When I examined the bottle, there was a clear milky build up around the rim. It is clear that they consistently fill up the same bottle of water. I also noticed when the housekeepers were cleaning rooms, there was no stock of water bottles with their supplies. Needless to say, I did not drink the complimentary water. While I had issues with the maintenance of the hotel, the housekeepers did a great job.

1 Thank Margie L

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

England
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Oh dear .... I've stayed here a few times in the last year and each time has seen a slight decline. Now I look back at my last review I remember the very positive experiences I used to have. For my last two visits there has been confusion with bookings and in the most recent I was given a very small "double" room with no windows and very noisy and ineffective air con. The bathrrom was apparently set up for someone with a disability but they would have to be very agile to reach the towels, toiletries, shower and toilet paper and if they travelled with a partner then one would have to clime over the other to get in and out of bed ...

At breakfast, a simple request for poached eggs on toast was met with "The toaster's over there. I'll get the eggs." So I second guessed (wrongly) when the eggs might arrive and made my own toast. The coffee is served in cafetieres but there is no sign of real coffee grounds. I could go on ....

The only thing that hasn't got worse is the location! Still very handy for many places.

1 Thank Concentric
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

I stay in London a couple if times a week with business and had never stayed here before.

I cannot tell you this has all the frills of a five star hotel but I will say this... It was spotlessly clean, the staff were excellent and prompt and the rooms were great. My room was quite small but the bed was so comfortable, much better that any at Jury's, Holiday Inn and that's great.

I had a beer in the bar and again nice and clean, prompt and offers excellent value.

If you are visiting from abroad then you will not find many better for the money and trust me I've stayed at a lot... The only negative and its a small one would be that its ten minutes or so to the nearest tube

However if you are in town, as I was on business and need a good bed and good value then this is excellent

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Hospitalitygav007
GM-Ambassadors, Director of Sales at Ambassadors Bloomsbury, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Thank you so much for your lovely comments and we do hope to see you again at the hotel on your next visit to London especially as we are just 3 minutes walk from Euston underground and 10 minutes from Kings Cross.
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 18 February 2014

The so called superior room was clean but really small with almost no wardrobe space. The bathroom looked fine but had a tiny sink. The floor got wet everytime you used it. I missed shelves to store toiletries as well. The bed was ok. A lot of noise from the street made it impossible to have the window open.

Room Tip: Chose another hotel
Reviewed 17 February 2014

we booked this hotel through late rooms for 2 nights , the rooms are small with no windows , it smelt of damp , when asked to change room they put us in an even smaller room and twice the smell . so we complained again and was told that the only other room was the first one we was given . the front desk staff are ok , as for the manager she needs to learn her job better , I wouldn't stay here again if I was paid ... what a disgrace

Room Tip: book another hotel
4 Thank Nik S
We are so sorry to hear about your disappointing experience at the hotel. Can you please contact us directly on sales@ambassadors.co.uk, thank you
Sutton
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We have just had a superb afternoon tea at the Ambassador, Bloomsbury. Our waiter was excellent, the service was very good and the food was nicely served and very tasty. The strawberries were delicious. Highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
We are delighted that you enjoyed out afternoon tea so much. All of our items are freshly made in house. We hope to see you again soon!