“An Xmas break in a well run establishment.”

Ambassadors Bloomsbury
Ranked #468 of 1,069 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“An Xmas break in a well run establishment.”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I stayed here at the end of last year, I was volunteering for Crisis at Christmas at a college up the road and needed a base.
Upon checking in I was met with reception ,maybe my *huge* afro took them aback, it happens at times;-) but after I began to speak about my new work out vibes and my volunteering and what not the girls on front desk were cool enough.
I was given a room on the second floor, if I am honest the bathroom was a little small in comparison to some other hotel bathrooms I have frequented however it was modern and extremely clean, spotless clean which is of course very good.
The actual room was a double, a decent size with mood lightening on either side of the bed, speaking of the bed.... truly something special.
Soft without being to soft, we all have our preferences, for me it was perfect.
I only needed the hotel room for somewhere to sleep as I was out in the day, I booked for four days.
I had to try out the gym, it is basement level, small with one of everything, but suitable for an intense hour of cardio, which is exactly what I enjoyed.
One of my highlights was a lovely man who works at this hotel who without any prompting from me opened up the gym door and handed me a towel.. well I was going for it on the treadmill;-)
He asked if I needed anything else which was thoughtful.
Room service was prompt, I ordered a burger with salad, a true meaty burger, not like the ones at a very well known fast food chain, hey I did use the gym while there;-)
The surrounding area is fine, due to it being xmas most of the food shops were closed, but there were a couple of local places open which I visited throughout my time.
On my last night I ended up listening to a cool traveller guy who was staying elsewhere beat-boxing(free style rapping) at the bus stop, being a curious type I stopped to listen, cue two hours later I was so sleepy had to bid him well and leave him, what a charming and funny man.
This is what I like about London you can end up swapping stories with an utter stranger with no agenda just to experience different folks from all walks of life.
Upon leaving Mr Beatbox I found the hotel doors firmly closed, it was early hours of the morning, however upon me showing my swipe card for my room I was invited in, phew.

Checking in was quick and easy as was checking out.

A hotel that is immaculate, incredibly clean and has a warm cosy feeling to it, and smiling staff, I would not hesitate to stay here again or to recommend.
9/10.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

The Hotel generally (public areas) was very nice, the staff, as you might expect were very helpful and friendly. The room however was just awful, we asked for an upstairs room (to be away from any traffic noise). We were put on the top floor in room 611 which has no windows you can see out of, they were difficult to open due to being stiff/stuck - you had to really pull on them and then they only opened a very small amount.

On top of this the mattress was just awful and had either seen better days or was just a cheap mattress, my wife and I found it difficult to sleep on it!

Then there was the 24 hour switching in and out of a nearby generator or compressor (mounted on the roof and very nearby) which also kept us awake, and I assume this affected other rooms in the vicinity also?

The room we were in (611) is set up for wheel chair users, which is fine of course, except we are 6' plus in height so the wash basin was way too low, wish we had been told all of this when we booked (through 'Superbreak') but we had no idea until we got there? and I presume because the room was set up for wheel chair users the bed was across the room for access by the expected user it was too much of a squeeze to get around the bed.

This is an expensive hotel, but compared to others we have stayed in over the years does not come up to scratch on room comfort - thank goodness the staff were so nice, other than that it was a weekend ruined for us (see above) and I can't think that we will be staying there again!!

Room Tip: Ask at the point of booking about the windows, bed type and room size
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

3 Thank Nick D
Reviewed 5 May 2014

hotel, really handy for kx and euston & bloomsbury - use it a lot; it's also better than other local chains, and staff always delightful. rooms quite small but def not *too small, and very stylishly furnished.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Reviewed 5 May 2014

This hotel is within walking distance of Euston, St Pancras and King's Cross stations (if your luggage is minimal or on wheels). Bloomsbury, British Museum, Covent Garden etc are in walking distance, thought the nearby Russell Square tube station is convenient. Some really good cafes in the alley next to the hotel are handy for breakfast. Nearby Marchmont Street has a host of eating places too. The rooms are all very modern and super-functional, despite the Victorian exterior of the building. Great bed, powerful shower, friendly and efficient staff. I can't really fault this place at all. I usually stay here when in London if the price is right. the room rates do seem to fluctuate quite a lot, though that is a feature of London hotels generally. a really good hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Booked afternoon tea at (Number 12) the restaurant of Ambassadors.
It's a very easy venue to find. The service was efficient and pleasant. Even more so when the head chef came out to greet us which added a personal touch! The restaurant was busy but not overly packed & service was up to scratch: always served with a smile.
The variety of sweet and savoury was a good amount. We all left fulfilled and satisfied.
Will definitely go back again. Good job

Room Tip: Try their Afternoon Tea
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Cleethorpes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2014

we stayed here on Monday 28th april for 1 night , on arrival I asked to pay for the room with cash , this was fine but they still needed a card on file for any extras or damage , I was happy with that as this is what most hotels do , but then I was asked to use the chip and pin and authorise £50 to leave my account , I asked why this was being done , and was told it was ok and wouldn't be taken , so I carried on , the next morning I felt a bit uneasy about it and checked my online banking , sure enough pending transaction of £50 , I went to the front desk and spoke to someone different , he told me it was for any damages and extras and as we had had none he said my money would go back in the same day , its now 1st may and my money has not come back, my bank Lloyds have been great, unlike the ambassadors Bloomsbury!!! since when does a hotel take £50 before you've had any extras , ive given 2 and poor rating for this alone , the room was fine, breakfast we didn't have as it was £40 for 2!! advise to anyone staying don't pay cah or if you do , don't give them your card as well , I wish I had argued this more.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rachel c

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I’ve stayed at this hotel twice recently both for just 1 night, in November 2013 and April 2014. It is my favourite hotel in London, with its prime location 3 minutes walk from Euston Train Station and a 10 minute walk to Oxford Street.

The hotel looks very stylish and modern from the outside and as soon as you walk into the hotel, the lobby area is clean, bright and spacious and the ladies on reception greet you with a smile. We ate in the hotel restaurant for breakfast on both occasions, which is on the right as soon as you walk into the hotel, and it was a very pleasurable experience. The full English breakfast and the continental buffet is very nice and worth the money. The restaurant staff is friendly and helpful.

We stayed in room 612, in 2014, and a room on the 5th floor in 2013 and both rooms were very modern with all the amenities and features that you would expect and need. The beds are comfortable, spacious bathrooms and nice little touches such as an iPod docking station and a Nespresso Coffee machine.

Overall, I feel that this hotel was perfect for both of our stays, one being for a concert at the 02 arena, and the other being a tourist/shopping trip. It’s within walking distance of the shopping areas, public transport, and attractions of London so if you’re a couple, family or business traveller, the Ambassadors Bloomsbury is a great hotel in a great, safe area.

Room Tip: 612 - very nice big room with shower and bath
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple