“Did I miss something?”

and 1 more site!
Berkeley Court
Ranked #1,031 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 23 August 2013

As a contributor to this site, you'd think I would review hotels on here prior to booking. This would be a smart move and that isn't always my forte. Maybe why I never win at chess.....

Anyway, after booking this last minute hotel after scoring a last minute ticket to a sold out concert, I them read the reviews. Its safe to say I was filled with pure dread. My policy of "its somewhere to sleep" kept me sane. However I was pleasantly surprised.

On approach, the hotel was covered in scaffolding. Not helping with the anxiety one bit. The hallway was pleasant enough I guess, looking slightly tired though. Check in was strictly at 3. Not ten to. 3! Hence the awkward 10 min wait with two other guests in the hall.

I was in room 113 on the middle level. Easy enough to find, but lots of narrow and steep steps to climb. Carrying luggage up them will be a bit of a nightmare and I did not see a lift anywhere, but I wasn't really looking for one either so that doesn't mean there isn't one. Rooms are key card activated, which also works the lights. For the slow ones amongst us (that being me), don't pan panic when you walk in and the lights don't work. I was presented with a double bed in one corner and a single bed in the other. Plenty of room for these too. I had a temperamental television that worked, all be it very slowly. After settling on Jeremy Kyle I gave up on it.

The bathroom was the worst bit, but not completely unbearable. The bath panels were dirty and had mould spying on you as you showered, not the end of the world. I took one look at the shower head and expected the mornings shower to be something like Chinese drip torture and that I would still be there a week later having finally got wet hair, however this was a powerful little gem. Mixer tap operated which is always good for a laugh when your half asleep. It will result in being burned awake or frozen awake. Regardless, at least your awake. One thing I must stress, put a towel down on the floor. That thing is LETHAL with wet feet!

The window is single glazed, and kept closed with a small hook. And that's it. With a scaffold going right past it, I did feel very dodgy whilst showing but needs must. It also put me on security alert, as a simple screwdriver would have unhooked it and anyone could have been in. Just bare this in mind when packing your valuables.

Check in was easy (at 3pm - remember that!), and check out just as easy at 10am.

All in all I think the bad reviews have not fallen on deaf ears with these guys. They are renovating and here is hoping it will lift the reputation on what has the potential to be a fantastic hotel in a great area of London.

In my usual tradition, I will walk you from the Tube to the hotel for your convenience. Marble Arch station is on the Central Line only and easy to change onto from most Central London locations. If arriving into Euston, board a Brixton bound Victoria line service and change at Oxford Circus to a Ealing Broadway service. Around a 10 - 12 min journey. Exit the station at Exit 3 with the staircase. Turn right around upon exit and walk towards the road where the entrance to the station is. Cross over to the side with the station and start walking left. Take your first left after the Cumberland Hotel onto Great Cumberland Street. Walk straight down for around 2 mins until you get to another left hand turn. Turn down here and cross the street and you will see the hotel about 4 buildings down.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank dave2564
There are newer reviews for Berkeley Court

Reviewed 18 August 2013

We booked online to stay at the Berkeley Court Hotel on our recent trip to London. There was scaffolding outside the building so we did expect some disruption but there is no excuse for dirty rooms. We were asked to pay the full amount on arrival, which was strange, but when we found our room the sheets and towels appeared clean we decided to stay. (We had little time for any changes since we had to get to an evening performance). How wrong we were! On return that night we found a used cotton bud on the window sill and a closer inspection revealed a less than clean en suite shower room, and a pile of rubbish outside the ground floor window that didn’t open. The shower room light was broken and the only clothes hook was made out of a coat-hanger. However next morning there was no one in reception to complain to. We both have experienced flea bites. This is very much Gordon Ramsey's hotel from Hell!

Room Tip: Just stay away! It was disgusting
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 August 2013

I stayed at this hotel for one night. The staff were not at all friendly and did not seem at all enthusiastic about their work which planted the seeds to what was an awful stay. The 'room' was a complete mess with the 'TV' hardly operational, looking so fragile against the wall that we feared that it may fall onto us as we slept during the night. On the website it describes a 'bar' and 'resturant' area which does not even exist. Quite frankly i'm happy that they did not serve food because if it was anything like the rooms, i wouldn't like a trip to hospital spoil my one night stay in London. The 'room' was very very dirty. There were stains on the bedding which was just vile. The walls are very thin in the hotel and as a result you can hear other rooms, even to the extent of hearing peoples conversations. The bathroom facilities were dire. The shower was very dirty and the toilet too. In one of the bathrooms there was a door which was left wide open which meant that everybody staying on that particular side of the hotel could watch you as you showered. In our friends 'room' they kept some of their stock which clustered the room. They had a thousands of leaflets which we decided to draw a massive penis on the floor with, which the hotel staff did not find funny when they came into our room. That was the best moment of what was an awful stay in the hotel. The only reason i had a good nights sleep is because we had drunken so much alcohol before going to bed. The bed was not comfortable when sober. There is also no swimming pool. DO NOT STAY HERE! IT IS TERRIBLE! DO NOT WASTE YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 July 2013

The worst hotel I've ever stayed in. I know it was a budget hotel.... but this place really pushes the boundaries....

Ok from the outside. At reception, the receptionist was very hesitant as to whether he could allow a check in ten minutes before the designated, even though the room was as ready as it ever was going to be..... Very damp room, foul smelling, mould growing freely on most walls. At least breakfast wasn't provided, or I might not have been able to write this review!

Caveat emptor!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 July 2013

This budget hotel was disgusting, years worth of dirt on doors etc. The bathroom door didnt shut, the room actually slopped to the right slightly. The bathroom sink was blocked so the water drained away very slowly. The beds were like sleeping on hard springs. The worst thing of all was the smell of mould which was all over the walls and in the bathroom..

Room Tip: just dont go there!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank RFDR
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We booked this room through Budget.rooms.com. This company is in Spain, When we arrived
told our room was not available, given the strorage room in the basement. The room we booked supposed to have en-suite, and other facilties all were not there.
The room was dirty, we had to use a washroom on the next floor, the washroom sink was blocked, the shower only had cold water. There was rat poison open in the hall, was not allowed to pay by credit card only wanted cash. There was mould on the ceiling, wall lights were broken. You could have electrocuted yourself on them. The reason we stayed is because it was 16.45 on a Saturday afternoon, and was too late to look for anywhere else,and my partner was recovering from a stroke. That is why we were in London as a suprise for him.
Complained to Budget rooms, they do not to know anything about it., and they are still advertising this hotel on their website even though they have received a large number of complaints. WE have put this compliant to the city of Westminster enviironment agency , they have said they cannot control the cleanlyness and conditions of the hotel and have noit investigatged my complaint but have taken the word of the hotel owners.. City of Westminster trading standards said "as long as they have one room meeting their advertisment they are breaking advertisment rules"

Room Tip: Investigate this hotel with trip adviser before you book this hotel
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 June 2013

Smelly, dirty flea-pit of a 'hotel'. Insisted on full payment and then refused a refund when confronted with a very long list of complaints, including no bedding, stains on matress and carpets, disgusting smell, filthy bathroom, tv cellotaped onto the tv stand, surfaces covered in dust. . . the list goes on. The receptionist was rude and confrontational when the complaints were made and refused to provide the name/contact number of the manager. Walked out and currently being treated like a VIP elsewhere. Took photos to evidence and will seek legal advice.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple