“great location, good hotel”
Review of The Cumberland

The Cumberland
Ranked #389 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Turkey
“great location, good hotel”
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

I was booked the Cumberland for a business trip and enjoyed my stay there as it was practically next door to Oxford Street with easy access to the tube and also nearby parks. There is another building belonging to the hotel where I stayed which I believed would be a bit more on the quiet side (connects to the main building with a long corridor from the bottom floor). Room was comfortable and spacious, with such amenities like a Nespresso machine and complimentary tea and coffee and bottled water. Only peculiarity was the difference in the cost for the breakfast if you happened to just walk in to the dining hall or get your breakfast coupon from the reception beforehand (hint: get it beforehand!).
Overall I was satisfied with my stay at the Cumberland.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Magali P, General Manager at The Cumberland, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent visit to The Cumberland Hotel.

I am gald that you enjoyed your stay with us , and that you were able to take advantage of our most convenient of locations minutes from the tube station and Oxford Street with all of its shops and restaurants.

I do hope that we shall have the pleasure to welcome you back to The Cumberland Hotel soon.

The Cumberland Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,067)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I have stayed here for 5 nights( 5th June 2014 TO 10th June 2014 ) with my family and have had a very enjoyable experience. Beginning with its location, the hotel is extremely well located with a mix of heritage and urban surrounding. It is built exactly opposite marble arch and nearby to the buckingdom palace. It is in located in the most famous street of london,the oxford street. So in its vicinity one can find evrything from shopping malls to indian restraunt.
The hotel is at a very close distance (Almost next door) with the underground station as well as the hop in-hop off bus stop. The hotel is very big and rooms are very nicely lite up. The hotel is completly busy and thats why the service is a little slow but the staff members are very helpful and courtous. The breakfast hall is amazing with a varitey of items.
Over all the hotel is very nice and i highly recommend

Room Tip: Avoid rooms looking inside courtyard.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank GMJilani
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for choosing The Cumberland Hotel and for providing us with feedback on your recent visit to London.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us , and that you were able to take advantage of our most convenient of locations minutes from the tube station and Oxford Street with all of its shops and restaurants.

I do hope that we shall have the pleasure to welcome you back to The Cumberland Hotel on your next visit

Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Went there a few times back in 2001.
Great service and a good hotel for a business trip.
Central. Excellent view over Hyde Park and Marble Arch.
Good room service.
Not an exclusive or luxurious hotel but a great hotel for a visit to London, whether in business or vacations. Probably the best location in London.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you very for your feedback on your past stays at The Cumberland Hotel.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the hotel at the time, and that you were able to take advantage of our most convenient of locations minutes from the tube station and Oxford Street with all of its shops and restaurants.

I would suggest that you come back as we have had important changes in 2004 and since then. It has been totally transformed.

Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed 13th June with my husband to celebrate his birthday. We only booked really for a place to rest our head as we were going to a concert in islington but I am so glad we stayed here. We slept soundly beds were very comfortable we had a good view of marble arch and although on a busy road I did not hear a thing. Very good blackout curtains. Rooms very were clean and the cheeky towel elephant is a cute touch. Handy mini fridge and tea/ coffee provided. T.v worked. Very close to all the shops in a real prime location. Breakfast was lovely and staff were attentive to my dietary requirements. My only complaint is some foreign guests are very rude and do not let you get out of the lift as they are pushing in your face to get in which made me feel intimidated however staff witnessing this seemed to be happy for this behaviour to happen. There is really no need as there are 6 lifts all big and wrk quickly. As for price I booked through secret hotels I knew it was the Cumberland from the small details given and booked it for £125 with two breakfasts. Although all good I would not pay the full £300 per night to stay. Would go again for a good price of under 160 inc breakfast.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Foxbaker
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you very much for your feedback on your recent stay at The Cumberland Hotel.

I'm delighted that you had a great time and that you enjoyed the equipment in the rooms and as a result you had a good night sleep.

Our breakfast offers a wide choice of everything and does suit all requirements I'm glad you agree with me. It is a great start for the day.

I'm sorry to read that some of our guests were not very polite to you. There is definately enough lifts and space to make everyone happy.

We do hope that you will return soon.

Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

Great location, and although it is a massive hotel it is run smoothly. Room service was good with plenty of options. Breakfast was abundant with options and what I had was good.

The room was clean and freshly decorated and the bed was comfy. A small issue with bill back on check in but it was dealt with quickly by staff.

Left my bag with hotel prior to check in

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Since deciding to semi retire, after years of working in London my wife and other family memebers have enjoyed weekend trips to \London for a number of special occasions and this we did on weekend of 14thJune. I as, always, looked for a good hotel close to a special restaurant we wanted to visit and The Cumberland fiuttyed the bill being a few min=utes walk away.
I booked on line and paid fully for the two rooms.
we arrived and stored luggage with very helpful concierge and went to the National portrait gallery returning to check in at about 5.00pm.
Then began the fun!
The check in was awful! The young man was unpleasant and was an un- monitored trainee.He could not find the reservation at first and told me there wasn't one. He had my fully affirmed documents with all details before him.
Then he assured me and my brother that there was only one room... Played some more and confirmed that there were two rooms but I had to pay! (I had checked my statements so knew well that all was paid and the printout affirmed this clearly! ) He argued the point demanded(no less) the card took a second payment, THEN found the payment, and got rid of us as quickly as he could! On going to the rooms on the 8th floor it seemed pleasant enough EXCEPT we had one lovely double room which was acceptable and one which was clearly an adapted single with a double bed thrust against a wall necessitating a climb to access the bed for whoever slept on wall side.(try that with a v bad knee and arthritis!)
I went to reception and was kindly helped by the Guest relations staff member on duty who dutifully change the room, apologized and off I went. We received a bottle of wine in compensation BUT note, there was no shower curtain in place so water went all over the floor, the safe would not work whatever codes we got from reception and the delay in having staff attend was so long we had to decline any help because we would have been late for our supper appointment! WE only later discovered that the friendly(not!) clerk at reception had made no mention of deposits to work TV and stock bar etc etc!!! IS it policy to leave trainee staff without a good supervisor?? I have traveled to 41 countries and stayed in many hotels over the years and never had such a poor reception even in seemingly less developed places.
The hotel breakfast was pleasant and well prepared apart from stewed tea and a very hot room!
The hotel staff apart from the check in clerk was pleasant and helpful but we will probably not make use of the venue again as fortunately there are many good hotels in the area.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Reviewer,

I'm sorry for the shortfalls you experienced whilst being at reception upon check in.

I have shared your comments with the whole team and my Front of House Manager would like to send his sinceres apologies for all inconvenience caused.

Please do let me know in advance should you return to London and I will be happy to organise any preferred rate for you and oversea your requirements.

Skipton
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at The Cumberland for a weekend. The hotel is in a great location 1 minute walk from Marble Arch underground station. The hotel is huge very busy but we requested a quiet room and 7026 was perfect in that respect. The only issue was the room was very small but it was functional. The bathroom was also small but we were given a choice of a walk in shower or a bath this was unusual but welcome.
Reception staff were all efficient but we did report a problem with our sink and bath as even when the plug was in place water drained away. This was never fixed during our stay.
Breakfast was very good. Full English or continental something to suit all tastes.
Overall the hotel was very good and we would return when visiting London.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you very much for your feedback on your recent visit at The Cumberland Hotel.

I'm glad to read that you are were averall very satisfied with your stay.

I'm also delighted that our staff did help as much as possible however please accept our apologies if some of your issues were not all resolved as quickly as expected.

I hope that this has not marred your stay and that we will soon see you again at the hotel.