“Great location”
Review of The Cumberland

The Cumberland
Ranked #443 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

This hotel I could not fault, from the friendly staff, clean rooms, and lovely breakfast . This hotel is a great base for shopping and tourists looking to do the sites. We got this hotel on hotel direct as a hidden gem and priced very reasonable would stay again.

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank cathIreland
MeskeremA, General Manager at The Cumberland, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Dear Reviewer,

We appreciate your fantastic comments and your time to post them publicly. As you mentioned our hotel has an excellent location and it is really a unique feature that all our guests enjoy for different reasons, like the ones you kindly mentioned. I am most delighted to read that our staff provided wonderful service, which was the finishing touch. We pride ourselves on our service standards, but it is still a joy to hear when we have got it right.

Please do not hesitate to contact us should you require assistance for your next visit and I will ensure that you have another wonderful experience at The Cumberland Hotel.

Ian L Peck

Write a ReviewReviews (6,276)

Reviewed 23 August 2014

We were very disappointed with this hotel. Considering the price, we were expecting it to be at least as good as the Park Royal Westminster Bridge (which we love), but it wasn't (and there were unexpected add-on-charges that blew the cost out considerably).

The public areas were trendy and impressive but our room was a bit ordinary for the price. The bed was not all that comfortable and we did not sleep well.

The reception staff were not always friendly or helpful - their demeanour was generally somewhat detached - as if they really didn't care whether you had a good stay or not - so long as they had processed you successfully and quickly. The check-in process was prolonged, messy and inconsistent with the booking arrangements (beware of extra charges not made clear when booking).

The porter staff were much nicer and more helpful.

This was not a relaxing stay and we wont be staying at this hotel in the future.

Room Tip: Consider booking a different hotel to get a more comfortable bed, nicer service and better value for...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Anne P

Dear Reviewer,

First of all I would like to apologize for not meeting your expectations with respect to your recent stay. It disappoints me to hear comments like this, after the time, efforts and expense that we have invested in our people and property. I sincerely hope that you would give us another chance to serve you, and I can assure you that we are continuing to work harder to give our guests a great hospitality experience each and every time.

Reviewed 23 August 2014

Stayed here for three night in August 2014. The hotel is right on Hyde Park and right next to Marble Arch Tube station. So this is great location from which to explore London. The area itself is an predominantly Arabic neighborhood. So, if hookah cafes are youre thing...this place is for you. That vibe is also consistent within the hotel itself.

Staff at check-in was friendly and professional. Room was fine. Working AC, clean. Nothing fancy. Small... but pretty typically English in size.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Chris K

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review of our hotel. We are very fortunate to have such a good location in central London. Your praise of the hotel has been communicated to all involved and I am glad you had such a lovely time.

I certainly hope that it will not be long until your next visit to The Cumberland Hotel.

Reviewed 23 August 2014

I stay there every year or every time I am in London with my family. This year experience was a bit disappointing. The last few years we choose to stay in executive rooms, they are bigger rooms with a view with an access to the executive lounge. This year we felt that the executive lounge service and quality was reduced drastically to cut down their cost.They reduced the service time at night until 8 PM and the only time I would use the lounge apart from breakfast is after 8 PM. The lounge is way under staffed, you have to wait for ages for refills at breakfast and ages to clean the tables, whereas they are very quick in removing your plate even if you haven't finished yet and just went to get something from the buffet, the quality and variety is kept to a minimum, one morning the bread was stale, another I found green onions in the Muesli that apparently went in by mistake. The glasses always smelled like eggs and they told me it must be the detergent they use. We tried he the Carvery restaurant on a Sunday for lunch, although the food was good if you get it warm as the service was very slow since it is the same person who does the carving and brings the food to the table also serves at the buffet, the hostess was very rude as we asked her to change the table to another one as the place was half empty, but she said that these tables are booked 3 months in advance (as if) and she can't change the table; we finished eating an hour later and no one showed up. I have to say that both the waiter and the guy at the Carvery were friendly. As a mater of fact all the staff at the reception and concierge are friendly and helpful. The gym still needs a major update.
One last thing, you have to inform front desk in details of your health condition, as the fire alarm went off and my mother who had a knee replacement surgery 3 months earlier has to go down the stairs from the 7th floor as we couldn't contact anyone and no one was around to help when everyone started to rush down.
I always liked this hotel but I have to seek other options next time especially at the high rate we got for the rooms, much higher than last year with lower quality.

Room Tip: I got used to the size and quality of the executive rooms, but the price is much higher.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank iksweiss

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on your recent stay.

I am sorry for the shortfalls you experienced with our service at The Cumberland Hotel, all feedback given to us by our guests is passed on to my team on a daily basis.

We do appreciate our guests feedback and take the necessary measures to rectify incidents that occur once notified of them.

I understand your disappointment and I am taking your comments into consideration. Please accept our sincere apologies for the disappointments that you experienced with us.

With kind regards,

stayed 3 nights in Feb 2014

- long lines to breakfast
- smaill room (at least mine)
- permanent problems with wifi connection (BB 9900), it blocked my phone, had to remove battery

- good location, just over the tube station
- clean room
- helpful Staff
- decent breakfasts

Room Tip: Oxford street just around the corner.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank J D
MeskeremA, General Manager at The Cumberland, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Good day and thank you for taking the time to post a review with regards to your recent stay with us.

One of our most important tasks is to learn directly from our guests about their experience at the Cumberland hotel. Our goal is to provide the highest quality of friendly and courteous service and ensure a consistent standard of excellence throughout our facility.

It is regrettable to learn that you did experience some issues on this particular visit, especially with regards to the internet connection in your room and the long waiting for breakfast. I can certainly understand your frustration in this regards and would like to personally apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. Clearly these are not the service levels we pride ourselves on.

Ensuring that all of our guests have a most enjoyable stay is in all of our interest and I again thank you for bringing your comments to my attention.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

Stayed here on a 3 day business trip.

Good: Lovely central location, great entrance, modern rooms etc.

Bad: Shocking views out of the window, non-existent wifi, & the bad breakfast service. The room felt pretty depressing with the poor views of air conditioning units.

Breakfast was a job, some days the queue 'to be seated' was so long you would be queuing forever. One day I was going to be late for work, so went to reception and cancelled breakfast. Now this is not due to lack of seating, this is due to poor organisation and bad customer service. One day I asked the lady why I needed to wait to be seated? She came up with all sorts or rubbish which would insult any intelligent person. She claimed there wasn't enough seating and if left to our own devices we would all start fighting??? Because that's what everyone in Britain does right??? She was just rude. Check out the breakfast picture - there were plenty of seats - and there really is no reason to queue in the morning.

I also found it annoying that I couldn't use the staircase which is staff access only. So I had to get the lift for 1 floor - rather annoying.

I haven't returned to this hotel, and I'm not sure if I would?

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank MaldivesDreamer

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your honest and constructive review. I really appreciate your comments, because it is through these reviews that we can meet our challenges head on.

I will personally look into the issues that you have outlined above and meet with our Food & Beverage Director and reinforce our Hotel policies that centre on 'positive guest satisfaction'. I would like to apologize for the Inconvenience your encountered with our service.

I would invite you to give us another chance to show you a true hospitality. Please call me directly on 0207 706 1060.

With kind regards,

Reviewed 21 August 2014

The hotel is ideal situated for a quick stop over/lay over in London . The rooms are modern and nice size for London. The hotel was clean but we saw towels on the corridor left from the night before up until breakfast time . The service is slack. If u in London for a day or layover this hotel serves just that perpose. Modern fresh design and a good four star. It provides what one requires but don't expect good service. Eat breakfast at the many café's situated around the hotel. The hotel enterance is more like a railway station stay rather at the extension section of the hotel

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Shube1

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for giving us your valuable feedback on Tripadvisor.

I am truly delighted to hear that the Hotel's central location perfectly suited your requirement.