“Perfect Location and polished public areas but old and tired rooms”
Review of The Cumberland

The Cumberland
Ranked #389 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Frankfurt
“Perfect Location and polished public areas but old and tired rooms”
Reviewed 1 February 2010

We were happy to get a 4 star hotel with a de luxe room in such great location (right at the top of Oxford Street and literally around the corner from Marble Arch tube station) for such a reasonable rate.

On arrival we were impressed with the concierge who whipped our luggage to storage as soon as we entered the lobby, as well as the fact that although it was only 1030am our room was ready! We checked in mentioning to the receptionist that we had booked a "de luxe twin" to which his remark was that the hotel only had de luxe rooms. Ok....so that was a good sign, right?
ermmm.....not quite.
As we took the lift up to the first floor we left behind the ultra modern lobby and entered a corridor which looked old, tired and a bit of a maze to say the least. Eventually we found our room which was right at the end of the corridor. And it was small! Ok, so anybody who knows London hotels knows that often the rooms are really not big enough to swing a cat so we were not overly concerned about the size. The room was clean and actually had everything that you would expect but it was BASIC - never in the million years was it "de lux"
And it was FREEZING!
We put the heating on full blast and hit the shops. We were gone for the next 7 hours and as we arrived back we expected to find the room warm. Not so. The heaters were still blowing out cold air.
Having phoned the front desk twice they called back to say that maintenance could not repair the heating so they would move us to a different room.
This one was warm and much bigger and once again clean and tidy (but equally nowhere near "de luxe") It was however right on top of the night club and incredibly noisy unti the early hours in the morning.

The beds were COMFORTABLE and had lovely fluffy QUILTS and not horrid blankets...

In the morning we noted that there were portable radiators all over the corridors and were amazed to see portable heaters in the breakfast room.... The hotel appears to have serious issues with heating...

The breakfast was nice (if it is included int he price, otherwise not worth the £22 they would charge normally - or £17 for continental...)

Would I stay here again? If the price was right then yes, definately. The location and the staff friendliness made up for the faults. It is still a nice hotel in a perfect location - just don't expect "de luxe"

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
Guoman_Management, Manager at The Cumberland, responded to this review, 19 February 2010
Many thanks for your review on your recent stay with us at The Cumberland. It is always good receiving constructive feedback & I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am sorry to hear you were not completely satisfied with your room, I am glad we could assist in moving you to a new room and apologise for the inconvenience this may have caused, the issues regarding the heating are being addressed. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Cumberland in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,067)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
New York
Reviewed 30 January 2010

Was very surprised about this hotel. Very cool/ hip and modern. I felt like i was in Zoolander. Very Happy with this hotel. There beds are like sleeping on a cloud, so soft ,1st day got there slept all day and night cause I was so comfortable and in pure happiness. Its so close to all the high end shopping and tube stops. Views are great from the rooms,Staff was great, and the food at there restaurant was amazing, ate there a few night a lil pricey but worth it.

• Stayed April 2007
Exeter
Reviewed 29 January 2010

Lobby is impressive but very cold! Everything is marble/stone so there is no sense of warmth.
We had to ask to move rooms as there was a cold draft coming from the window.
Staff were brilliant and dealt with our request fast.
Food in the lobby restaurant was lovely however shame about the breakfast area, it again was cold and not at all welcoming.

Not a total disaster but couldnt say id stay there agan. You pay for location not quality im afraid!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Hong Kong
Reviewed 25 January 2010

i stayed at Cumberland for 2 nights, it is a very nice hotel, big and beautiful lobby, amazing lighting effect. the room is clean and size is ok.
It located next to the tube station, and at Oxford street, good for shoping.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Orange County, CA
Reviewed 25 January 2010

What I liked about this hotel:

1. The location is great. Central/West London, next to great shopping and restaurants, near the Marble Arch and Hyde Park.

2. The doorman was hot, polite, friendly and helpful.

3. The lobby is cool, modern and hip in that European-chic kind of way.

4. The room was clean and comfortable.

What I did not like about this hotel:

1. The staff messed up my reservation big time. Upon check-in, I was told by an unfriendly and apathetic Eastern European front desk girl that they could not find my reservation (which was prepaid) but they let me have a room anyways, for which they tried to put a hold on my credit card for the entire stay, at a different rate of course. Further investigation with another staff member ensued. This one was supposed to be higher up on the food chain than the previous employee, but she couldn't find my reservation either and asked for proof that it had been confirmed. I reserved and prepaid online, the funds came out of my account the month before my trip. This was literally a 2.5-hour ordeal of discussion then trying to find a working computer, an internet connection, and a printer that worked in their piddly and pathetic conference room. Finally I get proof of my prepaid reservation and the best they could offer as compensation was a free breakfast at the hotel's restaurant... but then I had to come back and speak to this rep again before I wanted to eat there in order to get some kind of voucher.

Seriously, booking hotel reservations online is not rocket science. You'd figure that a supposed 4-star Guoman hotel would have it figured out by now.

2. The room's bathroom is poorly designed. Brits love their baths, and whoever designed this bathroom has obviously never had a shower in their life. First, it is elevated off the floor (so you have to step up and into it), is surrounded by glass walls and has a glass door that does not close fully, nor does it (or the walls) have a proper seal. So guess what -- after you have a shower, there is water all over the floor of the bathroom and of course there is no secondary drain. At least they provide extra towels so you can mop up the mess. Secondly, the shower is a long rectangle with the showerhead at the opposite end of where you enter. You have to turn the shower on basically standing right in its path, unless you are small enough to squeeze yourself against the wall to avoid the ice-cold startup spray. Not fun. Anybody who's ever had a shower before would know not to design it this way!

3. The lighting and placement of electrical sockets was poor throughout the entire room. For women doing their hair and makeup, good lighting is absolutely necessary and the ability to plug in a hair dryer near a properly-lit mirror is also very important. I essentially had to do my hair and makeup sitting on the floor in the dimly-lit corridor of the room, because the bathroom was not equipped for this. Again, this basic stuff is not rocket science!

4. The hotel's corridors were a dimly-lit maze and the room numbering did not seem to make any sense. I had to come up with a pneumonic device in order to find my room then find my way out.

5. In general, the staff were unkind, apathetic and had this air of entitlement. One of the concierge guys brought my suitcase up (and not really in good time either) then promptly stuck his hand out for a tip. Classy. The only nice employees I encountered were the doorman and the young man who helped me check out.

6. No free wi-fi, and the signal is poor.

I wouldn't stay here again. There are other hotels in the area that are better.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo
strawberry_lipstick
Reviewed 23 January 2010

My partner and I traveled to London last week for my birthday and decided to stay in The Cumberland mainly for where it was situated. It is right across the road from the Marble Arch on Oxford Street which was perfect as all we were planning to do was eat, shop and see a show.

I arrived alone about 1pm and was asked for a credit card. I don't have a credit card, only a debit card and was told that without this I wasn't able to have my room card. My boyfriend wasn't arriving until 7pm. The lady at reception suggested I leave my case and check in at night time or pay in full for the room. Considering it was being paid for as part of my birthday I wasn't too keen to do so but if not I'd have no where to change or settle in after traveling in the early hours of the morning.

We did not eat in the hotel on either night. We asked where to find a nice indian restaurant on the first night and found heaven on earth right around the corner. I'm not the biggest indian fan but I would fly back to London just now to go back to this restaurant. The menu, service, food quality and choice was amazing. The only thing I ordered within the hotel was a coke with was £3.50. Just a glass of coke, not out of a bottle or anything special and in the smallest glass I've ever seen.

Our room was modern and unlike some other people I wasn't expecting a fantastic view because well, it's the centre of London but the room was very small. The bed was barely a double bed and right against the wall. The room although small was clean and the bathroom wasn't too bad either.

For what we received we paid a lot of money. If it wasn't for the location I feel as though I wouldn't have any good points to say about this hotel.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
blockbuster
Reviewed 22 January 2010

Where do I start with this one? Firstly I have stayed at The Cumberland on several occaisions and the only reason I return is due to it's location, 10 second stroll from Marble Arch tube station. The reception at the hotel have never acknowledged me as a frequent guest unlike in The Mandarin Oriental hotels where yu are immediately ackowledged and always greeted "Welcome back".

I have to agree with other reviews and say that the reception staff are utterly useless. First time I stayed I was charged for 2 breakfasts that we never had. Another time I was charged for 3 rooms rather than 1 and after being told by the recpetionist that "it is all taken care of and there will be no charge" I still had to raise a dispute with my credit card company in order to gain a refund. When I checked out yesterday (21-01-10) I was told that there was an additional fee of £6-87 even though I had paid via advanced purchase. I queried this outstanding amount and was told that it was due to Tax increase in London!!! I duly informed the 2 receptionists that this Tax increase was for the whole UK and that I had paid my for my room in full on the 22nd of December which included VAT @ 15%. After a short debate they decided to delete this outstanding amount but never even apologised. Think I may just stay in the Thistle Hotel along the road in future unless anyone can recommend a nice 4*+ hotel within throwing distance of a tube station?

My advice is to avoid The Cumberland but if you must stay there then check your credit cards for any unexpected charges.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business