“Wow factor lobby but the rest didn't meet up”
Review of The Cumberland

The Cumberland
Ranked #401 of 1,068 Hotels in London
“Wow factor lobby but the rest didn't meet up”
Reviewed 21 February 2010

The hotel sets your expectations high when you arrive in the lobby with it's 'wow' factor.Unfortunately the check-in soon dashed this - over 20 minutes queue then they couldn't find my reservation despite me presenting my confirmation. Maze of corridors,room ok but bathroom squashed and not as clean as it should have been. Bar area nice. Breakfast good but restaurant not easy to find and few staff around to help. Overall found this hotel too clinical -trying to be ultra contemporary but it's cold and souless particularly for the price. That said it's very well located.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,095)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 18 February 2010

when I was in london with my family the hotel rooms were large and airy, and the food was great

Stayed August 2007
Guoman_Management, Management at The Cumberland, responded to this review, 24 February 2010
Many thanks for taking the time to share your experience at The Cumberland – glad to hear you were happy with the hotel and food.
York
Reviewed 17 February 2010

I have stayed at the Cumberland many times for business and sometimes pleasure. It should be a great hotel but it is such a lottery.

Get a quality, 'inside' room and the right staff and you will think it is one of the coolest places to stay. Get an 'outside' room and a lower floor on the wrong day and you will think you have arrived in hotel hell.

We stayed there for Valentine's Day and I booked a Luxury King with a bottle of white wine - it took three calls to the front desk and an hour to get the wine actually delivered (by which time we were already going out). When we returned to the room there was no heating (a regular occurrence it would seem) and it took two calls to the front desk and 45 minutes waiting to get a heater delivered that didn't actually work either. A bit of a romance killer on Valentine's night.

We tried two other rooms the following day, one had heating but was small and noisy, the other was lovely but the heating didn't work in that room either.

Staff are either useless and badly trained or good and empathetic. Such a mix.

Cool lobby though (as in cool design, freezing temperature).

1 Thank YorkTrout
Many thanks for sharing your feedback. I am pleased that on some occasions you have enjoyed your stay with us, however I am disappointed to hear that you were not completely satisfied with your stay on Valentines Day. I will pass your comments on to the room service manager about the wait for the bottle of wine and the maintenance manager about delivering a heater that didn’t work. Please accept my sincere apologies; I do hope you return to stay with us in the future.
Hartley Wintney, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 February 2010

Check -in to the hotel is very quick and the foyer of the hotel is truely amazing. The ground floor consists of modern blue neon lights with 3 bars and restaurants. After checking in to the hotel and finding our room, a member of staff just walked into the room. Initally he apoloized and then just carried on with his business (cleaning the iron) He didnt make converation and left shortly after an aqward 10 mins. All well and good, until the next morning. We had placed a 'do not disturb' on our door, and in the morning about 9am there was a knock. Now havent not requested for anything I thought it was just somebody messing about. After 2 knocks a lady just walked in as I was putting my jeans on, a placed towels on a cupboard. Then I got back into bed, and she walked back in and picked up the towels and walked straight back out, without saying a single word! Apart from certain members of staff was a excellent place to stay and would definatly visit again.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Guoman_Management, Manager at The Cumberland, responded to this review, 19 February 2010
Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am pleased you were impressed with the hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future. I apologise for the two interruptions, I am sorry to hear about the service you received from these two members of staff. I will be sure to pass on your comments to the head housekeeper to ensure that the matter is dealt with. Please accept my sincere apologies and thank you again for your review.
uk
Reviewed 14 February 2010

They spent all the money on the reception area,rather than the rooms. Have stayed 6 nights there this year. Rooms cramped & often noisy.Service very patchy.
Worst recent experience- I used the room phone to call a FREEPHONE conference line with work (the hotel line is not charged for these calls) I was then presented with a £80 bill for this call?!!! When challenged was advised that is is clearly displayed in the room ( which its isn't)
Either way is a complete rip off & profiteering to charge high rates for free calls. Better hotels around & deffo much better service.Careful they don't charge you extra for flushing the toilet too.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
Thank you for your recent feedback regarding your stay with us at the Cumberland. Firstly I am sorry you felt the room was small and noisy, and the service you received was not up to your expectations, it is not the experience we want our guests to receive. Regarding the telephone bill, I can assure you that all of your comments will be passed to the hotel management to rectify issues wherever possible, we have to employ switchboard operators which have a cost associated, which is why we charge for facilities that otherwise at home would be free. We take on board all customer feedback & will strive to improve all areas of our business through your comments.
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 7 February 2010

If it is all you can afford it will do. It won't rock you world, it is modern with everything looking failry new. The room furniture looks like it is from IKEA. The rooms and bathroom are small. The house bar, Carbon, is very cool.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 February 2010

Stayed on two seperate weeks on business. Foyer is big and impressive, unfortunately the same cannot be said of some of the employees on the front desk. Many seem to be of Eastern European descent, limited English skills, and they do not appear to be familiar with the computer system. Consequently you can expect to wait up to 20 minutes tro check-in, as I did on both occasions.

I was also told that there were no non-smoking rooms left. However, my colleague who was on the same booking but arrived at the desk 10 minutes later was given a non-smoking room. When I queried this I was told that the second receptionist was faster !

Agree with previous comments that the corridors are a maze and the heating in my room didn't work. Overall I gues it is OK and is right on Oxfoed Street for thise who want to shop.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
Many thanks for sharing your feedback. I am sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with the check in process and the service received from reception, I will be sure to pass on your comments to the front office manager to reiterate to our staff the importance of first impressions and customer service.