“Ikea look alike furniture - an old hotel with a poor attempt to modernise bedrooms”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of The Cumberland

The Cumberland
Ranked #382 of 1,089 Hotels in London
wales
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2010

I have always wanted to stay at the Cumberland and so after a stressful few months I organised a long weekend away with my partner. We were very impressed with the foyer - very modern and chic with a gary rhodes restaurant adjacent to it. I had purchased an excellent deal on last minute.com and was aware this hotel is normally around £300/night. We were able to chose our room on the basis of smoking/nonsmoking, bath/shower, double/twin. We had caught an early morning train and the hotel kindly let us check in early. We were a given a 7th floor room. On opening the door I was bitterly disappointed. The double bed was rammed against the wall (intentionally as the headboard was not central). The furniture looked like it was purchased from Ikea, nothing matched! The wooden desk was scratched with etchings, like being at school. The cables from the TV were hanging down and the safe did not work!.

The bathroom however was very modern but it could have done with new towels as they were lifeless and old and looked like they needed to be binned!! On the first morning(Sunday) we were woken by a fairly rude housekeeper at 830am wanting to clean our room! I appreciate that we did not have a "do not disturb" sign on the door however 830am I felt was too early.

The bars attached to the foyer are fairly souless. An extensive cocktail menu that does not contain the basic traditional cocktails and at £12 a pop plus 12.5% graduity plus £2.75 for some horrible nuts that we did not ask for, I would like something familar to drink!

I have stayed in some amazing hotels around the world and I dont mind paying a lot of money if the quality and standard of the hotel is good. I would have been very disappointed if i had paid over £600 for the weekend but as I paid less I feel I should not really complain and hence did not say anything at checkout (not that they asked)
It is a very large hotel and quite impersonal.

In general the hotel is situated in a very convenient location and is ultra modern in the communal areas but they have cheaply modernised. I will not be staying there again

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank smellyo
Guoman_Management, Manager at The Cumberland, responded to this review, 17 March 2010
I am sorry that your stay was unpleasant and did not meet the high expectations that you would expected from The Cumberland Hotel. I also apologise for the knock on the door so early on a Sunday morning, I will pass your comments of to the Head Housekeeper regarding this matter. We take on board all customer feedback & will strive to improve all areas of our business through your constructive comments.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,059)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Kilmarnock
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2010

contacted the hotel before my visit to request spacious room as most customers say rooms were small . I was allocated a corner room with Oxford St view . Ok size but grubby . The other 2 couples in my party were given a small double and one couple a single until we complained . Final room was little better with bed against wall . Breakfast was good with no waiting . Check in check out ok . Location was good although not many late bars in the direct area . This hotel tries to impress you on entry but a hotel is also about rooms where it lacks 4 star and probably 3 star quality .

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank baggiokfc
Thank you for your recent review. All feedback is greatly received as we are continuously striving to improve all aspects of the hotels offerings and making your stay with us as enjoyable as possible. I will be passing on your comment regarding the cleanliness of the room to our Head Housekeeper. I hope you return to stay with us in the future.
Cheshire, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2010

Having booked the Cumberland for two nights I was a bit concerned about all the negative comments. After our visit I can only assume that some people like a really good moan about anything and everything. The hotel is excellent for transport, being right by Marble Arch tube station and is in the middle of all the shopping attractions. The breakfast was very good and the rooms were absolutely fine. We would certainly return!

Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your comments and compliments about our hotel. All feedback is greatly received as we are continuously striving to improve all aspects of the hotels offerings and making your stay with us as enjoyable as possible. We hope to see you again in the near future.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2010

The lobby is fantastic looking but very loud, I am a little hard of hearing so for someone like myself the glass and marble lobby is not great.
Checking in it is as always hard, it's hard to understand the receptionist talking to you as the English is very poor. there use to be a little English girl who worked there but was informed that she left.
The rooms are dirty,stains on the carpet, shower leaks, moving room is a minefield as you have to go back downstairs to a non responsive desk clerk who wants to upgrade you to a worse room and expects you to be happy with the extra charge. Management are robotic and do not really care.
House keeping, do they have any?
I have stayed in this hotel 3 times and every time its the same old same old, to be honest it is nothing more then a really cheap b&b made to look like a 4 star top London hotel. I shall be taking my custom to another hotel.
The staff do not care the management do not care every time I have stayed there is a problem and it is just not good enough I am not a person who makes a fuss but I am very unhappy with this hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review. I would personally like to apologise to you for the inconvenience caused to you and that certain aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations. Feedback is important to us as we use it to further improve our services and standards. I have passed on your comments to the Front of House Manager and our Head Housekeeper. Please accept my apologise again.
Dublin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2010

Very impressive lobby area, friendly staff on check in and check out. Bedroom was tiny however done the job as somewhere to lay your head at night. Event though we were on the 7th floor still quite noisey and the pillows weren’t great. Loved the location and was amazed by all the staff on duty working at one time. Ate in the ba r- food was okay but not really worth the price. The Italian across the road was lovely! Breakfast was good. There was nothing outstanding about my stay but again nothing worth complaining about. For Location it gets top marks – right on the tube and on Oxford street, across from Hyde park!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
Thank you for your review on your recent stay at The Cumberland. I am glad that you had a pleasant stay with us and that we were able to cater for your needs. Customer satisfaction is crucial to us and therefore we are welcoming to all comments whether positive or negative.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2010

My friend and I stayed for two nights in this hotel and we both loved it. Check in was quick and the receptionist was very friendly.
I agree with some of the other reviews which say the lobby is more impressive than the rooms although I think we were lucky because we had a huge room on the top floor.
We had no problems sleeping as the room was quiet and the beds were soft and warm.
Overall, great rooms, great staff and the location is PERFECT for hitting the shops on Oxford Street.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
Many thanks for your review on your recent stay with us at The Cumberland. It is always pleasing to receive positive comments. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Workington, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2010

The reception area is ultra modern but too clinical, as are all the public area's and restaurants, almost cold.
The Garry Rhodes brasserie is just a collection of tables in a room adjacent to the bar with the same very high ceilings as the rest of the ground floor, although I can't comment on the food because we didn't fancy the surroundings.
Breakfast was very good but I wouldn't pay over £20 to sit in a 'Canteen' if it had not been part of our package.
It was our room that was the most disappointing part of our stay, I appreciate the stay was part of a weekend package from a weekend break company but our room was the smallest I've ever stayed in in any city in the word, the bed was up against the wall and under the television so only one side of the bed was accessible which wasn't much fun when the wall side person needed the bathroom through night, not my idea of a comfortable stay.
On the plus side, any staff we came into contact with,reception,bar and breakfast were very pleasent and always helpfull.
We often go to london for a short break but we will not be staying at 'The Cumberland Marble Arch' again.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Guoman_Management, Management at The Cumberland, responded to this review, 24 February 2010
Thank you for your feedback on The Cumberland Hotel. I was disappointed to read that you were not impressed with the style of the hotel, and you felt the room was very small.