“SUPERB LOCATION AND EXCELLENT SERVICE”
Review of The Cumberland

The Cumberland
Ranked #421 of 1,069 Hotels in London
New Delhi, India
“SUPERB LOCATION AND EXCELLENT SERVICE”
Reviewed 3 April 2010

Hi,

I really appreciate the services of the hotel fron staff as well as the back end staff. They were very helpful and courteous and always responded to our requirements. Was really surprised to see their excellent hospitality.
Moreover you cannot be at a better location than this right near the tube station and in the shopping area, right opposite PRIMARK.
The only concern is that the rooms were little small, as other hotels are in Europe.
But would surely recommend the hotel and would love to stay here again on my next visit.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,100)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Derby
Reviewed 29 March 2010

Just returned from a two night stay at the Cumberland. Was a bit concerned after reading some very negative reviews of this hotel, but we had a really comfortable stay. Check in was prompt and the reception staff were very helpful. Okay, the rooms are on the small size, but clean and tidy with iron, ironing board, hairdryer, flat screen tv, lovely thick towels and complimentary toiletries. Breakfast is hectic, but the staff were friendly and coffee and tea in plentiful supply. The location of this hotel is superb for seeing all the sights,just 2 minutes from the tube station. One small complaint-where are the stairs if there was a fire???

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Bergen, Norway
Reviewed 28 March 2010

After reading the Tripadvisor reviews for The Cumberland Hotel - quite a few of them were rather negative - I was a bit apprehensive about staying there. Turns out I had nothing to fear. We arrived at the hotel in the evening and our check-in was dealt with quickly. We stayed for two nights. The rooms are small, but rather nice (I wasn't much bothered by the fact that the view was of the backyard). There was some noise from the disco in the evening. Breakfast was superb, with different "stations" depending on what you wanted. On the negative side, the temperature in the hotel, the rooms excepted, was rather cold. The location is excellent, close to Marble Arch and Hyde Park. I would stay here again on future visits to London.

• Stayed March 2010
Plymouth
Reviewed 27 March 2010

I have just returned from a wonderfull 2 night trip to london where i chose to stay at the cumberland, I have stayed here many times before and everything has always been fantastic, although before going this time I became slightly worried as there were so many bad reviews on here. Well all I can say is go and see for yourself because the hotel is wonderfull and the staff i met were very pleasent and extremly polite!!!
We arrived on the wednesday evening at half past 9 and were checked in very quickly we were told we had a free upgrade to a room with a view, the lobby looks great and very modern we were on the first floor and to be honest it was one of the best rooms i have stayed in within the hotel, the room was huge bathrobes and slippers on the bed, and a fantastic view of hyde park, then there was the bathroom which was very spacious and again very modern the shower was a three headed shower which was brilliant and there were plenty of towels etc for us.
My friend and I had a very good nights sleep and went down for breakfast in the morning, alot of people have said it is like a canteen on reviews i have read well all i can say is they have every avalible option you could possibily want they have a pancake bar full english breakfast cereal fruit pastries fruit juice smoothies tea coffee and yes it is very big and alot of people are in there at one time but the hotel does have over 1000 rooms!!! it was all self service and there were no real ques.
We did not have a evening meal at the hotel but the gary rhodes restaureant looked very nice!!!
I will certainlty be returning to this hotel again it is in a perfect location right on oxford street and in walking distance of many attractions i have no complaints about this hotel and for the people that do they obviously do not like a modern twist on a hotel and are stuck in a time warp. Thankyou staff at the cumberland

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank citygal85
Burton on Trent
Reviewed 26 March 2010

Having stayed in the Cumberland 3 years ago with my wife we decided that we would stay there a second time, this time with our 6 month old baby. The decision based on location to central London and Hyde Park where we could walk with the pram. However, this was decision we regretted from the moment we opened our bedroom door.

The booking was made through the hotel website where we specified a cot for our baby. On arrival I enquired that the room we had booked was a room big enough for a cot and to move around in; this I assured was the case!

On entering the room it was one of the smallest double rooms I have ever stayed in and there was barely enough room to get round the bed and this was without the cot being in the room. I returned to the reception and asked if a bigger room was available and was offered an upgrade which would cost me £55. Having looked at the prices during the process of booking I knew this was £25 more than the rate for the upgraded room cost! When I mentioned this I was told take it or leave it... I left it!!!

When I enquired when the cot would be brought to the room I was told later in the evening! I did point out that the safe place to put our baby was in a cot and that the baby did like to sleep during the day but was told again there was nothing that could be done... great!

Apart from this bad customer service the room was not as described. The website claims all rooms have flat screen TV's, well this room had no flat screen TV, just one of the biggest and fattest TV's I have ever seen, which was perched on top of the bar fridge. Not usually a problem but with no space in the room anyway it just compounded the feeling of confinement. Then the bar fridge and tea making facilities were all inside the cabinet upon which the TV was sat. This caused the next problem as the door to the cabinet could not open wide enough to get the tea making facilities out from the cabinet!! The bed in the room was so close to this cabinet the door would barely open half way!

The bathroom was ok, but no better than a 2 or 3 star hotel. The shower head was coming off the wall and again the hotel website claims all deluxe rooms have a walk in shower... I just didn't understand the concept obviously that walk in shower meant walk into a bath and pull a curtain around you!

All in all the experience was dreadful. The description given on the hotel website of the rooms and facilities is incorrect and when I pointed this out at check in was offered no explanation or partial refund to compensate for the wrong description of the room offered. The room was small and inadequate for the needs that we required with a baby. Again this was pointed out at check in and check out with no apology or regret. There was a women begging outside the main foyer which I reported to reception and nothing was done. Even the concierge walked back and forth past this women and did nothing about her begging to hotel guests. Finally the overall attitude of the staff appalled me and trying to rip me off for an upgrade is the final straw.

I would recommend no one to stay here. The hotel is not a 4 star establishment and for the money that you pay for a room here stay elsewhere.

Guam USA
Reviewed 22 March 2010

Made our reservations for a Junior Suite at this hotel as we were traveling with our teenage son. After a 12-hour flight we were looking forward to checking in, a hot shower and sleep. Check-in experience was horrid - (1) the front desk gal put us in a regular room that was dingy and did not have the sofa bed that we required. We called to complain and at first were told the room was their junior suite. Luckily my wife had gone into their website before we left and downloaded a photo and list of amenities for the junior suite we had booked and began describing it in detail to the front desk gal after which we were told to come back down to the front desk to exchange keys for the correct room. (2) reservations included other niceties - champagne, chocolates, and daily buffet Breakfast. We had to inquire again about these and a first were told did not include in reservations we made. My wife had to go back down to the front desk to show them our confirmation letter received directly from their hotel that listed these things at which time the front desk people acted like it was some kind of computer mistake and that it was indeed included. While we were out they did indeed send up the champagne but it was warm (would have been nice if in a bucket of ice - but I guess since we have one in the room they decided we could get that ourselves) and the small box of chocolates was just placed on the room's desk). Housekeeping was not any better - every night after a long day of sightseeing/shopping we would come back to the hotel only to have to request for additional bath towel (apparently they only give 2 a day even if guest number on reservation is 3) and a set of linens for the sofa bed. You would think that after a couple of days of requesting these they would catch on that there are 3 people using that room! Only consolation about our stay was that the location was great - next to subway entrance, small grocery store across street, Pret Manger next door for sandwich/salad and 2 miles of shopping right out the door. Even so, we also discovered that the Marriott Marble Arch and the Thistle Marble Arch are also across the street and next door respectively so next time we are in London we will definitely give one of those hotels a try.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 21 March 2010

I was very disappointed once we arrived at our room. Just as all of the other reviews stated, the lobby was outstanding and then they sent us to the next building over to find our room and as soon as we opened the door we were immediately disappointed. We spent 180 GBP on a "deluxe king room" that had what seemed to be a queen sized bed, a tv with 10 channels of fuzzy programs, and a bathroom with a see through door. We had an excellent view of the back alley and the windows barely opened a few inches. Also found out that the week after we stayed, the room prices dropped by 50%. The only good thing about the location is the prosimity to the Marble Arch tube station. Other than that, the only thing nearby is Hyde Park and even the "nearby" Maddame Tussauds which the hotel said it was a perfect location for visiting is a hefty walk away. We also visited the hotel's bar and were surprised by how expensive the drinks were and also the staff was unable to recommend a drink. When we chose one it and turned out to be disgusting, the waitress laughed and said "you wanted to try it!"

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple