“Disappointed smoker” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #598 of 1,089 Hotels in London
uk
“Disappointed smoker”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

I have stayed here loads of times...but no more...This is a copy of the email I sent them in case anyone is interested.....Its a nice hotel but it has jumped on the bandwagon of going non smoking...

I just want to say that I have been staying at your hotel once or twice a year for a few years now and have always been happy with everything. I (and my wife) have been staying in Holiday Inns forever but it seems like that is about to come to an end. I recently had to stay in Exeter HI Express (not for the first time)only to find out it has become "non smoking"...So I won't be staying there again.
So what do I find when I go online the other day to book a couple of nights with you in Early July as part of my wifes birthday celebration.....You've gone "non smoking".....Well thanks a bunch for that.....So you've decided to jump on the bandwagon of turning smokers into second class citizens and I'm sure you'll have a good excuse but I'm sure its down to money cos I'm damn sure you are not doing it out of concern for anyones health.
Was there really any harm in keeping a small proportion of rooms available for smokers, we don't ask for much, we don't want your silly little areas set aside for us to go and have a cigarette....We just want to be treated the same as anyone else....A room that I've paid for and should be allowed to smoke in if I want to. If the precious non smokers of the world don't like it...Tough...I'm not asking them to sleep in my room with me and inhale the (unproved) terrible toxic fumes that will kill them in minutes if exposed...I'm not even asking them to look at me and judge me and see the (unproved) terrible toxic fumes which will obviously kill them if they see me enjoying myself for to long.....God how I wish I could be like them, so righteous, all knowing so "how dare they smoke in my presence and spoil my view of the world".......Oh enough.....Can't be bothered to rant on anymore...Thanks for nothing....Very disappointed Holiday Inn...The law does not state that all hotels have to be non smoking but you've decided for your own reasons to alienate me.....I'm not going to turn into one of those smokers who lies to you to get a room like 100's of them do then have a ciggy in your rooms anyway with a window open.

I won't be staying with you again........bye bye...........Name and IHG Rewards Number supplied

Room Tip: If your a smoker there is a perfectly good Radisson around the corner with smoking rooms
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Bilston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

The room was a bit small, but this seems pretty standard for London. It was, however, very comfortable and fine for a short stay. Reception staff were very helpful, as were the waiting staff at breakfast. No complaints whatsoever, this is a good choice of hotel for central London with shops and restaurants right on your doorstep.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel are nice and quiet.
Cairo, Egypt
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

i usually stay there at least 2 or 3 times a year for business and short leisure , its very ideally situated in the heart of the shopping area and easy access to transportation,cafe and restaurants. the holiday inn is a very good chain in my opinion, there has been a global upgrade but this one is still lacking behind in terms of refurbishment of rooms and food quality in their restaurant. its a bit pricy for whats its worth but they get away with it because of their location. they have a consistent staff very cheerful and friendly. i recommend for short trips , their single rooms are like cupboards so pay a little extra and go for double its a little extra space which you will appreciate the difference. if your lucky enough to have a priority card then stay on the 6th floor in the executive room, you may need to sort this out with them directly and not the call center upon availability.

Room Tip: go for double rooms as the single is too small, if you have a priority card then you may be upgraded...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Oxford Circus, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Dear Karim R,

We appreciate you choosing our hotel for your business and leisure travels. It’s nice to know that our location is suitable to your needs and we thank you for your kind words regarding our staff. On the other hand, we are very sorry you were not 100% satisfied during your recent stay. Thank you for bringing your concerns about the overall condition of the rooms and food selections to our attention. As one of our IHG Rewards members, we value your feedback as this is our best resource for improvement. Should your travel plans bring you back to the area, we would love the opportunity to serve you again.

Kind Regards,

Tracy V.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Southampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

Location of this hotel is great, a stones throw from the shopping high street but far enough to be quiet. Room was basic but comfortable. It was fine for 1 night. Breakfast was more than adequate. Would stay again if spending 1 night in London.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BeaumontBlu
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Oxford Circus, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear BeaumontBlu,

Thank you for your posting a review about your recent stay with us. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed our amenities and that our location was suitable to your needs. I appreciate the high scores given for cleanliness, quality, and value as well.

We appreciate your feedback as this keeps us highly motivated in providing good value, comfort and superior guest satisfaction to valued guests like you. We look forward to serving you again when you return to London.

Kind Regards,

Tracy V.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

I am a fairly regular visitor to the hotel and one of the great aspects is the great team who look after port wring, room service and reservations. Central location is of course a huge bonus and there is a huge range of very good eating places within a few streets.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Viewlander
south yorks
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

Great central location just a few minutes from Oxford street and the nearby marylebone road with an excellent selection of restaurants and bars.
Reception and bar ok.
However......sited directly and very quickly apparent, just above the tube line, be ready ( if you're unfortunate to be on the ground floor) for your room to rumble every four minutes as trains pass underneath .
Asked for a high floor......but supposedly full......so how many more trains will I count before morning
Avoid unless you're sure your way above the Victoria line!

Room Tip: High floor or avoid
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank tykemike
DMELROSE, General Manager at Holiday Inn Oxford Circus, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear Tykemike

Thank you for your review. I am really pleased you enjoyed the hotel's great location.

I am really sorry you were disturbed by the noise of the underground. It is not often we get negative comments about noise as in fact we pride ourselves with being in the heart of London yet based in a quiet residential street however, if you could please email me directly on dmelrose@holidayinnoxfordcircus.com I will be happy to update your reservation profile with a preference for a bedroom on higher floors.

Once again thank you for your review.

Kind regards

D. Melrose

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Oxford Circus hotel as we were going to be out until the wee hours in Central London for a 30th Birthday bash and didn't want to be hunting taxi's down or trying to get my wheelchair on a night bus!

In a fantastic location the hotel was 5mins from the party. I have used other Holiday Inns so was confident we'd have a good stay! The main entrance isn't accessible but I was told there was another entrance but I just got up and walked the 4 steps to save time.

The reception staff were lovely and very friendly.

Our room was on the ground floor as I'd requested a disabled friendly room. The room was clean, a little dated, but cosy. There wasn't enough room for my manual wheelchair so we sat that in the bathroom when I wasn't using it.

We got back to the hotel at 2am and again the reception staff were great, the hotel bar was still open (although we'd had enough already!) we fell into the very comfortable bed and slept very well.

We'd booked to have breakfast and there was plenty to chose from; full English, toast, cereal, fruits and pastries. My only complaint about our stay was that some of the restaurant were rude and seemed put out if asked for something.

Overall, this was a great hotel with a fantastic location at a reasonable price if you're partying in Central London.

Room Tip: Let them know if you have any special requirements or needs.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Ladygogo84

Many thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed review. Of course I am delighted you had such a great stay and key points such as cleanliness and facilities were completely to your satisfaction.

Regarding our disable access, I'm afraid this has been something we have tried again and again to change but unfortunately our hands are tied as we are a listed building and Westminster Council will not allow us to make any changes to the front entrance. We have implemented procedures to ensure all our guests with limited mobility are taken care of and feel safe when staying with us. In fact we do have an accessible room on the 6th floor which would have been more suitable for you and although I do understand you prefer a room on a lower floor, I'd like to suggest to try it when you next stay with us as I believe you will really like it.

I am really sorry to hear about your experience with some of the restaurant staff during breakfast. I have forwarded your comments to the Restaurant Manager to deal with this as it is not an acceptable behaviour I expect from my staff.

Once again thank you for your review and we look forward to see you again in the near future.

Kind regards