“terrible experience!”

Ranked #614 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“terrible experience!”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

for the first time in 40 years of business travel I didn't have a room reservation on the night I arrived despite the fact that I had proof of reservation!!! But it was all my fault according to the reservations staff who did manage to put me in a tiny single room. After promising me a bigger room the next day 3 different hotel reservations staff said there were none available until I insisted on talking to a manager who put me in a bigger room. The lobby is under construction and the makeshift lobby is disgusting and the promised WiFi did not work. No soaps or shampoos just generic stuff out of a dispenser on the bathroom wall. The hallways and rooms smelled of musk/mildew and had to keep the windows open the whole time. Spent as little time as possible in that hotel. Neither I nor anyone in my company will stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank genebig
DMELROSE, General Manager at Holiday Inn Oxford Circus, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Genebig

Thank you for the feedback. First and foremost, I'd like to take this opportunity to apologise for the disappointing experience you had while staying with us. This is definitely not up to our standards and I would like to rectify that.

In order to address the issues you have raised, I'd really appreciate if you could please email me directly on dmelrose@holidayinnoxfordcircus.com. We take the comments and reviews from our guests very seriously as we are constantly working on improving the quality of service provided and talking to you directly would give us an opportunity to do that.

We have tried our upmost to cause the minimum disruption to our guests while refurbishing the lobby and I'm really sorry for the inconvenience this caused you. This is a major facelift which once finished, will create a best in hotel experience for everybody staying with us.

Once again, please do accept my apologies and would be really grateful if you could please contact me directly.

Yours sincerely

David Melrose

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Stayed here recently for a 'long weekend / theatre' break with the 'other half'. The location itself is great - very close to Oxford Street, and with a walk, the rest of the West End and also to the 'hidden gem' of Marylebone Village.
The hotel itself is defnitely a little tired - hence the refurbishment that is going on in the reception / bar area I presume. (Would have been nice if we'd been told that when we booked but there yopu go - and not a major problem).
The room corridor was somewhat shabby and the room definitely in need of a 'makeover' with dark colours and dated furniture. It was clean, though, and the bed was comfortable enough. Bathroom was also OK. The aircon seemed to have a mind of it's own and regularly switched itself off - it was definitely needed as the room was very stuffy without. Complimentary wifi - as it always seems to be in Hol Inns was hopeless! Staff were just about OK but I didn't encounter too much friendliness! My Priority Club Platinum Memebership was acknowledged at check-in. However, I wasn't offered an extended check-in until I asked (and then it was only until 12.00pm). I also wasn't asked about newspapers, wake-up calls and we weren't offered or asked about breakfast. So that wasn't too good! Overall, an average, somewhat scruffy Holiday Inn with uninterested staff but with a great central London location.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Oxford Circus, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
Dear Fuzzbox100,

Thank you for being an IHG Rewards Platinum member and for leaving us a feedback about your stay. It is pleasing to know that our location and bathroom facility worked suitably for your needs. I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy your overall experience with us due to the condition of the hotel, air conditioning unit, and room accommodation. Rest assured that your comments will be forwarded to management for future upgrade considerations.

Thank you for staying and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again on your next future visit.

Charisse V.
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 16 June 2014

PROS:
1)The hotel was conveniently located near the tourist bus stops and the Oxford shopping district. 2)The breakfast was reasonable-priced with hot items.
3) The Filipino staff were very helpful and extended the traditional Filipino hospitality to their guests. We found out about the good restos from Melly (?) the supervisor in the restaurant and not from the Front Office staff who were not so friendly and warm.
4) The hotel had bell boys to assist us and a huge elevator unlike most hotels in Europe. The Filipino, Armand(?) was very helpful and was very fast in granting us our requests.
5) The hotel had a family room that could accommodate 5 unlike most European that could only fit 4.

CONS:
1) The Concierge was most of the time not present in the lobby. The front desk staff did not offer any assistance or recommendation regarding tourist spots/activities and were not very friendly or warm.
2) The room needs refurbishing. Looked old and worn-out. Looked gloomy too.
3) The housekeeping needs improvement. We felt the dust fall off from the curtains when we closed them. But the bathroom was clean.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank lizaocampo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Oxford Circus, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear lizaocampo,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are always very grateful for our guest’s feedback and are particularly pleased that you liked our location, breakfast and the service received from our Filipino staff. However, we apologize if our rooms, concierge and housekeeping services did not meet your expectations. Rest assured, your comments will be reviewed by our hotel management to target opportunity areas and to avoid the same scenario in the future.

We hope you give us another chance to show you how great our hotel is and allow us to redeem your faith in our award winning service.

Charisse V.
Birmingham
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights with my partner. Really clean, modern furnished room overlooking Welbeck street. Staff were friendly and welcoming. Perfect location, would definitely recommend to anyone taking a short break in London!

• Stayed May 2014
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Nothing wrong with this hotel- overpriced as everywhere is in London, but efficient staff, clean and good location. However it does not have a car park so you have to use an NCP nearby. Our car was trashed windows caved in and all our luggage stolen, despite having cctv and supposed security guards (midday Sunday) If you are in a car be very very wary of this area The police told us that this type of crime is rife in this area ( wish we had known in advance) nothing to do with the hotel but you need to be aware

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Patrick K
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Oxford Circus, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear Patrick K,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. We were glad to see your kind comments for cleanliness and the staff. It is truly unfortunate to see this trouble encountered at the independent car park.We take all of the reviews we receive very seriously as they allow us to identify areas that may benefit from additional attention. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Adrian D
IHGCare

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Luton
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I dont think you can go far wrong with an Intercontinental Hotel Group establishment as as a rewards member it was an obvious choice for me for a saturday and sunday week- end break.

Its advertised location is a bit exagerated as Oxford Circus is a brisk 15 minute walk away, but it is very close to Debenhams Oxford St which is ideal for shopping as John Lewis to your left and Selfridges to the right !-- perfect

Now the hotel......... well I will be kind because on the whole the staff are very friendly and helpful but they are driving a bit of an old banger... The place is in need of a complete overhall, an oil change and a vallet will not do the trick.

Having checked in, this was fairly easy my booking was all on the system and although the reception staff seem to be eastern European a slight language problen can occur. While waitng for the only lift which is very slow I couldnt help but notice a fairly thick layer of dust beside the lift on a black marble plinth so that made me perk up my critical eye to spot any other shortcomings, and once on my fifth floor it was plain to see that paintwork chipped and scratched , carpets tired and not as clean as I would have expected and once in my room the old brown wooden furniture and seating had seen better days and was disappointing... there were two light bulbs not working and I later discovered the iron didnt work. No fridge in the room and the air con had a mind of its own and whatever setting I chose made no difference at all. The bathroom was small and door opened outwards into the bedroom and anyone much over six foot would have had a job standing up straight in the bath for a shower.
Breakfast was not included and to save £4 a voucher had to be obtained from reception; Breakfast was ok... no egg cheff on offer just a container of fried eggs and other containers with the usuals but all covered by dreadful scratched plastic see through lids...... I had an evening meal on the sunday in the resaurant, it was a carvery, just a big lump of beef on offer which was cooked to perfection, unfortunately the youkshire puddings were cold as were the roast potatoes.... so a bit of a shame as the beef was perfect.
One more gripe... the wifi was provided by issued chitties one per day giving a user name and password, I couldnt get them to work and called the help number printed on the chitty... to no avail and had to take my lap top to reception to get the matter resolved, although I will be the first to admit to some possible user error here !! but when the next days coding neede to be used I entered all the info but it didnt work and I couldnt be bothered to go down again so I went without the internet for a whole night !!!!! Im going to try and do that again at home !! how liberating it was.
I think thats it, so to recap... Geat location, great staff, tired hotel and my two nights stay on my own with two breakfasts and one meal came to £475 so way too expensive ...
I realise its an expensive location so its that that you are paying for I just wish the hotel had a bit of a wow factor for the price , sadly it didnt.

Room Tip: I didnt look in any other rooms, but guess all similar and the location is quiet aven though located...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Oxford Circus, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear DavidLU2,

Thank you for sharing your experience online. You have covered all aspects of your stay and we certainly appreciate your positive feedback regarding our convenient location to shopping areas and the friendly staff. On the other hand, it is regrettable that the overall condition of the hotel, WiFi connectivity and food selections did not make for a commendable hotel stay. We take all of the reviews we receive very seriously as they allow us to identify areas that may benefit from additional attention. We have shared your comments with the staff and we are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction. We hope for another opportunity in serving you.

Kind Regards,

Tracy V.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I booked this hotel due to them reducing the price the week before and I was overall delighted. I specifically was pleased that the standard of each room was of a high quality albeit slightly dated decor but great facilities including slippers, bathrobes, large rooms and a very comfy bed. I also had a roof top view of London and that was nice. The fixtures and fittings reminded me of the old original holiday inns from a few years ago where attention was paid to detail. My only problem with this hotel was the noise of the cleaning staff. I was awoken each morning very early by the cleaning staff slamming doors continuously without respect for sleeping guests and to be honest this greatly disturbed me and really added a spoiling touch to my stay. The noise from the staff was so loud that even my super strength EAR ear plugs could not stop me hearing the noise from the staff. Other than the noise, I had a great stay and this hotel can be recommended by me. If by chance any member of staff comments on this review (as is normal) by saying I should have mentioned the noise to you, then the answer is... no I shouldn't as it is your job to make sure no such noise happens.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo