“Good value for money”

Ranked #352 of 1,064 Hotels in London
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Good value for money”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Having found this deal we we're very excited to staying in an executive room in central London, however it didn't feel executive I don't feel.

The staff were incredibly friendly and when we first entered the hotel the staff were smiling and greeted the three of us warmly. I had mentioned when booking online that this was for my mothers birthday, I was delighted when the receptionist wished our mother happy birthday when we checked in! Goes to show these messages do get passed on.

The staircase between the ground floor and first floor had a lovely clean linen smell to it, between floor 1 and 2 and all of floor 2 on the way to our room had a horrible dank smell to it. It smelt of what can only be described as sewage which was not pleasant at all.

The room was incredibly clean and well prepared however upon entering the room it was a shame to see that it was a very small room. The pictures on the website and booking description lead me to believe it would be a bigger room. For three people it was a tight squeeze and somewhat uncomfortable in terms of space.

It was disappointing that we had to ask for a third dressing gown and slippers set. Considering we had made a booking for three people in a triple room this was not a good start, however when we highlighted this to the staff they made sure another set had been bought up to the room while we were out.

The location of the hotel is fantastic and very central with some fantastic little bars and cafe's nearby ideal for breakfast.

Overall we were satisfied with our stay, however there were a few touches that were somewhat disappointing as highlighted above.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Leesa M
JoannaCarruthers, General Manager at Rydges Kensington London, responded to this review, 17 September 2014
It is so pleasing to see that you found our location fantastic!
I appreciate the feedback, I have taken it on bored and am currently reviewing it as we speak.

Joanna Carruthers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 25 June 2014

My experience was wonderfully memorable. From the room to the service everything was excellent, I will definitely recommend this hotel to friends. The location is absolutely fantastic, walking distance to museums and the tube.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

3 Thank Derek M
Thank you for the wonderful feedback, it is very much appreciated!

Scotland
Reviewed 24 June 2014

First of all, I should say that the location is great.

Prior to my visit, I had emailed a request about my visit which was fully met, which was much appreciated. All the staff who we encountered were friendly enough, no complaints there either.

There is no way though that the hotels - or at least the rooms - could be described as "boutique". For example, the carpet was badly fitted in our room, lots of dodgy touch ups to the painting, mirrored wardrobe was filthy and there was just an overall feeling that everything was just a little bit on the tatty side.

Overall the hotel was fine, but it was not the luxury experience which is implied. I wouldn't say to avoid it, just have realistic expectations.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank quizzer
It is so pleasing to hear that you enjoyed our wonderful location. I am however disappointed to hear the comments in regards to your room - I will be looking into this and ensuring that it is rectified.
I do hope we can welcome you back again.

North Brunswick
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Location is convenient, maybe 10 minute walk from Harrods, friendly staff, decent-sized rooms for the price. However, in 2014, one needs working Wi-Fi at all times. Day One, Wi-Fi kept kicking me off it about once an hour, and then the access code stopped working, prompting a call to the front desk for a new code, which was done through the speaker feature of the phone, because the handset wasn't working.
Day Two, I woke up to now access whatsoever, only an error message telling me that too many guests had accessed the system, please try again later. Came back 10 hours later, and it was still not working...gave up and sat outside a Burger King to use their free Wi-Fi to send my work e-mails, but also burned $25 of international data charges on my phone sending e-mails.
When I complained upon check-out, the clerk kindly informed since the Wi-Fi was free, they would not compensate for my data charges....nice, huh?
I think I will pass on this hotel when I return to London in a few months.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

2 Thank Brian O
Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience and frustration that would have been caused by the points you have raised in your review. It is very disappointing to hear!
However it is pleasing to see that you found our location convenient.

Munich
Reviewed 21 June 2014

- cleaning was perfect
- internet was not working the most of the time
- breakfast service was more or less absent
- breakfast food was good
- no one helped us with the luggages when we arrived
- the room was very big and confortable
- location perfect
- no envelope was given of the check out paper

• Stayed June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with some feedback on your recent stay, it is very much appreciated.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

The hotel was in a good location. We unfortunately had a room in the basement which was clean and modern , but wouldn't want to stay in that particular room again! The breakfast and coffee was very good! The hotel was too expensive, but we must of chosen an expensive week to visit london! Weekends are a lot more reasonable!

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Ginbrad
It’s wonderful to see another comment on our great location!

Caloundra, Australia
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Spent a month in Britain at a range of hotels and B&B's - Rydges was the worst place we stayed. Staff were rude, condescending and completely unhelpful. Room facing Gloucester Rd had a window which would not close, making it cold and letting excessive traffic noise in. Breakfast on first morning was poor, with very little selection and no service, so did not go there for the rest of our stay. Wifi reception in room was poor and so slow in was useless. Had to sit in lobby for Wifi and still very slow.
Definitely will not stay again.

Room Tip: Don't get a room facing Gloucester Rd if you want quiet.