“One of the worst hotel experience of my life”

Rydges Kensington London
Ranked #371 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Maybe not the worst but i can say one of the worst hotel experience of my life.
The receptionist was very rude. The micro room had a view of walls like a prison and the only things that you can see was the air-conditioning machines (attached picture).
Never ever again..

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank UnsalMK
JoannaCarruthers, General Manager at Rydges Kensington London, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2014

This type of feedback is very disappointing to receive; I have taken your feedback in regards to the receptionist on board and am currently investigating.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Our recent stay (the second time) was not so good at this hotel. The room that was provided was very small and the bed uncomfortable, not to mention every time I had to charge my mobile, this would trip the electrical circuit.
As regards staff, Mr.Sheikh was very good, this cannot be stated for the other reception staff who were rather rude in their behavior !! In actual fact they would not help us with our luggage during our check out whilst they carried on talking among themselves !!

Room Tip: Please check your room before committing to your stay
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

It’s wonderful to hear some great feedback on Mr Sheikh and I look forward to sharing this with him, however it is quite disappointing to see your comment on reception! I can assure you that this is not our normal level of service – please accept my apologises for the inconvenience and frustration this would have caused.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

I stayed here July16-20. Had a small but clean and comfortable room right next to the elevator. That turned out not to be a problem as I never heard anyone coming or going. The hotel has a great location. The closest tube, Glouchester, (?) is closed but Kensington was a short walk away. I walked to the Museum of Natural Science, Victoria and Albert Museum, Kensington Gardens and Hyde Park. All very close. The staff at the Rydges are all very helpful and friendly. I added the breakfast to my room for each morning and was not disappointed. I enjoyed tea one afternoon and drinks in the bar one night. All was delightful. I definitely will stay here next time in London.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Linda K

This is exactly the type of feedback that we aim for, so pleasing to see that you enjoyed your stay with us.
I’m very much looking forward to sharing this feedback with the team.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

We stayed here for an overnight stay and couldn't have been happier. Staff were all super friendly and helpful. We were able to drop our bags off there early on the first day and leave them there until late on the second day which enabled us to make the most of the stay. The room was spacious with a really comfortable bed and all the necessary facilities including ironing board and iron. Breakfast was fresh and delicious; so much nicer to have a great continental breakfast than a stodgy cooked breakfast. Plenty of choices and well presented. This hotel is very near t Gloucester Road tube so is in a lovely part of London and ideal for shopping, museums and Kew gardens.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

It is wonderful to hear that you had a fantastic stay, I love receiving feedback like this!
I have to agree we are in a great location in regards to the tube – it makes getting around London that much easier.
I hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

We were looking for a nice hotel close to the parks and a short taxi ride from the Kings Road. We really lucked out with Rydges! We wanted a room that would accommodate 3 people and we got a mini suite that overlooked a mews terrace which had a superking bed and a sofa bed in the sitting room area. The bathroom was lovely with a huge shower and bath and everything was spotless and tastefully decorated. The staff were extremely helpful and obliging and nothing appeared to be too much trouble.
The only slight let down was the breakfast, which was, in fairness included, but was lacking in choice and although still had an hour to run when we arrived, did not appear to have anything replenished. The orange juice was watered down, the bread for toast was a choice of brown or white sliced bread - no bagels or uncut bread, there was no fruit and just a couple of sad mini muffins. We had muesli (no nuts or seeds to put on it) and no choice of milk - just semi skimmed.
Free wifi was a bonus though.
All three of us would definitely recommend this hotel and in fact I am planning to stay there again mid -August - I will just ensure I get down to breakfast early!!

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 104. Quiet and overlooking the mews it was easily accessed off the main reception...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with some wonderful feedback, it is very much appreciated!
It’s wonderful to see that you enjoyed your overall stay and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

This was a perfect base for a girly night in Chelsea - great location, helpful hotel staff and lovely sized, clean, comfy room for three of us in the exec suite. One slight criticism is that breakfast is offered until 10am and although we were in before 9.30am, the buffet was pretty much depleted and clearly not being replenished. Having said that, this is my new fave spot to stay in London!

Room Tip: Really rate the exec suite - good value whether you require the use of the sofa bed or not.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

It is so very pleasing to hear that you will be returning and that we are your new favourite spot to stay in London!

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We always stay at Rydges when we come to London and we are always welcomed as old friends even by staff who have never met us before. Nothing is too much trouble and help is always at hand.
Thank you Joanna and all the team.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra and book a slightly larger room.
1  Thank Redgate6286

It’s great to hear from one of our very valuable return guest – I look forward to sharing this with the team.