“Lovely hotel”

Ranked #345 of 1,088 Hotels in London
emmakemp22
“Lovely hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

Lovely hotel for a base to explore London. Ideally located for all major transport links, wonderfully equipped rooms, comfortable beds and staff very accommodating. Would definitely stay here again, don't hesitate to book!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank emmakemp22
JoannaCarruthers, General Manager at Rydges Kensington London, responded to this review, 4 September 2014
It is wonderful to see another comment on our famous Rydges Dream beds – they really are super comfortable!
I look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges Kensington London.

Joanna Carruthers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

I would not recommend this hotel as a place to stay - terribly overpriced, no facilities, tired and they even have bedrooms in a basement...The staff was always busy, service completely unpersonalised. Also experienced a bad attitude from one of the staff one late night when came back from the city and asked for information about the area. Ahmed rudely advised to find the information on Google. Will not return and again, would not recommend.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank LauraG G
I am very disappointed to read your comments on your recent stay, this is definitely not the type of service we aim for! Be assured that I am looking into your comments as we speak. Please accept my sincere apologies for not only the inconvenience but also the frustration this would have caused.

Canberra Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

A review of a London Hotel is always difficult as they are inherently expensive, often old and you pay for location and proximity to attractions/underground stations. But when a hotel is listed as 4.5 stars and expensive - I think it is fair game to do an honest review.

Good Points
The staff at this hotel are very professional and helpful and are the redeeming asset of the hotel. Polite and friendly even under pressure.

Located 2 mins from the Glouster Road Tube Station - it is very handy.

It is walking distance to South Kensington and the Natural History Museum and the 'hop on and off' bus stop is right out the front.

We stayed in room 413 which is on the upper level and had 2 big windows, comfortable (soft/medium firmness beds) and ironing board, hairdryer etc (see below for other comments though). It also had a small sofa (which I understand is a sofa bed) - it would be very crowded for three adults though.

Poor points
The staff are the redeeming feature of the hotel but the hotel infrastructure is tired and struggles to be a 4.5 star hotel - in my view 3.5 - 4 star. There is poor natural light and the corridors are narrow with multiple fire doors makes it feel pokey and tired.

We originally booked a twin (I was travelling with my son) and we were re shown downstairs (room 12) - it is a souless dark space that is not worth £230 per night (approx $410 Aud per night!) You weave through stairs, narrow corridors and many fire doors - claustrophobic and depressing.

Oh did I tell you there is no concerirge to help with bags so you drag them yourself - including up the stairs into the hotel as you arrive and its 4.5 stars.

After expressing our concern and disappointment - no shock - with the room the friendly staff were very patient and helpful to find another room we inspected two and settled on 413 ( we were told two King Executive rooms were 'out of service' - a sign that this is a distressed building).

The room was pleasant but small with two suit cases and still expensive and over priced for 4.5 stars. The sink was blocked in bathroom and airconditioning rattled at night. It was also a very dusty room - just settled everywhere even though room serviced each day.

Lastly my transfer to the airport - the front desk offered to book a 'taxi' - in the end a private van turned up (which I was advised would be £45 ponds and cheaper than a 'cab'). Given I had used Uber with my son I thought it would be ok. It was dirty and stunk of cigarette smoke and when we arrived at the airport he tried to charge £50. Just sort of summed up my stay. Sorry I wont be back even though I am an Aussie.

Room Tip: Do not under any circumstances book a twin room that is located on the lower ground floor (rooms 5...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Guest feedback is invaluable to us as it allows us to improve our standards and services – so I thank you for your very detailed review.
I am disappointed to read that the hotel didn’t meet your expectations but have taken all your comments on board and am currently reviewing them as we speak.

San Diego, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

I stayed at the Rydges for one night while traveling through London on a business trip to Continent. The location of the Rydges is excellent -- right in the heart of Kensington and close to Harrod's and the museums, as well as a number of good restaurants (as well as some quick, cheap eats!). The property is very pleasant inside and the staff were efficient and friendly.

My single room really was a single i.e. with a twin bedside a room that was about the size of a dorm room at an American university. Once I put my suitcase on the floor, there was literally not enough room for me to fall out of bed. Everything though was squeaky clean including the bathroom. The sink in the bathroom was just slightly bigger than my face so face-washing required bending over the sink, which was no easy feat as there was a glass shelf just about 15 inches above the sink.

All that said, the hotel served my purpose perfectly as I wanted to be in Kensington close to the Gloucester Road tube station for an easy ride to Heathrow. I have stayed at other places in Kensington and there definitely are better choices with more American style hotel amenities e.g. electrical outlets for US-style plugs. Little things indeed but as a business traveler I prize convenience and predictability over novelty in accomodations.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
I have to agree, we are in the perfect location being in the heart of Kensington!

Thank you for the review.

Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

Stayed here on our honeymoon, rooms were lovely and clean however breakfast service was poor and unorganised. Also they hold £100 from your account for 'incidentals' which takes up to 10 working days to go back into your account - still waiting!!

• Stayed August 2014
Firstly, a big congratulations on getting married! It’s pleasing to see that you found the rooms lovely and clean.
If you’re preauthorization hasn’t clear by now please contact me directly ASAP and I will look into this straight away for you.

Santa Cruz, California, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

The hotel is ideally located on Gloucester Road. The lobby is very nice and the rooms are cute but very small. Bathrooms are nicely renovated. Our first room had a very loud squeaky fan so we immediately asked for a new room. We got one in the basement floor which was dark but very quiet (accept for people slamming doors). The fire alarm went off 3 times during our stay - once early in the morning. The internet was ok but very annoying that it kicked us out about every 15 minutes while in use. We went back a second time (we had taken a side trip to Scotland in between our London stay) and the shower stall door did not work. Management should double check all of the fixtures prior to booking people. My brother also stayed there. One day it rained real hard and he had water come into his room via the vent. They did move him, but did not offer any kind of refund.

Room Tip: Immediately complain if room has issues.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

It is disappointing to read a few of your comments in regards your recent stay. There is absolutely no excuse for fixtures not working in rooms so please accept my apologies for the inconvenience and frustration this would have caused to both you and your brother.
On a more positive note its great to see that you found our location super!

Leicestershire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

We stayed as a party of 6 on a visit to the Albert Hall and London. Staff very helpful and polite. Room and bathroom clean and not very big but rooms in central London are not huge. Breakfast good. Close to Tube Station and Museums. The Jam Sandwich restaurant was very good; food and service excellent

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back. No view but no noise from road
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
This is definitely the type of feedback I love receiving, it is so pleasing to see that you enjoyed your stay!