“I liked it, but I don't think I will be back to this hotel again”

Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel
Ranked #229 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Kuwait
“I liked it, but I don't think I will be back to this hotel again”
Reviewed 14 July 2011

The hotel is good, but I've experienced some problems with the booking. I have booked and paid for deluxe room, but when I was checking in the receptionist told me that my room is the regular one and looking into the internal courtyard of the hotel. I had to call my travel agent to solve this problem. In the next morning when I went down for breakfast, they've told me that it is not included! While I have paid for bed & breakfast and it was there in the voucher. The first reply from the lady in the reception was: I don't care about what is written in your voucher, the booking I have is without breakfast! Isn't this rude and impolite answer toward a hotel guest?!!
What I dislike in the room is only the towels. Some of them were old & teared up from the side. I wounder how haven't they noticed that!!

Room Tip: The voices passes the room walls. You can here the conversation next room
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank zaidq80
, Manager at Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 22 July 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your stay at the hotel. I am very sorry that you were not spoken to in an appropriate manner regarding you breakfast inclusive rate. The Director of Food & Beverage and I have addressed this with our respective teams to ensure it does not happen again.

With regards to your room, the Deluxe room that you booked is our standard room type. I have followed up with the Executive Housekeeper regarding the damage to your towels for, as you rightly said, this should have been noticed when your room was being prepared. Finally, I am pleased to tell you that we are in the process of improving the sound-proofing between rooms with interconnecting doors to prevent guests being disturbed during their stay.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future and would ask you to contact me directly once you have made a reservation to that I can ensure you have a wonderful stay.

nicholas.chalmers@marriott.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (470)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Oslo
Reviewed 6 July 2011

Stayed as part of our vacation, witha five year old child. Otel is amazing in furnishings, full of details that separate a real high-class hotel and exceptionally polite and attentive staff.

I travel a lot on business, and this is by far one of the best hotels I have stayed at. My small son was really welcome, with staff greeting him and offering small presents or a smile, or proposing to take our photo together....all, these things make a stay not good, but perfect.

Highest regards to concierge desk staff for local advice and general help

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank A_Norski_Rus
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 1 July 2011

My camera disappeared from my room and after leaving a note for the cleaner (to see if it had been tidied up someplace I could not see), I reported to management. Initial reaction seemed to take it seriously but that quickly fell away into inaction. I took a side trip for business and returned to the hotel and, as per the suggestion of the first security staff member who dealt with me, I again contacted security to see what had eventuated on the investigation.
I could not have been more fobbed off with lines such as "...someone else was investigating this...", and "..we understand you reported it to the police for insurance purposes...", with the inference that I should be happy to just get the insurance money. Sorry to disappoint you but I WANT MY CAMERA WITH ITS PHOTOS BACK, as someone from your staff removed it from my room.
Given the inaction of the hotel since then, TripAdvisor is my only resort to bring attention to the only hotel in the world where I have had something removed from my room.
Next stop is to get this hotel removed from our company "Preferred place to stay in London'.
I have read many of the other reviews and have experienced some of the other complaints such as:
. doorman who ignored you unless you specifically ask for a taxi
. another door man who opened the door of my taxi (at the Park Lane entrance), got my luggage out of the taxi and then disappeared , leaving my luggage on the street! I was left to lug 3 pieces of luggage into the hotel, down the steps and across to reception. I'm a 51 year old woman with a bad back and was mighy cheesed off at this lack of basic service.
This hotel gets my "Worst hotel of the Year' award (I spend 50% of my year in hotels so feel I am qualified to judge).

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
9 Thank skm0803
, Manager at Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 26 July 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. As discussed in person, I am sorry that after a thorough investigation into the incident of your missing camera that it could not be located. As explained, we are unable to establish with certainty what actually occurred and can find no evidence which indicates theft by a member of staff.

The hotel does take every report of alleged theft extremely seriously and then acts based on the information obtained from the investigation. In this case, I am glad that I have been able to restore your faith in the hotel, have recognized the need to follow-up more thoroughly and have assisted in resolving the matter to your satisfaction. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit to London.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 28 June 2011

Pros:
Very large room and bathroom
Clean, Comfortable bed
Executive Lounge had good food and drinks
Free computer access in exec lounge
Great people watching spot -Obama was at the JW for a speach when we were there
Rec'd chocolate dipped strawberries and wine for our 20th anniversary
Attentive staff
Nice walk to Buckingham Palace or Hyde Park from the JW

Cons
Not as convenient as I would have like to the tube
Expensive food options onsite
Expensive Rooms. Marriott Grosvenor Square offers a better price and convenient to the tube
I would recommned you purchase your theatre tickets online vs the Marriott ticket desk. They quoted me higher prices

Overall:I would stay here again. I found the hotel to be very clean and attentive.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank lambertbunch
london
Reviewed 27 June 2011

Stayed one night as a gold card holder. Check in took over 30 minutes while we waited for the Receptionist to keep referring to a 'Manager' in the back room. We had no idea what this meant. We were then informed that the rooms were not ready (it was now nearly 5pm) and so they had to find us alternatives??? The rooms were fine but the bed dipped in the middle. The main issue came the following Sunday morning when Housekeeping came to service the room at 925am, at 1015am the boy checking the minibar insisted on entering, follwed by a message on the telephone and TV to remind me to check out by 12 noon. Bizarre. The idea of a Hotel is to sleep, clearly not at this one. When I mentioned this at check out, I was told that I should have put my Do not disturb sign on! Probabny wont stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank bigbloke
, Manager at Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 29 June 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your review following your stay at the hotel. Please accept my apologies for the various lapses in service that you experienced at arrival and then on your morning of departure. I have followed up on your comments with the relevant Heads of Department to ensure that we learn from these mistakes and do not repeat them in the future. In regards to the departure message on your television, I am pleased to inform you that I have immediately stopped the use of this message so that no other guests are disturbed or inconvenienced by it.

Thank you very much for highlighting these points to me. I hope that you will give us the pleasure of looking after you again in the future. Please do let me know once you make a future reservation and I will ensure that we take good care of you.

Columbia, MD
Reviewed 26 June 2011

I wanted to like this hotel. Decent rooms, comfortable beds, not a bad location across from Hyde Park. But the smell. When you walk in the lobby or get in or out of an elevator...the horrid smell overwhelms you. It's like really cheap, strong perfume. I've stayed at Four Seasons with the smell of fresh flowers. Right after this hotel - I moved to the Landmark Hotel - you walk in and smell fresh flowers (also a much nicer hotel). This hotel smelled like someone bought cheap perfume and sprayed it everywhere. It was overpowering. The other guests noticed as on a couple of occasions, others in the lobby were discussing it.
The second issue with the hotel came on the day of checkout. At 1106am I was in my room packing. Suddenly, the TV comes on an starts blaring the sound of an alarm at an ever increasingly loud volume. At first, I thought it was a fire alarm. But the message on the screen said that I had a message - that checkout was at 12pm. I was taken aback by the rudeness of the message. It was an hour before checkout and the hotel thought it a good idea to blare at top volume an alarm? Who runs this place. But they weren't done. 10 minutes later - the TV started blaring again - once again giving me a message that checkout was at 12pm.
I stay at hotels at least 15 weeks a year. I've never seen this before.
This will be my one and only stay at this hotel. For the money - there are many other London hotels that are nicer and seem to value their guests. They also don't feel the need to spray their lobbies with cheap perfume.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank jperf
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your review following your stay at the hotel. Please accept my apologies for the unfriendly departure message which appeared on your television. I am delighted to inform you that I have immediately stopped the use of this message so that no other guests are disturbed or inconvenienced by it. Thank you very much for highlighting this to me.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2011

We have always enjoyed Marriott's hotels, but this is miles above a normal Marriott.

Exceptional room, the most comfortable bed I have slept on, and an all round excellent function location. How on earth they delivered so many beef wellingtons cooked to perfection is beyond me.

Only compaint, the coffee shop was a disappointment. Poor service and cardboard cups - yeuch!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business