“Another wonderful stay”

Ranked #223 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Cleveland, TN
“Another wonderful stay”
Reviewed 29 July 2011

This was our second visit to this hotel. We were there 2 years ago and it was the same wonderful stay. It is close to the tube and a wonderful neighborhood, Mayfair, to walk around and across the street from Hyde Park. The hotel room was clean and comfortable and breakfast included in our stay was plentiful and delicious.
I would certainly come back again,

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (477)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2011

Kind ,helpful ,caring and attentive staff from the minute you arrive at the front door.
Rooms spacious and comfortable.Steakhouse restaurant a must to visit -excellent staff & fantastic food-don't miss the cheesecake.Great breakfasts..Love the reception area-so much space,always looks and smells beautiful.Will certainly go back.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 25 July 2011

I found this hotel to be clean, welcoming, spacious, and well-located. I arrived early in the morning and the friendly front-desk staff worked to find a room for me to check into early, and after a quick breakfast, a room was prepared. It was far larger than I expected from a European hotel, and when I had issues with the ethernet cable in the room, a new one was brought up within minutes of calling the front desk. The concierge was also helpful, providing restaurant and taxi/tube tips along with friendly conversation. As far as the room goes, the bed was 'sleepable' but nothing special, and the shower and bathroom amenities were pretty nice. The hotel is located across the street from Hyde Park, near multiple tube stops and has several dining options inside and nearby. I thought my room had a smell to it - not a bad smell, but some sort of scent, which I found a bit odd. Other than that, the hotel was a great place to stay and I'd definitely consider returning.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 July 2011

I stayed at this hotel approximately 30-40 nights over the last 6 months.

The Good:
- The rooms are OK
- The people running the executive lounge are nice and will try to help when they can
- Room service is very quick

The Bad:
- The worst experience was having a tube card stolen from my room (with over 45 pounds on it). To make matters worse, whomever stole it replaced it with a tube card that had 1 pound on it (clearly it wasn't the same tube card as it was very worn). After battling this for 2 weeks, and having security tell me the only person in the room couldn't have possible stolen the card because she was "honest", I gave up. Isn't there a law in London that you have to replace stolen property? In all my 300 nights at marriott hotels, I have never had this happen. Considering other people are also complaining about stolen goods, I would safely say there is a thief in the hotel.
- Executive lounge is overcrowded. At 5 oclock, the lounge fills up for the food that comes out at 5:30. You cannot get a seat as people stay there the entire night. The same situation in the morning. The lounge has a more cafeteria / canteen feel to it then lounge feel.
- Everything is extremely expensive. To give an example, a burger will run you around 30 USD / 18 pounds. If you order it to room service, expect another 5 or so pounds in service charges.
- It took an act of god to have them give me a bigger room on the same floor (even though the hotel was not to capacity). I had to speak to about 5 people before the request was even considered.
- No wifi (really?)

Room Tip: Platinum status doesn't help. You just have to shell out the money.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
10 Thank Carathie
, Manager at Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 26 July 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your stays at the hotel in March and April. I am sorry to see that you remain upset about the alleged theft of your Oyster card despite being compensated for this as a gesture of goodwill and due to your Platinum Marriott Rewards status. I understood from your email to my colleague who was helping you with this that you were appreciative of the outcome, despite being disappointed at the time it took to resolve, something which I have followed up on personally. I can assure you that the matter was fully investigated and no definitive explanation for the loss could be reached.

I am sorry that you feel your Platinum status was not adequately recognised. I see from your reservations that you were upgraded two categories to an Executive Room on both of your last two stays. Unfortunately, due to the demand for our suites, we are unable to upgrade guests into these without the relevant supplement being paid. I am pleased to tell you that the work on installing wifi to the hotel is already underway and will be operational by September/October.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of you staying with us again in the near future so that we may demonstrate to you the imrpovements we are making in our service. Thank you again for your feedback.

phila
Reviewed 17 July 2011

This hotel is very over rated
They cannot handle surges in check in or check out process.
They have poor service in the executive lounge cannot keep up with the volume of guests using the lounge.
The conditions were unacceptable for the cost of staying at the hotel.
An elevator was out of service our entire stay.
The noise level was unacceptable-with the location across from Hyde Park the noise from the concerts were very disrupting and unacceptable-the rock music was non stop for 12 hours every day-hotel was unable to move our room or offer compensation.
The staff was not informed properly to guide us on travel time to the theater-there were Palace events going on that tied up travel times that the hotel was not able to speak to as a result we were not given the proper travel time to the theater.

Room Tip: Would not reccomend this hotel
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank nancynurse73
, Manager at Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 22 July 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of your stay and I am very sorry that you feel the hotel did not meet your expectations.

The hotel is very busy and there are times when at the Front Desk and in the Executive Lounge guests have to wait for service. However, this should only be a short wait and should not inconvenience you. I am addressing your concerns with the Front Office Manager and am pleased to tell you that we have a number of new associates joining the team who will help to serve our guests quicker. I am also sorry that one of the four guest elevators was out of order during your stay - we were awaiting a part in order to fix it and this has now been resolved.

The concerts, which are held over a handful of summer dates in Hyde Park every year, do result in loud music from 2pm-10.30pm. We do inform guests of the events but have no control over their operation. Due to the hotel being fully booked, we were unable to offer you an alternative room but am sorry that you were disturbed by the music.

I will follow up with the Head Concierge regarding your comment about travel times to the theatre and knowledge of events that may impact your this. Travel times around London can vary significantly depending on traffic levels so we try to build in enough time to allow for this.

Thank you again for your comments and I hope that you will give us a future opportunity to demonstrate the service levels that you expect and that we strive to deliver.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2011

They made me wait 2.5 hrs for my room and refused to let me have late checkout until I explained to them I angry I was. The dvd player was "fizzing". Bathrobe was damaged. Within the exec lounge if crowded they are supposed to send you downstairs to the JW steak house. They made us hang around until two american guests were sent downstairs and we "overheard" and insisted on the same treatment.

It was my anniversary and it was ruined by their arrogance and complete disinterest in showing good customer service. I can only put this down to them being so busy and in a prime location, hence they dont care who they upset as they will always have customers. Location is great Hotel staff are dissapointing.

Room Tip: dont pay for the junior suites. They are not worth it unless you get a park view.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Dr_SHMA
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that certain aspects of your stay were unsatisfactory and wish to apologise that this meant that your anniversary was not as you had planned.

The hotel is incredibly busy and this means that unfortunately there are often times when we are not able to allow guests to check-out late as this could then lead to delays for guests arriving with our guaranteed check-in time of 3pm. I have followed up with the Executive Housekeeper regarding the DVD player and bathrobe as these issues should have been corrected when the room was prepared.

The Executive Lounge does get very busy and there are times when all seating for breakfast is in use. The team endeavour to clear the tables as quickly as possible so I apologise that you were kept waiting and ultimately had breakfast in JW Steakhouse.

In regards to your comment about our suites with views over Hyde Park, only our Park View Suites have this view. We do not have any junior/Deluxe suites overlooking the park.

I can assure you that we take all guests comments seriously and regardless of how busy we are, should be providing the highest levels of guest service at all times. I am sorry that we did not live up to your expectations or to the standards we strive to achieve.

I hope that we will have the opportunity to demonstrate to you that we do value all guests, and especially Marriott Rewards members. Please do let me know when you are next staying with us and I will personally ensure that you receive excellent service throughout your stay.

Kuwait
Reviewed 14 July 2011

The hotel is good, but I've experienced some problems with the booking. I have booked and paid for deluxe room, but when I was checking in the receptionist told me that my room is the regular one and looking into the internal courtyard of the hotel. I had to call my travel agent to solve this problem. In the next morning when I went down for breakfast, they've told me that it is not included! While I have paid for bed & breakfast and it was there in the voucher. The first reply from the lady in the reception was: I don't care about what is written in your voucher, the booking I have is without breakfast! Isn't this rude and impolite answer toward a hotel guest?!!
What I dislike in the room is only the towels. Some of them were old & teared up from the side. I wounder how haven't they noticed that!!

Room Tip: The voices passes the room walls. You can here the conversation next room
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank zaidq80
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your stay at the hotel. I am very sorry that you were not spoken to in an appropriate manner regarding you breakfast inclusive rate. The Director of Food & Beverage and I have addressed this with our respective teams to ensure it does not happen again.

With regards to your room, the Deluxe room that you booked is our standard room type. I have followed up with the Executive Housekeeper regarding the damage to your towels for, as you rightly said, this should have been noticed when your room was being prepared. Finally, I am pleased to tell you that we are in the process of improving the sound-proofing between rooms with interconnecting doors to prevent guests being disturbed during their stay.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future and would ask you to contact me directly once you have made a reservation to that I can ensure you have a wonderful stay.