“Luxurious stay at Grosvenor House”

Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel
Ranked #253 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 31 July 2011

Stayed at Grosvenor House for one night and it was an absolute pleasure from the moment we arrived until we left. The doorman quicky organised our car to be parked and then we checked 3 hours earlier than the check in time. Our allocated room was not ready so they offered us a free upgrade to a suite which was a smoking room. We are both very anti smoking so asked to be shown the room before making a decision. A lovely girl from Guest Relations showed us to the room which was fab and we did not detect any traces of smoke so agreed to take the room.

They arranged for our luggage to be taken to the room whilst we headed to Shaftesbury Avenue and got on with our weekend!

The suite was lovely with a fabulous huge bed and luxury linen. Beautiful soft furnishings and elegant furniture made us feel very special.

The staff at this hotel are all extremely friendly and efficient in all areas of this hotel. They certainly go all out to make sure their guests enjoy their stay and boy - is this hotel busy! Full of overseas visitors and a few english whilst we were there and staff on hand to assist with enquiries.

A great hotel in a good location. Definitely recommend this hotel and want to come back very soon!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,780)

Reviewed 30 July 2011

Five nights at Grosvenor House, nice and clean bedroom, attentive staff, specially front desk. Package included breakfast buffet style, good variety and quantity. Near tube station Marble Arch and near Oxford St., Hyde Park... Would recommend and visit again!

Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Excellent hotel for that special weekend away. Although I'd visited the capital many times with work etc, I'd never done the 'touristy bit' and so I decided to treat my wife and son to a relaxing Christmas break and splashed out on the Grosvenor House as part of a Theatre / City break. Situation is perfect for sightseeing, shopping or a just walk in the Park.
The Grosvenor is a lovely place to stay, well appointed, upper class for sure, but very relaxing and with all the facilities you could wish for. The rooms are large and comfortable but be careful. I'd asked for a room opposite Hyde Park, for the view, but found it a bit noisy, so after one night I asked for a quiet room and was pleased to see that when we arrived back from an afternoon out, we had been moved to an inside room. Not much of a view, but a more peaceful night.
The breakfast is the usual quality hotel fare, all well cooked and with a vast array that is just too tempting. I don't usually eat a large breakfast, but the food just will not be ignored.
The staff were all very helpful and polite, the room change was handled superbly, they even moved our clothes and stuff whilst we were out, without being asked. Nice touch.
Without doubt, the Grosvenor is expensive, but with a bit of browsing, deals are available and we felt that the hotel was well worth the price we paid. The drink prices in the Red Bar are quite steep, as is the norm in a hotel of this calibre, however, there is a great pub just a few yards from the hotels 'back door' where prices are more moderate and they serve good English beer.
We didn't get around to sampling all the choices of eateries in the hotel, but did have a wonderful evening in the Steakhouse. The food is truly memorable and although expensive, we thought the whole evening well worth it. Try the 'on the bone' Rib Eye but bring a good appetite with you.
So, a lovely classy hotel, but at a premium price. Worth saving up for though.
If I ever do win the lottery, I may well take one of the private suites on the upper floors !

Room Tip: Some rooms on can be a bit noisy, if this is a problem, ask for a quiet room.
  • Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank Silvascoop
Reviewed 29 July 2011

This was our second visit to this hotel. We were there 2 years ago and it was the same wonderful stay. It is close to the tube and a wonderful neighborhood, Mayfair, to walk around and across the street from Hyde Park. The hotel room was clean and comfortable and breakfast included in our stay was plentiful and delicious.
I would certainly come back again,

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 July 2011

Kind ,helpful ,caring and attentive staff from the minute you arrive at the front door.
Rooms spacious and comfortable.Steakhouse restaurant a must to visit -excellent staff & fantastic food-don't miss the cheesecake.Great breakfasts..Love the reception area-so much space,always looks and smells beautiful.Will certainly go back.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 July 2011

I found this hotel to be clean, welcoming, spacious, and well-located. I arrived early in the morning and the friendly front-desk staff worked to find a room for me to check into early, and after a quick breakfast, a room was prepared. It was far larger than I expected from a European hotel, and when I had issues with the ethernet cable in the room, a new one was brought up within minutes of calling the front desk. The concierge was also helpful, providing restaurant and taxi/tube tips along with friendly conversation. As far as the room goes, the bed was 'sleepable' but nothing special, and the shower and bathroom amenities were pretty nice. The hotel is located across the street from Hyde Park, near multiple tube stops and has several dining options inside and nearby. I thought my room had a smell to it - not a bad smell, but some sort of scent, which I found a bit odd. Other than that, the hotel was a great place to stay and I'd definitely consider returning.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 July 2011

I stayed at this hotel approximately 30-40 nights over the last 6 months.

The Good:
- The rooms are OK
- The people running the executive lounge are nice and will try to help when they can
- Room service is very quick

The Bad:
- The worst experience was having a tube card stolen from my room (with over 45 pounds on it). To make matters worse, whomever stole it replaced it with a tube card that had 1 pound on it (clearly it wasn't the same tube card as it was very worn). After battling this for 2 weeks, and having security tell me the only person in the room couldn't have possible stolen the card because she was "honest", I gave up. Isn't there a law in London that you have to replace stolen property? In all my 300 nights at marriott hotels, I have never had this happen. Considering other people are also complaining about stolen goods, I would safely say there is a thief in the hotel.
- Executive lounge is overcrowded. At 5 oclock, the lounge fills up for the food that comes out at 5:30. You cannot get a seat as people stay there the entire night. The same situation in the morning. The lounge has a more cafeteria / canteen feel to it then lounge feel.
- Everything is extremely expensive. To give an example, a burger will run you around 30 USD / 18 pounds. If you order it to room service, expect another 5 or so pounds in service charges.
- It took an act of god to have them give me a bigger room on the same floor (even though the hotel was not to capacity). I had to speak to about 5 people before the request was even considered.
- No wifi (really?)

Room Tip: Platinum status doesn't help. You just have to shell out the money.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
10  Thank Carathie
Management response:Responded 26 July 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your stays at the hotel in March and April. I am sorry to see that you remain upset about the alleged theft of your Oyster card despite being compensated for this as a gesture of goodwill and due to your Platinum Marriott Rewards status. I understood from your email to my colleague who was helping you with this that you were appreciative of the outcome, despite being disappointed at the time it took to resolve, something which I have followed up on personally. I can assure you that the matter was fully investigated and no definitive explanation for the loss could be reached.

I am sorry that you feel your Platinum status was not adequately recognised. I see from your reservations that you were upgraded two categories to an Executive Room on both of your last two stays. Unfortunately, due to the demand for our suites, we are unable to upgrade guests into these without the relevant supplement being paid. I am pleased to tell you that the work on installing wifi to the hotel is already underway and will be operational by September/October.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of you staying with us again in the near future so that we may demonstrate to you the imrpovements we are making in our service. Thank you again for your feedback.

Kind regards