“A class act”

Ranked #235 of 1,063 Hotels in London
UK
“A class act”
Reviewed 22 February 2012

I've been there for a number of big conferences but not stayed there until recently.

Put simply, these guys are good. The hotel part works very well, nice rooms, a "turn down service" in the evening completely reset my room. The big dinner capability is amazing. They do a miraculous job of catering for around 1200 people (IMHO).

The location is a lovely part of London.

My only negative is that on the lower floors the mobile signal isn't good. Higher up, I found a great 3G signal on Vodafone. I guess the problem is they need a big mast in the middle of Hyde Park, which isn't that likely!

Enjoy!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank P0WDERM0NKEY

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (467)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Warrington, uk
Reviewed 22 February 2012

I’ve stayed at this hotel on a number of occasions on reward points, and having seen some other Marriott’s other London offerings I think this is my favourite . It’s slightly less convenient for most things than the St Pancrass, or Renaissance on Holborn; but in terms of true elegance I don’t think it can be beaten.

The Grosvenor provides classical elegance, nothing tacky or ostentatious and not modern in terms of minimalist furniture or small square bathroom sinks. The staff at reception have always been helpful and the residents lounge is excellent serving: a good breakfast, afternoon tea, evening snacks and evening pre-dinner drinks including a full range of spirits, beers and champagne all complementary (note this is only for executive guests or Marriott Gold/Platinum members). My limited experience of the bar downstairs is good although it’s very expensive and doesn’t serve draft beers, only bottles.

The rooms are very comfortable with (as advertised on the website) marble bathroom suites and (not well documented) amazing showers which are almost powerful enough to blast the skin right off your body if turned up to full power. The beds are excellent and always provide a wonderful night’s sleep. The rest of the room is usual high quality hotel fare: large flat screen TV, document safe, fridge, desk, bathrobes, and even an umbrella in the wardrobe in case of rain.

The only problem I’ve had with the Grosvenor House is ironically the address, Park lane is well known for being a nice part of town but isn’t ideally convenient for most things except for Hyde Park, the Embassies in Grosvenor Square, The Royal Albert Hall and West End shopping. The hotel is about half way between two tube stations (Marble Arch and Hyde Park Corner) each about 300m down the road; and is easily served by taxis which do make travel reasonable. That said there are better located hotels for sightseeing, and certainly for the east end of London e.g. The City/Canary Wharf.

Overall I obviously love this hotel it’s a great place to stay. The only thing I would say is that in terms of Marriotts the St Pancrass Hotel is also worth considering as my potential other London pick, especially if modern is your thing, or if it is perhaps better positioned for where you want to be in town.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank WarringtonWainwright
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We stayed at this hotel as we loved the location and go to Marriott Hotels whenever possible. It was clean and beautifully kept. We did NOT eat breakfast there as we felt it was way too expensive. The hotel has great ambiance and nice rooms. Be prepared to spend money to go there!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Southern California
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Four of us old codgers on our way to visit a dam project in Sri Lanka our father helped construct in the 50's, picked London for a two-night stopover and Grosvenor House because JW Marriots are known for their gracious hospitality.
Level of hospitality did not disappoint and I might mention that Michela, at the registration desk, Marek, the doorman and Thomas, the concierge, could not have been more friendly and accomodating in meeting needs and providing information/additional services.
An advantage is that the place is beautifully constructed, fashionably decorated and imparts a strong feeling of historic London since it's in the middle of the centuries-old Mayfair district and only a short walk to the tour bus line at Hyde Park and other places of interest like Harrods.
Age, however, also contributes somewhat to the downside: Rooms and beds are smaller than you'd expect and the shower involves climbing in and out of the bathtub. Shower had great pressure, but operation, involving several handles, was a challenge.
Amenities (linens/pillows, bath items, carpets, furnishings) met expectations and cleanliness/room-service level was outstanding.
We ate two meals at the steak house which offered food prepared with care at reasonable (for London) prices. We ate another meal at a traditional pub we were directed to and enjoyed the ale served with menu items of meat pies and fish and chips.
Do it again? Yes, but would have requested a higher floor when making reservation. And thought the charge for internet access was excessive. Might mention, tho, that the place provides a platform for 'people watching' that is unmatched.

Room Tip: See comment above re floor choice
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank TraveLee073
jeddah
Reviewed 19 February 2012

it's 5 minute walking to oxford street,the hotel is comfortable and one of the best hotels in london

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2012

I visit London 1 to 3 times a year and have stayed at this hotel through priceline booking twice and was delighted with the stay. To save time in seaching for other hotels on my London trip in future, I decided to book directly through the hotel web site for my 3 nights stay two months ahead of my arrival, hoping to make this hotel my choice of accommodation. In order to have a good rest, I decided to take the day flight instead of night flight. Upon my arrival at 9+pm at the hotel, we were allocated on the 1st floor room and I was absolutely disappointed with the room as the previous reviewer wrote, the room is really small with two 3' single bed joined together and with a thick wall outside the window and have very limited signal on my mobile & 3 internet dongle. Bathroom is small and a display of empty shower cap box (luckily I have a spare one in my toiletries bag and too tired to call for it).

On the next morning I really cannot receive my call properly due to poor signal and I decided to ask for a room change as I told the receptionist that I did not want to make it my last stay at this hotel as I'm returning in March 2012, luckily she can allocate another room but told us to pack and leave our luggage in the room and they will bring our luggage to the new room upon our return. As we went out around 9am and returned from New Bond St (about 500+m walked) at 12:30noon all wet as me & my College daughter were caught in the rain without a room (previous room key returned), we waited for 15 min without anynews and I told the same receptionist again that we really need a room to change before we proceed to our next lunch appointment at The Metropolitan Hotel. We finally got another room with a street view on the same floor but have to transfer our own luggage.

On the check out at 9am, we called for concierge twice to deliver our luggage down but ended up having to do it ourselves.

The nearest tube is Marble Arch & Oxford Street shopping which is 643m away from the hotel, if you do not mind the walking distance than this is a good choice of hotel.

To have a peace of mind on my next visit in Mar 12'. I have booked Sofitel London Heathrow for 3 nights and hope to come back with a good review.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Rancho Santa Margarita, California
Reviewed 16 February 2012

The Grosvenor House is a beautiful hotel in the best part of London. From the moment you walk in and see the gorgeous, HUGE flower arrangement in the lobby, you know you will be staying in a truly elegant place. The staff is very friendly and helpful and check in was easy. The rooms are beautifully appointed and large compared to the other two hotels we stayed in during this trip.

The bed was comfortable and had really nice linens. I loved the closet area that had drawers AND shelves as well as an in-room safe. Let me tell you about my favorite- The Bathroom!. There is a large tub/shower combo and everything is marble but the best part is the dual shower heads- one regular sized hand-held (typical in England) and a fabulous, BIG waterfall above you (see my pics). Washing your hair after a long day walking for miles to see the sights is absolute HEAVEN and I am real picky about showers- especially water pressure. It was such a luxurious touch and you will LOVE it. The toiletries are nice and as in all the hotels we visited in England, there is a heated towel rack. There was only one thing that I was disappointed with- there are NO electrical outlets inside the bathroom.....HELLO??? don't the women in England do their hair ??. If you are like me and NEED a blow dryer and flat iron to even walk out the door without scaring people, you will be more than slightly annoyed by this. After my fabulous shower, I had to do hair at the desk- right next to the TV. Good thing my husband was in a pub at the time and didn't have to sit there listening to 1875 watts on High ! Like I said before- the room was lovely, comfortable, luxurious and quiet- so I forgive them this one small thing. I can only speak for the rooms on our floor (lower) and we had no view. Hotel Internet costs a fortune in London- go to the Pubs with free WiFi if you can.

There is really nice gym and a few nice places to eat and drink within the hotel. I also loved seeing the info on the history of the place. If you stay here, keep in mind that this is a very upscale hotel. People are dressed WELL- do not go thinking that your ratty jeans and tennis shoes will be acceptable. In fact- one of the things I LOVED about London is that it's a very sophisticated city and everyone is well dressed, clean and elegant. Take nice stuff- even if you are just sight seeing. We were with a friend that was wearing jeans and tennis shoes and tried to go in the American Bar at The Savoy- no dice. If you do wear jeans- wear good ones and NICE shoes.

The Grosvenor is located in a lovely neighborhood across from Hyde Park. You can walk, take The Tube or a taxi to anywhere you need to go quite easily. We loved taking the trains everywhere- I suggest getting a Day Pass- you can go anywhere, all day for one small fee. Be prepared to WALK but trust me- you will LOVE it .London is truly wonderful and if you want a really posh yet friendly experience- stay at Grosvenor and enjoy !
I