“Very nice hotel, in room service could be better”

Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel
Ranked #254 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 14 March 2013

Recently spent 6 nights at Grosvenor House ...overall a wonderful stay, but with small issues.

Arrived early, 9:30 am, from overnight flight from east coast. The room we had been assigned was not available but we could get a room immediately if we took an inferior room -- which we did, too tired to wait for the other, but from having an external high floor view of London to having an internal look at the opposing wall view for almost a week....not so nice, but it was our choice. Don't know if this would have been different in our original room but while we had a "king" sized bed, we in fact had two twins pushed together! The effect was a large hard hump in the middle of the bed with two very nice soft patches on the sides in which to sleep...but when you went to find your partner the next morning, you rolled from your valley over the hump to his valley -- at $600 a night for a hotel, you don't expect this.

The room we were assigned did not have a working TV and the shower drain backed up to having water up to your ankles. They got us a TV, and "worked" on the drain, it was better but it never really worked cleanly -- yuck.

Maid service in the room was generally very good, but not up to the standard of a hotel of this quality and price point. For example, while the room was serviced at least once a day, three days there was a paper glass coaster on the floor beneath the desk and out of my easy reach. When I initially saw it on the floor I thought, that's odd, they'll catch that at turn down...but it was still there after another cleaning, at which point I left it and it stayed there for three day -- something that the vacuum cleaner could easily reach and get, odd.

We had access to the Executive Lounge on the 7th floor...this is a real highlight of the hotel. Breakfast, snacks. tea w/ cakes, evening appetizers, etc. Full service from 6am to midnight, including beer and wine available at happy hour. This was a great spot, perhaps busy at times, but we could always find a table or chair in short order. Nice to meet other travelers and there is a good blend of business and tourist travelers. Only complaint here, and perhaps this is British, but the only time there was cake or fancy sweets available was at tea time when we were always out to the hotel. Dessert offerings were exclusively cookies, nuts, chips -- but no cake or tarts as are served at tea time...

There is a computer in Exec Lounge with printer for Boarding passes, but printer frequently on the disabled list...easier to go downstairs to the very functional Business Center.

Overall would stay here again, had a great time with minor hiccups.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Morten S, Hotel Manager at Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review after your most resent visit with us.

It is only with feedback such as yours that we can improve upon the service we provide to all of our guest. I truly appreciate you sharing those areas were we evidently could have performed slightly better in.

In order for me to follow up in more detail with our team, I would truly be grateful if you could forward me your details so that I can research your concerns.

I do hope we get an opportunity to welcome you back to Grosvenor House and to show you the service levels we have become known for among so many of our loyal guests.

Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,782)

Reviewed 12 March 2013

The hotel staff was wonderful. The lobby was very nice. I give them an average rating because of the price and Room Quality. We had a very small room. The shower didn't get hot enough (just warm). Internet was at an additional cost. I hate when expensive hotels try to hit you with extra fees! I made a 5min phone call to wish my daughter a happy Birthday. They charged me 23 pounds ($34) for the call. Really??? Location was next to Hyde park but would have rather been located closer to Piccadilly Circus.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for posting your review from your most recent visit at Grosvenor House.

I am pleased to see that you found the service provided by the team to be of a very high quality and that you enjoyed the overall decor and feel of the public areas.

Thank you for your feedback about the size of our guest rooms, the temperature of the shower, costs of phone calls and the WIFI service charge. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Although we pride ourselves of having some of the most spacious accommodations in London, I am sorry you felt the room size was very small. You may also be pleased to know that in a very short period of time we will offer 24 hour complimentary WIFI service in all of our food and beverage outlets and our lobby areas. I do hope you get to enjoy this on a future visit.

Once again, thank you for your review. I am hoping we get a chance to welcome you back to our hotel at some point in the future.

Reviewed 10 March 2013

Just stayed for a couple of nights, as it’s always been one of my dreams since I was a little girl to stay in a hotel in Park Lane. I could not have been more delighted with its elegance and such lovely staff, it was like coming home.
It was British Pie week in the Steakhouse Restaurant, I told hubby who was so looking forward to the Pie for that night, but I then realised I had got the wrong night as we stood looking at the menu. The Restaurant Director Raoul was passing by and asked if he could help. After explaining that hubby would have loved the pie from the night before, he took us to the bar and said he would go and talk to Chef to see if there were any left. A long story short Hubby got the Pie of his dreams. Raoul couldn’t have been more helpful. Chiara our waitress was also excellent and very attentive. Although the prices can be a little steep, we don't consider that an issue when you get service and quality like this.
The rooms are lovely and nicely decorated. We had a king size bed that you could have fitted four people in!! and one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in.
Sam was very helpful and friendly at check out and although it was busy we didn’t feel rushed. He was very professional.
We cannot praise the staff highly enough, they really went out of their way to make our stay so enjoyable.
Our only complaint - the weather it rained!!!! But even then there was an umbrella in the wardrobe!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank PandNic

Thank you for posting such a wonderful review based upon your experience from your very recent stay here with us.

I am immensely proud to see that Raoul, Chiara and Sam made such an impression on you during your stay. After all, it is exactly this what hospitality is all about; making long lasting memories. I will make sure that they all receive a letter of commendation. I do hope you enjoy the pie made especially for you by our chef.

I do look forward to welcoming you back to Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott HOtel on your next visit to London. Please do let me know if I can be of any assistance, as it would be my pleasure to assist in any way I can.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 10 March 2013

Celebrating our anniversary and treated ourselves to a night in the city and chose to stay at Grosvenor House on Park Lane.
The hotel is very pleasant in that typical american idea of luxury/cheesy elegance way. We had a really nice stay that was completely ruined at the last moment.
There was insufficient space in the concierge lounge for breakfast and we were given a voucher to receive a complimentary breakfast in the main restaurant. We redeemed the voucher at JW Steakhouse and had a pleasant breakfast.
When we came to check out I was informed that we had run up £77 of charges, I was expecting none. So when I asked the receptionist, what the charges were I was asked "Are you saying you didn't have breakfast in the restaurant" I explained the situation and the receptionist gave me a scrap of paper and asked me to write my name, email address and phone number on it and someone would contact me to discuss the bill. I explained that I was not going to leave with this matter unresolved and he disapearred into a back room, re-emerging 5 minutes later saying he had been unable to resolve anything. We started again, this time he said that I should give him the voucher, I explained again that I had handed it in at the restaurant which he clearly didn't believe me.
So I asked what all the charges were and was told there was an additional charge for the minibar, which we hadn't used. That charge was removed leaving £72 for two breakfasts. I said "would it help if I went to the restaurant to recover the voucher?" I said expecting this would shame the guy into action, but imagine my surprise when he said "yes that would help". So off I went back to the restaurant to try to get the voucher from them. The maitre d'hotel was agog when I explained the situation she tried to call the front desk, but noone answered so she sent me back with an instruction that the items should be removed from the bill. Finally the receptionist agreed. However he refused to give us details of to whom we should complain as we were now late for mother's day lunch and didn't have time to see the manager there and then.
Shame really because it was in every other respect a really good stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank fellamee

Dear Fellamee,

Thank you for taking the time to provide such a detailed outline from your recent stay here with us. As we had also received the same feedback from the guest questionnaire you filled in, I believe your concerns have already been addressed.

I am deeply sorry that what otherwise seem to have been such a great stay was marred by this unfortunate incident. It is always in everyone's interest to resolve any misunderstandings as quickly as possible and as in every Marriott hotel there is either a Guest Relations Executive or a Manager on Duty present that may assist you with any concerns you may have. I am sorry to hear that a member of staff did not offer this service to you.

I do hope that despite this unfortunate misunderstanding we will be able to welcoming you back to Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel.

Reviewed 9 March 2013

We stayed with the family at Grosvenor House and enjoyed it very much. The location is beautiful in front of High Park and only five minutes from Marble Arch tube station and Oxford St.
Rooms were good in size and the bed was very comfortable. Breakfast is very expensive, but if you're willing to pay the selection is quite good. There's also a convenient Starbucks in the hotel that offers a perfect option for snacks and coffee.
The last refurbishment was in 2004 so there's already signs indicating a new make over is due, but not so much that would affect our experience.
I recommend this hotel for anyone staying in central London, and we would stay here again in the future.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank vsilva

Dear Vsilva,

Thank you for taking your time to write a review after your stay with us. I am delighted you found the hotel to be in such a perfect location for your days here in London.

It is great to see that you enjoyed the spacious accommodations, the now famous Marriott bedding and the convenience of Starbucks offerings in our Park Lane Market.

The entire Grosvenor House team are looking forward to welcoming you and your family back on your next trip to the United Kingdom.

Reviewed 9 March 2013

We stayed one night at this 5 star hotel, opposite Hyde Park, in central London. And wish we could have stayed longer. Although a little too traditional for me the room was very very comfortable. Wonderful large bed goose down duvet and mattress cover making it feel very luxurious. The staff from the front of house to the chambermaids were all very chatty, helpful, pleasant, and attentive. We ate in the restaurant with friends and it was not that badly priced for London, and the food was excellent along with the service, ranging from fish and chips through to steak. The special was steak and kidney pie not served as you would imagine beautifully presented. The hotel's speciality desert was cheese cake, absolutely divine but be warned we had one between the 4 of us! but is a must if you like deserts, heaven.
We did not sample the breakfast as still too full from the previous evening, but ate in the cafe inside the hotel nice Danish pastry's fresh fruit porridge and coffee..etc
The hotel offered something for everyone's taste and we didn't have to go out unless you really wanted to.
Would definitely recommend to friends.

Room Tip: We had a room at the back of the hotel on 6th floor nice and quiet and good views of the London skyl...