“Fantastic...Everything” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #210 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Fantastic...Everything”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2013

Spent 4 great nights here.
Room was large and spacious. Breakfast buffet had it all. Location couldn't be better to see London on foot. The staff was always helpful to assist with any questions / requests we had. Everything just worked like a 5 star hotel should!!!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Morten S, Hotel Manager at Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 24 March 2013
Dear Hjrex,

Thank you for choosing Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel for your stay in London.

I am truly delighted to read you review and will make it a point to share it with the entire team.

It will be our pleasure to welcome you back to Grosvenor House on your next visit to our wonderful city.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (459)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2013

Stayed here mid March 2013 for one week. The JW Steakhouse had a great breakfast spread - huge buffet. But I will say if you're like me (an American interested in eating British food while in Britain), might want to consider going to the a pub down the road for supper because JW's is an American steakhouse. Good food...just not what I personally wanted for supper in England.

The rooms were nice, no complaints. It's not the Ritz Carlton, but let's be real - in London, who wants to sit in their room all day anyway?! There's apparently some sort of motion sensor in the room, so a couple nights I was reading in bed and the lights would suddenly turn off, had to wave my arms around to get them to come back on. I'm sure there's a switch you can flip to have the lights stay on, though.

Staff is friendly and attentive. Everyone is from different countries so it was fun to talk to people and find out where they're from.

The location was good, right across from Hyde Park and close to nice shopping, museums, food, etc. We never had trouble getting a cab behind the hotel.

Now to the one definite drawback: connectivity. You can pay for Internet, or you can use one hour of free wifi per day down in the lobby. Problem is, the free wifi doesn't work. Like, ever. It's just hard to believe that rest stops and coffee shops can offer wifi in the UK without incident, and a nice hotel can't. I know, I know, you can pay to have Internet in your room. But if all you need to do is hop online to receive/send a few emails, might as well wait til you come across a Starbucks and do it there. Definitely a disappointment for me, because I needed to check on things with my job from time to time.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Ms123456
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor.

I am happy to see that you enjoyed your stay overall and that you got a chance to visit the JW Steakhouse for the superb breakfast spread every morning. It is truly a great treat. I am also delighted that you found the service to be both attentive and warm.

Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience you experienced with the motion sensor in your guest room. What you experienced is not how it should operate and I would be grateful if you could forward me your room accommodation details so that I may have this issue rectified.

Thank you for your observations with the WIFI service in our guest rooms. Although it would not be correct to compare WIFI service of a small coffee shop or similar to one in a large hotel like ours, I am sorry to learn that you experienced problems with your connections. We have worked closely with our internet provider over the last six months to meet the need of the ever increasing speed required as the usage of WIFI devices increases significantly month to month. I am sorry that you still experienced some issues. However, I am pleased to announce that within a very short period of time all of our guests will be able to enjoy complimentary 24 hour WIFI access in our food and beverage outlets and public areas of the hotel.

Thank you once again for taking the time to post your review. I do look forward to welcoming you again to the Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel on your next visit to London.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2013

As a frequent traveler I was in London from March 5 - March 9. This hotel has seen a transformation over the last 2 years. The rooms are warm, elegantly furnished, and super clean. The breakfast and the Steakhouse restaurant at the hotel is one of the best in London if you're a business traveler or a tourist who wants a high-end experience. The location is great, as it is central to everything - from eating to shopping and visiting museums. The service and the staff are welcoming and efficient. If you are able to book your hotel arrangements ahead of time and you go through British Airways hotel booking system, you can often get a terrific room rate. During my stay, my room rate including VAT and other service charges was slightly over $300 and for London, this is a great bargain for a great and majestic hotel that makes you feel at home.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Dear Odeh A,

Thank you for your wonderful review posted after you visit with us earlier this month.

As you are a frequent traveler to London and other locations world wide, you are in a unique position to compare us to other hotels and I truly value your feedback.

As one of the iconic London hotels on the famous Park Lane, the hotel carries a great deal of history and the service we provide has always been legendary. I am delighted to see that you have seen the hotel transform into a luxury hotel over the last few years.

Thank you for your kind comments about the maid service as well as the professional and personal service provided by the team. Also, I am delighted to learn that you got to enjoy the JW Steakhouse breakfast with it's large buffet offering combined with made-to-order omelettes and eggs.

It will be my pleasure to welcome you back to London and Grosvenor House Hotel on your next visit to our city.

virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2013

Recently spent 6 nights at Grosvenor House ...overall a wonderful stay, but with small issues.

Arrived early, 9:30 am, from overnight flight from east coast. The room we had been assigned was not available but we could get a room immediately if we took an inferior room -- which we did, too tired to wait for the other, but from having an external high floor view of London to having an internal look at the opposing wall view for almost a week....not so nice, but it was our choice. Don't know if this would have been different in our original room but while we had a "king" sized bed, we in fact had two twins pushed together! The effect was a large hard hump in the middle of the bed with two very nice soft patches on the sides in which to sleep...but when you went to find your partner the next morning, you rolled from your valley over the hump to his valley -- at $600 a night for a hotel, you don't expect this.

The room we were assigned did not have a working TV and the shower drain backed up to having water up to your ankles. They got us a TV, and "worked" on the drain, it was better but it never really worked cleanly -- yuck.

Maid service in the room was generally very good, but not up to the standard of a hotel of this quality and price point. For example, while the room was serviced at least once a day, three days there was a paper glass coaster on the floor beneath the desk and out of my easy reach. When I initially saw it on the floor I thought, that's odd, they'll catch that at turn down...but it was still there after another cleaning, at which point I left it and it stayed there for three day -- something that the vacuum cleaner could easily reach and get, odd.

We had access to the Executive Lounge on the 7th floor...this is a real highlight of the hotel. Breakfast, snacks. tea w/ cakes, evening appetizers, etc. Full service from 6am to midnight, including beer and wine available at happy hour. This was a great spot, perhaps busy at times, but we could always find a table or chair in short order. Nice to meet other travelers and there is a good blend of business and tourist travelers. Only complaint here, and perhaps this is British, but the only time there was cake or fancy sweets available was at tea time when we were always out to the hotel. Dessert offerings were exclusively cookies, nuts, chips -- but no cake or tarts as are served at tea time...

There is a computer in Exec Lounge with printer for Boarding passes, but printer frequently on the disabled list...easier to go downstairs to the very functional Business Center.

Overall would stay here again, had a great time with minor hiccups.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review after your most resent visit with us.

It is only with feedback such as yours that we can improve upon the service we provide to all of our guest. I truly appreciate you sharing those areas were we evidently could have performed slightly better in.

In order for me to follow up in more detail with our team, I would truly be grateful if you could forward me your details so that I can research your concerns.

I do hope we get an opportunity to welcome you back to Grosvenor House and to show you the service levels we have become known for among so many of our loyal guests.

Hartsville, South Carolina, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2013

The hotel staff was wonderful. The lobby was very nice. I give them an average rating because of the price and Room Quality. We had a very small room. The shower didn't get hot enough (just warm). Internet was at an additional cost. I hate when expensive hotels try to hit you with extra fees! I made a 5min phone call to wish my daughter a happy Birthday. They charged me 23 pounds ($34) for the call. Really??? Location was next to Hyde park but would have rather been located closer to Piccadilly Circus.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for posting your review from your most recent visit at Grosvenor House.

I am pleased to see that you found the service provided by the team to be of a very high quality and that you enjoyed the overall decor and feel of the public areas.

Thank you for your feedback about the size of our guest rooms, the temperature of the shower, costs of phone calls and the WIFI service charge. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Although we pride ourselves of having some of the most spacious accommodations in London, I am sorry you felt the room size was very small. You may also be pleased to know that in a very short period of time we will offer 24 hour complimentary WIFI service in all of our food and beverage outlets and our lobby areas. I do hope you get to enjoy this on a future visit.

Once again, thank you for your review. I am hoping we get a chance to welcome you back to our hotel at some point in the future.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2013

Just stayed for a couple of nights, as it’s always been one of my dreams since I was a little girl to stay in a hotel in Park Lane. I could not have been more delighted with its elegance and such lovely staff, it was like coming home.
It was British Pie week in the Steakhouse Restaurant, I told hubby who was so looking forward to the Pie for that night, but I then realised I had got the wrong night as we stood looking at the menu. The Restaurant Director Raoul was passing by and asked if he could help. After explaining that hubby would have loved the pie from the night before, he took us to the bar and said he would go and talk to Chef to see if there were any left. A long story short Hubby got the Pie of his dreams. Raoul couldn’t have been more helpful. Chiara our waitress was also excellent and very attentive. Although the prices can be a little steep, we don't consider that an issue when you get service and quality like this.
The rooms are lovely and nicely decorated. We had a king size bed that you could have fitted four people in!! and one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in.
Sam was very helpful and friendly at check out and although it was busy we didn’t feel rushed. He was very professional.
We cannot praise the staff highly enough, they really went out of their way to make our stay so enjoyable.
Our only complaint - the weather it rained!!!! But even then there was an umbrella in the wardrobe!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank PandNic
Thank you for posting such a wonderful review based upon your experience from your very recent stay here with us.

I am immensely proud to see that Raoul, Chiara and Sam made such an impression on you during your stay. After all, it is exactly this what hospitality is all about; making long lasting memories. I will make sure that they all receive a letter of commendation. I do hope you enjoy the pie made especially for you by our chef.

I do look forward to welcoming you back to Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott HOtel on your next visit to London. Please do let me know if I can be of any assistance, as it would be my pleasure to assist in any way I can.

Macclesfield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2013

Celebrating our anniversary and treated ourselves to a night in the city and chose to stay at Grosvenor House on Park Lane.
The hotel is very pleasant in that typical american idea of luxury/cheesy elegance way. We had a really nice stay that was completely ruined at the last moment.
There was insufficient space in the concierge lounge for breakfast and we were given a voucher to receive a complimentary breakfast in the main restaurant. We redeemed the voucher at JW Steakhouse and had a pleasant breakfast.
When we came to check out I was informed that we had run up £77 of charges, I was expecting none. So when I asked the receptionist, what the charges were I was asked "Are you saying you didn't have breakfast in the restaurant" I explained the situation and the receptionist gave me a scrap of paper and asked me to write my name, email address and phone number on it and someone would contact me to discuss the bill. I explained that I was not going to leave with this matter unresolved and he disapearred into a back room, re-emerging 5 minutes later saying he had been unable to resolve anything. We started again, this time he said that I should give him the voucher, I explained again that I had handed it in at the restaurant which he clearly didn't believe me.
So I asked what all the charges were and was told there was an additional charge for the minibar, which we hadn't used. That charge was removed leaving £72 for two breakfasts. I said "would it help if I went to the restaurant to recover the voucher?" I said expecting this would shame the guy into action, but imagine my surprise when he said "yes that would help". So off I went back to the restaurant to try to get the voucher from them. The maitre d'hotel was agog when I explained the situation she tried to call the front desk, but noone answered so she sent me back with an instruction that the items should be removed from the bill. Finally the receptionist agreed. However he refused to give us details of to whom we should complain as we were now late for mother's day lunch and didn't have time to see the manager there and then.
Shame really because it was in every other respect a really good stay.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank fellamee
Dear Fellamee,

Thank you for taking the time to provide such a detailed outline from your recent stay here with us. As we had also received the same feedback from the guest questionnaire you filled in, I believe your concerns have already been addressed.

I am deeply sorry that what otherwise seem to have been such a great stay was marred by this unfortunate incident. It is always in everyone's interest to resolve any misunderstandings as quickly as possible and as in every Marriott hotel there is either a Guest Relations Executive or a Manager on Duty present that may assist you with any concerns you may have. I am sorry to hear that a member of staff did not offer this service to you.

I do hope that despite this unfortunate misunderstanding we will be able to welcoming you back to Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel.